Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions

Post subject: Nesba Riders Please read and post up
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:28 pm 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 06 zx10r
Bike/Plate #: 480
Ive read a few threads and this sight seems to have quite a few Nesba members. I figured ide ask the question to you guys and girls to see how you feel. First off let me say Im not bashing but seeking insight. A few years back when I decided to start riding on the track I had a bad experience with the guy on the other end of the line. He was being a dick for no reason when I was just a noob trying to figure out get my feet wet. I wrote off the org refusing to give any of my money to a company that would treat perspective customers this way. Since then I have heard what has become the typical "Nesba experience" . People have complained of members having an elitist attitude, being brain washed and being buttholes. Its easy to right the org off but Im curious of why you members think this idea exist, if you care and any other ideas you care to share. Without a doubt the Nesba way produces very fast riders/ racers. Once again I'm not writing this to bash because of my bad experience but would like an insiders view of the club and why things are the way they are.

Corey
CCS AM 480

Post subject: Re: Nesba Riders Please read and post up
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
As a disclaimer I started with NESBA, I’m an “I” group rider (probably perennially), and I’ve done likely well over half of my track time with NESBA. There are NESBA CR’s here and will probably run me off the track and make me die in a ball of flaming British metal and hippie hair the next time out :eek:

Every organization seems to be somewhat cliquish with regulars singing its virtues and white washing its flaws. In my experience a lot of what ticks riders off about NESBA, particularly those who ride with other orgs, is a “disagreement” with the group they are placed in and the rate at which they are bumped. NESBA groups do not coincide well with most of the other orgs and egos get bruised.
To me the way that NESBA structures it’s groups and the strict system of rider promotion and passing rules is a huge net plus. Unlike most other orgs, the letter on the front of the bike actually stands for something other than the typically unsubstantiated opinion and self-assessment of the guy riding the bike. This may also account for some of the attitude of the riders. When people post up about how they ride Advanced with org X often times they are riders that would not get a bump out of B with NESBA. When a rider has that NESBA A on the front of the bike it actually means they are a quick and competent track rider. There is a sense of achievement in getting the “I” and then the “A”. Does that lead to a degree of elitism, maybe….
That you had a bad experience with someone, I presume a CR, should not indict the whole organization. There are people and CR’s with NESBA that rub me the wrong way. I can say the same thing of the other orgs I’ve ridden with as well. There is one organization in particular that I have almost no interest in riding with again. Others I’m not entirely impressed with and private groups that I think run the best track days like the one that Dave (Wolley) puts together at Jennings every year: All the best from NESBA without any of the corporate overhead.
I do think NESBA has gotten a bit less fun than it used to be 3 years ago when I first started. Maybe it’s just the personalities of the guys I started with that made a great impression that are no longer around or some of the corporate changes particularly in the last year or so. I don’t think it’s as good as it used to be. It’s still a great org with some great folks, particularly in the CR and regional director department. I regret the changes they have made in memberships and their parts/tire people. I think both suck. I never thought I’d say that miss Chris Moon’s friendly demeanor – after dealing with Brain at the new store the Russian guy that plays Peggy in the Discover commercials is a customer service employee of the year.
Another thing is that attitudes differ from track to track with every org. Different management, different CR’s and to a large degree different clientele all contribute to vastly different experiences even within the same organization.

All in all it’s still the best org I’ve ridden with – it has it’s wrinkles like all the others but maybe a part of my brainwashing is that I think it does do things better than the others I’ve tried.

Just my $0.02

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 pm 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 06 zx10r
Bike/Plate #: 480
I appreciate that honest response. Thanks.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
The important part is to find an org that works for you and puts on events at tracks and times that agree with your schedule. No one org will make everyone happy.

The important part for the forum is that everyone feels free to speak their mind and mingle regardless of the org they think may be best or for that matter worst.

So long as people are honest as to why they like or dislike whatever topic at hand everything is fair game here. I think all of us welcome debate, spirited at times, on how we can become better, faster and safer track riders and racers and how the people that operate track and race orgs can help this along :thumbup:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
I pretty much agree with exactly what Mike said. I have limited experience since I have only ridden with 3 different orgs and I have done most of my days with NESBA. NESBA definitely holds it riders and groups to a higher level of riding competency than other orgs. However I believe this is not just to claim to be better, but is more of a safety matter. I have seen near catastrophic accidents with other orgs because riders can put themselves in whatever group they want. The rules built by NESBA are for a reason and I believe the first of those reasons is safety.

I always laugh when you hear people complaining about NESBA and the fact that they should be in I group or A group, but they will never actually ride on the track. And if they did, they would most likely find out they are exactly where they should be.

Now to the bad. I agree with Mike, the nature of the NESBA experience has changed since we first started a few years ago. I believe a lot fo the changes they've made, although not quite as good, were necessary to adjust to the poor economy. However my biggest complaint, which matches Mike's is the parts and service dept. Ever since the trackdaystore opened, I have had nothing but issues trying to get parts from them. When Moon used to run the show on the local level, everything was smooth and pretty fast. I really hope they address this issue because it really does leave people bitter.

I will still ride with other orgs (once I get a bike again) if they match my schedule, but I still believe NESBA puts on the best track day and will choose to ride with them whenever possible.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:28 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
mike hit the nail on the head.
i've ridden with NESBA, SportBike TrackTime and Team Promotion. By far NESBA has the better riders. my opinion is, if you want to be a fast trackday rider, get good coaching and really improve your skills...NESBA is the way to go. if you just want to go to the track to have a good time and just ride at your own pace, go with a diff org.

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:15 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
madski wrote:
As a disclaimer I started with NESBA, I’m an “I” group rider (probably perennially), and I’ve done likely well over half of my track time with NESBA. There are NESBA CR’s here and will probably run me off the track and make me die in a ball of flaming British metal and hippie hair the next time out :eek:

Every organization seems to be somewhat cliquish with regulars singing its virtues and white washing its flaws. In my experience a lot of what ticks riders off about NESBA, particularly those who ride with other orgs, is a “disagreement” with the group they are placed in and the rate at which they are bumped. NESBA groups do not coincide well with most of the other orgs and egos get bruised.
To me the way that NESBA structures it’s groups and the strict system of rider promotion and passing rules is a huge net plus. Unlike most other orgs, the letter on the front of the bike actually stands for something other than the typically unsubstantiated opinion and self-assessment of the guy riding the bike. This may also account for some of the attitude of the riders. When people post up about how they ride Advanced with org X often times they are riders that would not get a bump out of B with NESBA. When a rider has that NESBA A on the front of the bike it actually means they are a quick and competent track rider. There is a sense of achievement in getting the “I” and then the “A”. Does that lead to a degree of elitism, maybe….
That you had a bad experience with someone, I presume a CR, should not indict the whole organization. There are people and CR’s with NESBA that rub me the wrong way. I can say the same thing of the other orgs I’ve ridden with as well. There is one organization in particular that I have almost no interest in riding with again. Others I’m not entirely impressed with and private groups that I think run the best track days like the one that Dave (Wolley) puts together at Jennings every year: All the best from NESBA without any of the corporate overhead.
I do think NESBA has gotten a bit less fun than it used to be 3 years ago when I first started. Maybe it’s just the personalities of the guys I started with that made a great impression that are no longer around or some of the corporate changes particularly in the last year or so. I don’t think it’s as good as it used to be. It’s still a great org with some great folks, particularly in the CR and regional director department. I regret the changes they have made in memberships and their parts/tire people. I think both suck. I never thought I’d say that miss Chris Moon’s friendly demeanor – after dealing with Brain at the new store the Russian guy that plays Peggy in the Discover commercials is a customer service employee of the year.
Another thing is that attitudes differ from track to track with every org. Different management, different CR’s and to a large degree different clientele all contribute to vastly different experiences even within the same organization.

All in all it’s still the best org I’ve ridden with – it has it’s wrinkles like all the others but maybe a part of my brainwashing is that I think it does do things better than the others I’ve tried.

Just my $0.02

Straight Shooting from Mike as usual! :thumbup:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 pm 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
(probably perennially)

This is the only part I disagree with...

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:41 pm 
Major 'Ho

I will echo much of what Mike, Nate, and Justin, have said above. I have not had any dealing with the parts and service dept, so I can't comment on that. My experience is a bit different in that I did my first ever 2 - 4 track days with NESBA and then spent the next 2 ish seasons exclusively with other Orgs. There was no concrete reason, my schedule just lined up better with the other Orgs and I wasn't willing to pop for NESBA's $75 membership fee for just 1 or 2 days with NESBA. The group I rode the most with was Sportbike Track Time, mostly at Mid-Ohio.

IMHO - NESBA's policy of not allowing riders into the A group until they are bumped by the control riders makes the org superior to the others. Without this policy, there will absolutely be riders in the A group at every event that don't belong there. NESBA also has some excellent CR's as well that are willing to pass on their considerable knowledge.

You need to give NESBA another try. Don't let one bad experience sour you on the whole org.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:57 am 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
My experience has been varied with NESBA and I think what makes it good also makes it bad depending on your perspective. I started out riding with other orgs before riding with NESBA and I now ride with whatever event fits my schedule. By far and away NESBA is not as laid back as other orgs and I think that translates to the paddock. I think "competing" for a bump can also influence the feel in the paddock. NESBA feels more corporate as others have mentioned than other orgs.

My first couple of days with NESBA I thought the on track coaching would be a huge benefit to me. The events that I've attended it seems the CR's are bombarded with riders after each session and I've never really been able to ask for critique and receive constructive feedback. But that's likely on me as I never tried to approach one of them between sessions and ask for a tow or follow. The passing rules in "I" group really bothered me especially given the amount of traffic that group usually has. However, it is nice to know that no one is going to dive bomb you up the inside when they may or may not have the skill to pull it off.

Getting bumped to advanced really displays the advantages of NESBA though. My first and only day so far in A, there were no traffic jams, no riders that were clearly over their heads, no random check ups or erratic lines. And this is all due to the strictness of their "bump" system.

I've only done five trackdays with NESBA so I'm no authority, but from my perspective the organization running the event has less to do with my enjoyment than the guys I'm actually out there with.

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions