Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions

Post subject: My thoughts on BMW
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:20 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Since I do not have a motorcycle I've been using a lot of other outlets to feed the itch. I couldn't help but take notice of the increasing move to the front of the industry BMW has made in the last few years. Since I was off and had some time, I wrote a blog entry on my thoughts. Feel free to read it at the link below but really just re-caps my amazement at how they've made a lot of moves to progress and expand in the motorcycle industry when others are pulling back during the down economy.

http://klinedinst.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... -industry/

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: My thoughts on BMW
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Nice write up Nate!

I'm actually less and less enamored by the S1000RR as time goes by. If I were to buy a liter class bike currently it would be the ZX10R and not the Beemer.
I'm not sure if they or Duc were the first to bring TC to the masses. The consensus seems to be that the TC system on the Kawi is significantly better than BMW's. Reliability has been an issue with the S1000RR, at least from most reports and though the ZX10 has less official power a reflash of the ECU gets it easily up over the RR's numbers.
The dynamic suspension thing has also been around on a Duc (Multistrada, I believe) for a few years. I would like to see that offered on a sport bike though I don't think it's of much value in a track environment, may even be a detriment making it very difficult and expensive to modify/tune.
I guess being the Bimmerphile that I am I'm not much of a Beemerphile.
I'm glad at least Kawi has stepped up to the plate. Looks like the 1199 is going to take a nice whack at the Beemer as well. Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki seem to be set on wallowing in their mediocrity for the time being. I'm sure that will change as well.
I know your comments are not necessarily focused on the S1000RR but the company as a whole. I'm somewhat disenchanted with them from the car side so that may well be giving a somewhat jaundiced view of their bike offerings as well.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:36 pm 
Major 'Ho

I echo your sentiment with the S1000RR. I think it is an awesome bike, but for the money you can get so much more out of one of the big four. I have just been amazed at the huge jump in market share that BMW has grabbed in the past couple of years.

Thanks for replying to my post...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:21 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
From a quick look at the somewhat sparse numbers BMW accounts for around 1% of the US market but did buck the trend on 2010 with around 4% growth from 09 in a marketplace that was down on average by around 15%.
From a little poking around the increase is pretty much due solely to the S1000RR. I will be surprised to see any growth in market share in 11 and it did seem like their sales followed the overall industry trend in 09 and prior.
The one, and only, company that has been increasing market share on a somewhat consistent basis has of all people been Triumph.
On a brighter note the industry isn’t hemorrhaging sales like it was from say 08 to 09 where it experienced an over 40% decrease in sales year to year – ugh…. Seems like it has more or less stabilized with a few tentative signs of possible improvement in 11 and beyond.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:30 am 
Major 'Ho

Hopefully the stabilization of sales will help the manufacturers feel a little better which will get back to making more frequent updates and bringing more products to the US. Since so many are based outside the US it seems we are always the last ones to get the goods.

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions