Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions

Post subject: What to do...
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:39 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
So after my crash at Tbolt this past weekend, I've been contemplating what to do. I can either fix the bike, sell it as is, or part it. If I sell/part it, I probably won't be getting another bike until after the wife and I get a house, so that means I probably won't ride next year. If I fix it, it needs the following:

-Air duct
-Gas tank
-Clip on
-Brake resevoir
-Clutch lever
-Left rearset
-Subframe is twisted
-Frame slider
-Bodywork

At this point, my guess is I could get more money out of it if I part it, but I don't really have any place to keep the bike/parts over the winter. So I'm leaning to trying to sell as is, walk away with what I get and then get another bike in a year or so.

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: What to do...
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
there are really only 2 somewhat expensive items on your list: tank and plastics.
i think i told you this at the track but think of how bloody miserable you will be reading all the track day threads here and all over the web if you choose to sit a year out?

parting the bike will obviously bring the most cash but you have to have the time and space to do it. the more granular the part out the more money and more time. at some point you have to ask yourself how much your time is worth?

my guess would be that you could get it back together (ugly) for $700 or so if take your time. what's sitting on your ass for a year worth to you? take it from me, the time you give up now you will never get back.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:46 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 07 R6S
Bike/Plate #: 357
Nate,
I am going to have to agree with Mike (great speech by the way). Just try and get the bike bake together, it does not have to look pretty. Now is the best time anyway, people will be selling their parts and you have plenty of time until your next track day. You will regret hanging it up for a year. I regret not starting when i was much younger.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:31 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Easiest decision ever! I agree with Mike and Lantry! Start surfing Ebay and WERA and buying 1 thing at a time as find good deals. You'll spread the expense out over time and it will be easier to take the hit.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:10 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '08 R1 (double duty)
Bike/Plate #: 818
Option #1: Gradually repair the bike as time & money permits over the winter & be back at it in the spring

vs.

Option #2: Give the wife a year without any bike & trackday expenses and invest in making a new home for her instead.

If you want to get back into it full bore again, I don't think I'd take my chances with #2. :mrgreen: The parting out/selling money will go towards stuff for the new house & your year off will turn into 2, 3, ....... :eek:

Just something to consider from someone who's been in a similar situation. :fact

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:31 pm 
Major 'Ho

Thanks for the replies. I do have to say I have one awesome wife as she doesn't really care what I decide to do. She also told me that if I do decide to sell, she expects me to put whatever money I make into a separate account for a future bike and not into the house fund. She also said she will be pissed if I do not get back out there eventually and that she won't let me stop doing track days permanently. So I don't think I have to worry about her...

It's not just the $700 that it is going to cost to fix the bike. I pretty much need all new gear and its the cost of the trackdays that I will do next year that will cut into us trying to get a house.

I appreciate all the feedback, and still haven't made up my mind. I figure I have a few weeks to do so, but I definitely know where all you guys stand :fact

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:03 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
if the tanks not leaking i wouldnt even bother replacing it. just more money saved

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:59 pm 
Major 'Ho

GixxrSixxr wrote:
if the tanks not leaking i wouldnt even bother replacing it. just more money saved

Thank is busted to the point that it actually impacts how my legs make contact with it. Definitely will need replaced...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:34 am 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
i doubt it will fit but i still have my 05 636 tank

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:57 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
I say...you and I rip into it one weekend and figure out the real list of what is needed. Then just buy the parts over the winter as you need them. Buy some body work off ebay and rattle can the paint job.

Wera will be your biggest friend for parts...as you know.

Nesba #22

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions