Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Pro Race Talk

Post subject: 10 Questions with Guy Martin
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
10 Questions with Guy Martin, Professional Roadracer
The best racer you may have never heard of.
From the July, 2011 issue of Super Streetbike

Why do you love the Isle of Man TT and other street races over short circuits?

Well that’s dead easy really, ‘cos it’s a buzz. Circuit and track racing don’t really give me the same high. I keep trying to find something that offers the same buzz, but haven’t found anything yet…

Why don’t you do as well on short circuits as on the roads?

I just don’t have the passion for it. My passion is on the roads. Winning the TT is on my list of things to do before I die, and until I tick that box, I can’t concentrate on winning any short circuits. I have to crack the roads before I do the tracks.

What’s the scariest moment you’ve had on a bike?

I thought the game was over last year [Guy had a massive crash at the TT in 2010], when I slid and hit the wall. It wasn’t scary – you just think, “Oh well, that’s it – game over,” in a pretty calm way. I’ve had a few moments like that. The buzz I got from my crash in 2010, I mean it just looked so spectacular. And now I’ll just keep riding to try and get that same buzz again. I’m not trying to sound hard or anything, but I could die tomorrow and I’d be quite happy.

What’s it like flying through the little villages at the Isle of Man TT at full speed on a superbike?

I suppose I’m sort of immune to it all now. On the first night of practice it’s still a bit of a shock. But after a week of practice, you’re numb to it—you’re picking out faces in the crowd at 150 mph.

Do you have a street bike?

I have an old Martek turbo that I’m building myself. Just working on getting it running right now actually.

How do you ride on the road? Crazy or calm?

I’m a dickhead, yeah. I mean, I don’t do stupid overtakes or anything to endanger other people, but give me a straight of open road and that’s it, I’m having it. I just get a buzz out of speed; it’s all about going fast and getting near stuff.

What would be your dream bike?

Ah, V1000 Britten, no question. John Britten made it in his shed. I think he was a bit eccentric. He had money from property, and he just put it into motorbikes. He made his own carbon fiber frame and his own carbon fiber wheels. There were ten built, and I know where each one is. If I win the lottery, I’m buying one of those.

What’s your ideal day off? Beer and partying, or energy drinks and the gym?

I love working but on a day off, I like to ride my pedal bike. Recently on a nice Sunday I packed up my bike and drove to a decathlon (and won). I just want to race. There’s no substitute for it. It’s like Steve McQueen said – life is racing, anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Do you have any fun cars?

Yes, I have a 1972 Saab 96. I’ve had it for ten years, and it’s mega. It’s very me. I’ve painted it black with flames up the sides and onto the bonnet, and it’s got leopard skin seats. I’ve never seen another one on the road. I’ve also got a 2003 Astra diesel van and an Aston Martin Vantage V12, which sits in my workshop. It hasn’t turned a wheel in seven months, but it’s the sort of car I think I’ll just keep.

Have you ever been to the US?

Yes, loads of times. Never raced, but last time, me and a few mates flew into LA, went raving with glowsticks, rented a car, drove to San Fran and did the Alcatraz thing, and then drove down to Reno and Las Vegas, before coming back to LA. It was an expensive ten days!

http://www.superstreetbike.com/features ... index.html

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Pro Race Talk