Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions

Post subject: So I think I'm going to do Lyle's race school
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I figure I need to take the opportunity to hold people up in a race setting...

Anyone taken their school? (I think a few here have). Any thoughts?

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post subject: Re: So I think I'm going to do Lyle's race school
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:32 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Never took it, but I'll be interested in hearing your feedback...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

I think I'm going to go to the April 25th date. We'll see how it goes.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Actually its on the 19th of April, just sent in my registration. You should join me :)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:31 pm 
Major 'Ho

Too much to do to the bike and not enough funds. I'm hoping I can just get out to some track days this year.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Figured I’d a short postmortem on the Race school….

I hedged on going or not most of the week because the weather did not look very promising. I had a set of D211’s with 1 ½ days at Beaver on them, the rear already flipped. The only other rubber I had was a new set of Dunlop slicks. Not an appealing prospect at Summit if its wet.
Decided to just drive down in the AM. So got up at like 4:45 and was rolling by 5.
Uneventful, if not dreary, drive down. The Murano did a nice job pulling my trailer. While you can tell its hauling something it does not seem to tax it at all.
Got to Summit at like 7:30. Met Clint and pitted with him. Realized pretty quickly that I forgot my warmers, fuck!
The paddock was fairly well attended probably because of the WERA weekend. Lots of people who at least looked fast (and mostly were).
I’d never ridden with Roger’s group. Everything seemed to run smoothly through tech and registration. Got my green noob shirt and went about lamenting my stupidity in forgetting the warmers.
One of Roger’s control Riders, Chris, gave me his spare set so I felt better about my prospects and roamed off to the riders’ meeting.
Again well run affair. He brakes the bunch into 4 groups: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Racer. Race school students go out with the advanced group. We probably made up like 80% of the group as a whole in our snazzy green shirts.
The school starts off with a classroom session. We skipped the first track session while going over the basics. Most of the guys who have ridden for a long time will be pretty familiar with much of the material covered. The first classroom is really about common sense items.
We went out as a group with the second rotation of the advanced group. There are I think 12 of us in all. I’d guess most were in the NESBA mid-pack I group pace with a few who would probably not get a bump out of NESBA’s B. There were a few faster guys as well. My fear of getting blown off the track quickly subsided.
Generally the riding part was just like a track day. We got some feedback from the CR’s back in the classroom but nothing extensive, less than I would expect on hot pit from a B or I group CR.
We kept doing rotations between classroom and track. Had a good time riding with the A guys and other race school folks. We did go into detail regarding flags (different from typical NESBA and other track day), starting, gridding, registration and a little bit on classes. Lots of folksy type advice from the coaches about racing in the classroom.
Their requirements for passing are pretty thin. You have to pass a written test. If you have an IQ above room temperature you’re golden there. On the track its pretty much don’t wreck and don’t be a douche bag.
The weather stayed dry but it was looking worse and worse as the day wore on. After the second afternoon session we rolled on to hot pit and did practice starts. I suck at launching the bike. If I ever want to be serious about this I’ll need to take the bike to a drag strip and spend a day working on getting off the line.
We took the test after that and got our grid positions for the race.
I got the outside spot on row 4, next to last row. The start was somewhat uneventful cause I really didn’t have anyone behind me. They did put 3 or 4 control riders out on the track with us to try to spook us by showing us a wheel and/or making “race” passes.
I spent the first 2 laps trying to sort my way through traffic. By the time I made it to some open track my position was set and I wasn’t catching the guys ahead of me. I think the race was a total of 6 laps. Can’t say I was counting. It was good fun nevertheless. Got 3rd.
We managed to get through the race and the test with everyone in one piece so Roger got us together for a group photo. After that we were allowed to ride in the last session in either advanced or racer group. Like most of the other guys I just packed up instead.
In all it was a good experience. I probably picked up as much bullshitting with Clint as I did in the class. Good to see you again and thanks for the help! Say “Hello” to sleepy for me :)
There weather did not break until I got out on 81. Some of the worst rain I had ever driven through. Being beat did not help. Barely made it home without falling asleep.
In all I would not hesitate to ride with Roger’s MotorcycleXcitement after this experience. Good bunch of folks and a good event.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Attachment:
DSCN7022.JPG
DSCN7022.JPG [ 209.81 KiB | Viewed 19810 times ]

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 pm 
Major 'Ho

Great write up and glad everything went smooth. I'll keep this in mind if I ever decide to race which is probably unlikely.

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:43 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Nice write up Mike! Sounds like a pretty good day! How did the track hold up over winter?

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

The only place where it seems significantly worse was through T1. The patched it, again, but the patch seems really slick and right where you would want to get on the throttle. They patched T5 and T10 too but did not have any issues on either. Just need to run really close to the curbing in T1.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions