Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions

Post subject: Daytona 675
 Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:08 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
Feed back anyone???

Looking into picking up an 06 675 and letting go of the R6. Mike i know you said about a worrysome bike, but my buddy has had his for 3 years no problems. Just regular maintence so not worried about that at all. Plus he is a mechanic and i have known him for 20 years so i know he takes care of his stuff.

I have rode the bike before and love the torque of the bike and power all the way through the power band. Bike is light and flicks on a dime, the bike is pretty much all stock minus a slip on.

I know parts won't be as available as the R6, but i was talking with the owner of capital area triumph and seems like we might be able to work out a sponsorship. So at this point not to worried about labor and stuff.

Any feed back will be appreciated

Post subject: Re: Daytona 675
 Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Outside of what I've already said...
I also love the feel and power delivery of the 675. I test rode one a few times and I like the way the bike "feels" better than an I4 600.
If you have a good repair relationship than that's a great start. They do require more maintanance than typical big 4 600's - the intervals are shorter for things like valves, etc.
Some of the stuff is pretty easy, it takes the same oil filters as my R1 and WRX pl14610's and things like plugs are pretty standard - I got a set at AutoZone :-)
On the other hand if you need a gasket or something like that it will both cost more and takes longer to get. If you put the bike down it will cost you a lot more to get it back on the track than an r6 or what have you. Engine cases, forks, wheels, etc. are much more expensive and much harder to find. As an example I got a full gix front end for my SV for like $275. Just a set of fork tubes for the 675 will likely set you back $600+ There are always dozen sof for sale threads at WERA, etc. for Gix, R6, CBR, and ZX parts - take a look at how few 675 parts for sale there are. It's the same on eBay and Triumph675.net is the "big" 675 forum and there's very little there as well.
The only dealer I've really delt with on the 675 is Kissell's in State College and they are a pathetic excuse for a service department. You know the story anyway so no point in recapping it.
Little crap about the bike bothers me. The service manual is really poor (at least in comparison to the Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawi ones I have). Almost all trouble shooting has to be done with Triumph's diagnostic tool. The upside is that the bike has an OBDII port so you can read codes but the downside is that even with something like TuneBoy it's still sort of hit or miss so far as your ability to trouble shoot.
The cam chain tensioner is a weak point on the bikes but you can buy the manual version for like $50 and it's pretty easy to install if you are handy at all. The fork stop on the frames is a one-time down sort of deal. It will break off like 90% of the time if the bike touches the ground. There is also a complete vacumme system on the bike which is a pain (god only knows why).
Bodywork is not as available - Armour bodies still does not have their's out but Catalyst, Sharkskins and Rockwell have sets. I have Rockwell and it ain't all that and a bad of chips.
Vortex does not make rear sets for teh thing. Versah does not make pdas, etc. Yoyodyne is at times your only place for things like fairing stays and if you're calling Yoyodyne you'e spending money.
I still have not given up on mine and hope to get it to the track some time this season. If I do I will probably sell the gix and ride the 675 but only time will tell.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:07 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
although i think 675 are sweet, i think the fact that you are going to be RACING it, and not many other people have one, is enough of a reason to turn me off i guess. what if you drive all the way to VIR, or Beaver and you put it down in practice and break a lever or something simple. the odds are against you to find a replacement. if you had a gixxer of something (for example) i bet you could find 4 or 5 spare levers floating around. i would be EXTREMLEY pissed to drive that far and not be able to race for something dumb like that. if it was only going to be used for trackdays it wouldnt bother me as much, but racing is no holding back, so i would say the likelyhood of something breaking is greater.

CN: could turn into a potential hassle finding parts at racetrack

just MHO

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

as much as i hate to agree with jr...
though the guy i bought my gix from sold it since he got a 675 primarily so he could run in heavy weight twins with WERA.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:47 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Honda CBR600RR
Bike/Plate #: 13
what ya doin with the R6 Kyle?

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:56 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
why do you want to get rid of the r6

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:59 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
I think the 675 are sweet, but the cost of parts/maintenance compared to the big 4 would turn me off. And if you want the extra grunt, I would go with a gsxr 750 first although I'm not sure how they classify those in your races.

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:31 am 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
750 would be B class i believe

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:30 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
Thanks for the input guys, the valves are every 12k. And since it will be a track only bike the mileage won't be that bad. Granted i won't wait 12k of track miles but still no worry from my end.

I agree parts will be a bitch will be pain to find but i will cross that road when i get to it. Yeah i looked around and saw that woodcraft makes rear sets for the 675 for about the same same price as vortex's just not as much adjustability.

I want the bike because i got to ride it a few times and just now the handling and power and how smooth it is.

Chad going to sell the R6

The 675 is still C class with wera and yes the gix 750 is B

pick the daytona up friday :nod:

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

cool - good luck with it, hopefully can pass some info back and forth.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions