Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Nelson Ledges
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:54 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Anyone heading to Nelson for the Friday track day? I might try to make it out...

Post subject: Re: Nelson Ledges
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Nope but hoping the have the bike completely back together on Friday :)

Have fun!! :thumbup:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
A little nippy for Mikey :(

Matt - you and Pat gonna try to do the NESBA weekend at da'BEave in a couple of weeks?

Nate - that mean your sorry ass is actually gonna make it out to play this year or you just gonna look at the thing once you get it back together :biglaugh:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
madski wrote:

Matt - you and Pat gonna try to do the NESBA weekend at da'BEave in a couple of weeks?

Nate - that mean your sorry ass is actually gonna make it out to play this year or you just gonna look at the thing once you get it back together :biglaugh:

I was waiting for someone to say something. My original plan was to put it back together and sell it, then get another in a year. The wife and I are buying a house, so if I get one at the lower end of our price range then I'll keep it and ride. If we get a more expensive one then I won't have money to do trackdays anyways right now, so I'll sell it.

Even if I keep it I won't be able to do anything until after June. I have grad school until the end of June (3 nights a week) along with booked weekends (bachelor party for a buddy, sister's graduation, sister's wedding, buddy's wedding, etc). I could possibly ride July/August but then in September it is back to school and the baby will be close to getting here. After the baby is here I might be able to slip away in October, but we'll have to see. Either way none of this takes into account actually buying and moving into a house.

Sorry to thread jack, back to your normally schedule programming...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:34 pm 
'Ho Proper

Bike/Plate #: 992
madski wrote:

Mike looking at the days right now,hopefully this weather straightens out but so far I haven't signed up

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:34 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 02 GSXR 600
Bike/Plate #: 909
I'll probably be there. Meeting up with Ohio Riders forum guys. Hoping the weather will break.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:17 pm 
Major 'Ho

I only rode Nelson once in 2009 (my first time ever) and didn't ride there at all in 2010. I really wanted to get back there in 2011, and wanted to try a Friday night event. The forecast was looking OK mid-week, so I mounted my track tire wheel set on the bike after work on Wed. I had a bunch of crap going on at work on Thursday and the forecast was taking a turn for the worse. The forecasted temps were down a bit and it looked like it was going to really windy. I started to get some of my stuff together after work on Thursday and I just didn't have it in me. I went to bed thinking I was going to bag the day, but I set my alarm for 5 am just in case. I checked the forecast in the morning and it was looking a bit better, calling for slightly higher temps (upper 50's / lower 60's) and slightly less wind (17 mph, down from 20 mph +). I was also feeling a bit more motivated after a good night of sleep so I got my stuff together, trailer hooked up, bike loaded, etc.

I left work at around 2 PM and set my GPS to avoid toll roads ( the last time I rolled into OH with a trailer it cost me almost $20 in tolls round trip). I waited until I got into OH to get gas thinking it might be a little less expensive - I was wrong and paid 3.78 instead of 3.74 and 4.14 for premium for the bike. When I got to the track the wind wasn't bad and it was 70 degrees - about 10 degrees warmer than forecasted. It sure is nice when the weather works out significantly better than forecasted! I quickly ran into Clem and Ben and had a nice time chatting with both of them. The Friday night events are usually open track, but there was a large enough turn out, and enough new faces, that they decided to run an A and B group. Since I was unfamiliar with the process, it took me a while to get through tech and I missed a bit of the 1st A session. It was a good session for me to re-learn the track and remember what gear I needed to be in where.

I started to ride a lot better in the second session and had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, there was a red-flag and transport in the next B-session and we had to wait for the flashy-bus to return to the track. It was about 7 PM by the time we got out for the 3rd A session and it was my favorite of the day. I got in behind some fast riders and felt like I was getting more comfortable with the bumps and ugly looking track surface. I pretty much stopped worrying about it and just rode. I never had any grip issues and I was easily getting my knee down and even my toe-slider in spots. When I pulled in my lap timer showed a best lap of 1:18.86 as opposed to my previous best lap of 1:19.33. Pretty psyched about that, and I believe with some more track time I will be able to drop more time.

I came in after our session, gassed up the bike, and rolled back out on the track, and lapped until at least 8 PM. It was a free-for-all session with A and B riders. It was more difficult to get a clean lap, but I had fun working through traffic. I would have liked a little more track time, but I ended the day with 90 + miles and a smile on my face - not bad for $65. I'm definitely planning on doing more Nelson days this year!

Last edited by bacolmm on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Nice - do you still duck when you go under the bridge :)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:09 pm 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
Nice - do you still duck when you go under the bridge :)

I think I might hit it if I don't...

I didn't get around quite as quickly as Sam does...

http://vimeo.com/11564395

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:39 am 
Major 'Ho

sideshowbob wrote:
madski wrote:

Mike looking at the days right now,hopefully this weather straightens out but so far I haven't signed up

As per usual, I'm watching the forecast and will sign up the week of the event if I like what I see...

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!