Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions

Post subject: Older vs Newer for track bike
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:36 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
As most of you know, the first 2 1/2 seasons of track riding I did I rode a 2003 Kawi 636. While I will probably never need anything more than that on the track, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are around buying another track bike in regards to older vs newer.

I would never buy a brand new bike to track. I buy track bikes cheap so if I bin it I'm not out as much. But with the Kawi, I also found that older bikes are harder to find parts and usually start requiring more and more maintenance, so a newer bike would be preferable. Plus, I wanted to upgrade to some newer technologies.

So I'm trying to find that line when I go to get a bike this winter as to how old I should go. Didn't know if anyone else had thoughts...

Again, this has nothing to do with my skill as I was not able to ride the '03 636 to its limits much less any other bike. Has everything to do with cost vs maintenance/frustration of an older bike.

Post subject: Re: Older vs Newer for track bike
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I think that what makes sense is something a bit more ubiquitous than the old Zed. They were good bikes but they have always been overshadowed in sheer numbers by others. I'd go with something like a newer R6 or GSXR600 (750) of which there are a few million in track trim, spares out the ass on racing and track forums, loads of aftermarket support, tons of set up knowledge and more performance than most of us will ever use up (and yes I do see the irony of this coming from me).
In fact I really hate the way they list parts on the WERA forum – like “06/07 Subframe For Sale” you know without even opening the damn ad that it’s for a K6/7 GSXR 600/750.
I think they are all more or less reliable, especially if the motor is stock. I would definitely splurge for the built forks and shock – world of difference when you have good bits set up to your needs. I'm sure different bikes have difference areas of interest that may potentially need to be addressed.
It’s always cheaper to buy a track bike already set up but a lot of them are sort of cats in bags. If you find a low miles lightly damaged street bike you might be better off. But I think this is more a matter of opinion than necessarily fact. I’ve tried all three ways: SV was a clean street bike, the Gix was a race bike which served me well but did not treat it next owner very kindly, and my Daytona was a salvage bike which probably cost me more in the end than a clean bike would have.
If I had to do it again I’d try to find a clean late generation street R6, sell off the street stuff and track it out. As much as I love the Daytona the cost of any potential repair is significantly higher than a similar Big 4 offering.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 02 GSXR 600
Bike/Plate #: 909
I bought my 02 gixxr from a retiring WERA guy with boxes of spares. I've had no issues finding parts and experience.
In fact I just bought a Mint exhaust on Fleabay for $75.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:35 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
you and I talked about it before Nate...06/07 GSXR 6/750 or a R6...tons of parts, easy to ride and both can be found a good prices.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:02 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Tib wrote:
you and I talked about it before Nate...06/07 GSXR 6/750 or a R6...tons of parts, easy to ride and both can be found a good prices.

Yeah, think an 06-08 is the timeframe I am going to look at. Thought about going for an 09 or newer, but they are just so expensive still that it's hard to drop that coin on a trackbike. Doesn't seem much has changed from 06-08 models to the 09-11 models. An '08 R6 would be ideal...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:29 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
07 r6, you wont regret it

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
oh my, look at what the cat drug [back] in :moon:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:14 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
madski wrote:
oh my, look at what the cat drug [back] in :moon:

:biglaugh: :toocool:

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:04 am 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 01 r6
Bike/Plate #: 252
i got a 01 yamaha r6 iuse for a track only bike only problem i got is fineing people to do motor work and as parts go ebay . it runs with the newer fuel inj bike

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:56 am 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 636
Bike/Plate #: 0
I have the exact same bike and the exact same problem. I sent you a PM about your fuel pump :P I think once I get it up and running again it will be my backup bike and I'll just move my suspension to an R6. I'll just paint the r6 kawi green and be done with it :D

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions