Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions

Post subject: Re: twist of the wrist
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
madski wrote:
i think because i am more comfortable with them - going back to beaver, i seem to get good feed back from CR's on 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and to a degree 7. I get crap for 1 and 10/11, at least since switching bikes.
and as one would have it i am far more comfortable and consistent throught those turns and i know where my reference points are, etc. so i'm guessing by some dumb luck i managed to get those more or less ok and was able to work on them further.
on the ones i clusterfuck i don't have any consistency at all, i get frustrated and only make them worse - i just never really thought about it before the last 2 or 3 session at beaver earlier this year.

i can help you with one. thats a freaking easy turn with the brake markers to your right. 10/11 is the carousel correct? there are many different lines through there. i've seen guys go far left, far right, and everywhere in between. i would say go where you can get the best drive out as possible. its not to bad either, just use the markers to the left

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:51 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
stevedave wrote:

2. I thought the same thing about RP (reference points), that I didn't have any. However that last time at beaver I noticed I had a lot more than I thought. They tend to become second nature and you don't even realize you are keying off of them. The problem is when they RPs are wrong and they slow you down. For instance, if your braking RP for a corner is too early, you will overbrake the corner every time. You need to analyze your RPs and adjust accordingly as you get faster.

Just my .02

Agree with Nate Dog, if you ask me my reference points i can't tell you. I don't really notice them, i know where i want to put the bike and where i want to be but if you ask for a specific object or point i got nothing for ya.

Like Jr. is saying you just have to keep pushing that comfort level, with braking down the straights if the back end doesn't start to wiggle on me i know i have more to push.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:25 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Madski,

Have you read Twist of the Wrist 2? I think it's much better than #1 and I really like #1. You may also want to consider doing a Code Class. His method of training is very unique. He really thinks like an engineer and breaks down riding and cornering to it's very base elements. For example, what would you expect to spend your day working on at Superbike school; throttle control? body position? braking? line selection?, etc. In the level 2 class I took we spent almost the entire day working on visual skills. Not exactly what you would expect (don't worry, you cover all the obvious stuff as well). Where do you get all of the information you use to determine your line, braking markers, throttle roll on, etc - your eyes. You will absolutely come away from his class with a better understanding of what you need to do to go faster.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
i'm still finishing up #1. i agree on his approach. i think at first i took way too many things for granted and "just rode" happy to be at a place without soccer moms in suv's and geriatrics making left turns.
now i'm starting to get more interested in actually doing it better, faster, safer so i'm trying to be a bit more scientific about it.
in talking to fast guys like justin it seems like the ability to pick up refernece points and visual cues comes very naturally to him. it used to for me in a car, and actually still does.
for some reason something clicks differently in my head on a bike and i know i need to address that and be more "scientific" about my riding than just holding on for dear life.
i'd love to do his class. i just need to find the time/fund to do it. i'd like to do his whole multi day school but it's a bit dear $$$.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:14 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): R6, ZZR600(street)
Bike/Plate #: 28
Hi Madski,

I agree with the comment that Twist II is much better. It does a better job of explaining Keith's concepts. Keith also contradicts several old wives tales about riding such as charging turns and trail braking. I feel that I have improved my riding greatly after using some of his tips and ideas.

Paul

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Paul welcome on board! I plan on reading his second opus as time allows.

Did you get squared away on the clip-ons?

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:56 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): R6, ZZR600(street)
Bike/Plate #: 28
Yes, I got a set of woodcrafts from Sportbiketrackgear. I haven't installed them yet so I don't know how difficult it will be. I intend to install them below the triple clamp which will lower the bars about 1 1/2 inches. I hope the lower position will be an improvement over the stock ones.

Paul

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

woodcrafts are nice since you do not have drop the forks - should be pretty straight forward to do.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:32 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 2004 GSXR600
Bike/Plate #: 11
im right there with you mike, im asking myself the same questions. we can fumble around when i get back. figure it out.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

that we certainly shall do - just keep your head down for 2 more months and you're back doing track days!

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions