Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions

Post subject: Rosso Corsa or Superbike Pro
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:21 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 06 675 (Track) - 910R-VRSC-FLSTF-FLTR (Street)
Bike/Plate #: 0
OK - i need some expert advice - so before I go to find an expert I figure I would start here with the TWs :wink: actually I trust information I get from here more than other sources.

I'm doing Thunderbolt this Sunday (11/14) with TPM - fortunately the weather looks to be decent - probably around 40 in the AM with a high of 60 degrees and mostly sunny.

I'm currently running the Superbike Pro track day slicks with warmers. I put these on in the summer and I do like them.

I also have a brand new set of Rosso Corsa's on a second set of rims. I got these for when conditions are not the best for the slicks.

Given these projected conditions is this a situation where I should swith to the DRC's? I figure even though the temps might be reasonable the track will be pretty cold - I'm not sure how the slicks will react.

Last edited by RideorGolf on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rosso Corsa or Superbike Pro
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:47 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Disclaimer:

1. I am not an expert
2. I've never used either of the tires you are asking about

Assuming we are simply talking about temperature and not precipitation, I would say go with the slicks with warmers. No matter what tire you ride you will need to get heat in them and the warmers will somewhat help. Don't be fooled and expect to be able to pull the warmers off and go wide open throttle...no matter what you do you will need to take it extremely careful for a few laps and slowly pick up your pace. The only true way to get adequate heat in the tire and keep it there is laps.

Only other piece of advice I can think is to closely watch your tires and air pressures to make sure you are not cold tearing them early on, and this would go for either tire.

Good luck and ride safe...

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:18 am 
'Ho Proper

stevedave wrote:
Disclaimer:

1. I am not an expert
2. I've never used either of the tires you are asking about

Assuming we are simply talking about temperature and not precipitation, I would say go with the slicks with warmers. No matter what tire you ride you will need to get heat in them and the warmers will somewhat help. Don't be fooled and expect to be able to pull the warmers off and go wide open throttle...no matter what you do you will need to take it extremely careful for a few laps and slowly pick up your pace. The only true way to get adequate heat in the tire and keep it there is laps.

Only other piece of advice I can think is to closely watch your tires and air pressures to make sure you are not cold tearing them early on, and this would go for either tire.

Good luck and ride safe...

Yes I'm talking temperature - if it is wet I either sit my a$$ down or switch to the DRC.

Thanks - This is sound advice. I always go easy the first lap or so as I think tires will lose heat while waiting on the grid - you are right this time of year it will be worse - so more caution is needed.

The Pirelli SuperBike Pro is what they are calling a "track day slick" that is supposed to have a wider temp.range more like a street tire. Pirelli says that warmers are not required -but I use them anyway.

The DRC is a new street tire from Pirelli so I guess they will have a wider optimal temp range and I was thinking they might be better for these colder temperature conditions. I would use the warmers on a low setting with these as well.

The reason I was asking is I have heard that slicks are more prone to cold tire situations. The SBP are my first exposure to a slick of any kind.

Were you at T-bolt back in October with Madeski?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
What Nate said :thumbup:
The new Pirelli slick is pretty different in compound from "typical" slicks or at least it's being billed that way. I'd probably run them as well. But like Nate I'm no expert nor have I used either of the two tires (I have run Corsa III's and SuperCorsa SC's quite a bit).

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:29 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
RideorGolf wrote:
...Were you at T-bolt back in October with Madeski?

I was. Unfortunately it was short lived as I wrecked on Saturday the session before lunch.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:21 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
RideorGolf wrote:
The reason I was asking is I have heard that slicks are more prone to cold tire situations. The SBP are my first exposure to a slick of any kind.

slicks just need to be ridden harder to keep heat in them, with the temps being that low it might be hard to do if you arent doing relatively fast laps. since these are being projected as a track day tire with a wider temp range, my THINKING, would be that you wouldnt need to ride them as hard to keep the temp in them. but never having ridden them i cant tell you for sure.

i say just get a set of power ones and be done with it :biglaugh: jk

but seriously, watch the chicane in the morning. slickest part of the track when cold

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 pm 
'Ho Proper

stevedave wrote:
RideorGolf wrote:
...Were you at T-bolt back in October with Madski?

I was. Unfortunately it was short lived as I wrecked on Saturday the session before lunch.

That sucks - I think I recall seeing pics of your moto - Hope ur ok and bike is doing better

madski wrote:
What Nate said :thumbup:
...(I have run Corsa III's and SuperCorsa SC's quite a bit).

I think the DRC is a replacement for the Corsa III's - did you like Corsa III's?

GixxrSixxr wrote:

but seriously, watch the chicane in the morning. slickest part of the track when cold

I know that chicane rather well - had an off there earlier in the season - using pp2ct's at the time. Although certainly can't blame tires - totally my fault in not riding properly for the conditions - learned my lesson there and now want to be certain to show proper amount of respect for given conditions.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I liked the Corsa III's. Ran them a couple of times on the track and they have been my street tire of choice for the last 2 years.
Got a little greasy on me a couple of times (at the track) but it was during really hot weather. Supposedly the DRC is better yet.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm 
'Ho Proper

Used the SBPs with warmers on Sunday at NJMP t-bolt - worked out well.

Weather was sunny and 60+ degrees - great day to end the season. :boobies:

See tw's are experts :thumbup:

Can't wait for Jennings :cool:

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » General TrackWhore Discussions