Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions

Post subject: Gixxer 750?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:33 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
So I asked Mike his opinion on this and he thought I should put it out here because he thought it might make a good discussion topic.

I found an 07 Gixxer 750 with 17,000 miles :shock: in good shape and the guy is asking $5000. I wondered if this was a good deal. Its lower than he was initially asking and I don't think he'll come down any more. But that seems like a lot of miles (it is -1, +2 though).

I'm currently on an 05 R6 and love it on the track. It handles wonderfully even on the stock suspension; its quite a bit of fun. Where it is lacking is in under 9k rpm it feels very underpowered, after that point it sings but coming out of certain corners I feel like I should pull a Flintstones...ok not that bad but you get the idea. I realize most 600 are lacking down low but my old Gix 600 felt like it had more midrange.

So I thought a 750 might make a good street bike and make the R6 track only; then I thought well that extra hp and torque while only being 5-10lbs heavier might be loads of fun on the track. I haven't had anything other than 600cc sportbikes.

So first ? is that a good deal; and second would a 750 be as much fun on the track as a 600. And yes I realize this is subjective.

Post subject: Re: Gixxer 750?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
IMO i think its a good deal. i paid more then that for a 06 gsxr600.
and yes it would be just as much fun at the track i think. it always gets raves about being the best all around bike

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
like i think i said in my PM i don't think it will make you any faster around the track and may actually be more difficult to control on exit to keep it from spinning up.
i also think that this time of year you can probably find one for similar money with a lot less miles.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:43 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
I sold my '05 750 back in March. My bike was immaculate, and assuming this is is similar shape I think the price is pretty fair.

In regards to making it a track bike, I would stick with the 600. The 750 was an awesome bike and would no doubt be an awesome track bike, but it is not going to make you that much faster. The only thing you gain from the 750 is a little more power sooner (at lower RPMs). Plus, a smaller engine is usually a little more forgiving (do not need quite as much throttle control) and doesn't destroy tires as fast.

Just my .02. Either way you go you'll be happy and look forward to seeing you at the track.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:20 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
Agree with mike it won't make you any faster, if you can't ride a 600 fast a 750 won't make you a better rider. As pascal says your making it up in horse power not with skill.

Drop a tooth in the front sprocket and go up two in the rear, and take it down to karns and let him map it for you. I think it will be a completely different bike.

Also you need to get on the gas quicker in the corners, on a 600 i have no problem running down liter bikes down the front stretch.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:26 pm 
Serious 'Ho

silvr6 wrote:
Agree with mike it won't make you any faster, if you can't ride a 600 fast a 750 won't make you a better rider. As pascal says your making it up in horse power not with skill.

Drop a tooth in the front sprocket and go up two in the rear, and take it down to karns and let him map it for you. I think it will be a completely different bike.

Also you need to get on the gas quicker in the corners, on a 600 i have no problem running down liter bikes down the front stretch.

I have no delusions of a bigger bike getting me noticed by MotoGP scouts at trackdays. I also wouldn't plan on ditching the skills I've acquired simply because I have more hp; or suddenly changing the mindset I have about trying to learn something each time out. And while I enjoy running down liter bikes on my 600 I was just curious if the 750 would be as much fun.

The gear change is going to be my first winter project. Who's Karns?

stevedave wrote:
I sold my '05 750 back in March. My bike was immaculate, and assuming this is is similar shape I think the price is pretty fair.

In regards to making it a track bike, I would stick with the 600. The 750 was an awesome bike and would no doubt be an awesome track bike, but it is not going to make you that much faster. The only thing you gain from the 750 is a little more power sooner (at lower RPMs). Plus, a smaller engine is usually a little more forgiving (do not need quite as much throttle control) and doesn't destroy tires as fast.

Just my .02. Either way you go you'll be happy and look forward to seeing you at the track.

That's good info about your 05. I didn't think about eating up tires. But you said you do not need as much throttle control on the 750? I was thinking like Mike in that I'd be a bit more concerned with breaking the rear loose. Or did you just mean its easier to carry speed because you don't have to focus on keeping the needle in the "happy" zone? Why did you decide to sell it?

GixxrSixxr wrote:
IMO i think its a good deal. i paid more then that for a 06 gsxr600.
and yes it would be just as much fun at the track i think. it always gets raves about being the best all around bike

I'm reading the same raves, that's what got me started on all this :biglaugh:. I should stay out of SportRider :sad:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I think Nate wanted to say that you would need MORE throttle control with the 750 since it's making more power.

Karns is Karns Performance in Camp Hill, PA (by Harrisburg) which would be a pretty good haul for you from where you're at. Jason and Dan do awesome work though. Can't recommend them enough.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:45 pm 
Serious 'Ho

madski wrote:
I think Nate wanted to say that you would need MORE throttle control with the 750 since it's making more power.

Karns is Karns Performance in Camp Hill, PA (by Harrisburg) which would be a pretty good haul for you from where you're at. Jason and Dan do awesome work though. Can't recommend them enough.

Oops, he did say that, I didn't read close enough :dunce: .

stevedave wrote:
Plus, a smaller engine is usually a little more forgiving (do not need quite as much throttle control) and doesn't destroy tires as fast...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:32 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
I can see how my statement was confusing.

I was saying that with your 600 it would not require as much throttle control as the big bike.

I loved my '05, but I decided to sell for several reasons:

1. Was addicted to the track, the street wasn't as much fun anymore
2. Did not have a garage to keep the bike in and was tired of renting a storage shed.
3. Was addicted to the track, the street wasn't as much fun anymore
4. Did not really ride on the street that much. Due to points 1,3, and 5 but also the fact that I really did not like riding with most people on the street because they were dangerous and out of control.
5. Was addicted to the track, the street wasn't as much fun anymore
6. Trying to get out of debt to buy a house. Of course points 1,3, and 5 do not help this effort.

The bike was an awesome bike, and I would surely look at getting another one in the future.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:29 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
If i was going to buy another track bike it would be an sv 650 or a 250 two stroke, after seeing that 11 year old kid rip it up at beaver with fast trax, if you can be that fast on that small of a bike then when you move up your going to kill it even no matter what bike your on.

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions