Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summit Main 4th of July?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 09 R6
Bike/Plate #: 561
You did well out there, John. Body position was looking pretty good.

Nesba MidAtl Asst Director#561

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Good write up as always Matt!

I guess it’s sort of apropos after all that Summit Main would work out the way it did for me. I’ve hated it with a passion ever since my 2nd or 3rd track day on my SV some 3 years ago there. Track was torn up, bumpy, and slick. The date was booked to the hilt and full of liter bike “pin it and park it” types. Really hated Summit that day. Came back a year later only to stand around in the rain while NESBA attempted to get its corporate head out of its collective ass and cancel the day – which unfortunately took a bunch of wrecks culminating with a severe fluid spill in T2 that just could not be cleaned up with the skies pissing on the track. Fast forward to the 3rd.
Jules and I headed down on Sunday. Got to the track around 7, set up and headed to Winchester and the Super 8. Hotel was OK but they only had double beds which sort of sucked. Total cost was $60 so hard to beat.
We were supposed to meet up with a few people I know from 675.net and possibly Matt and Pat Sunday night for a bite to eat. Unfortunately one of the riders from 675.net had an off at Shenandoah earlier in the day and Matt and Pat were pretty late getting in. Jules and I were going to just order something to be delivered to the hotel but ended up going out grab a bite.
Got to the track around 7:30AM Monday. Uneventfully rolled through tech and registration. It was already hot and humid by 8. The riders’ meeting ran pretty long and it was hot as hell in the classroom. Chris did a pretty good job either way. Matt and Pat pitted next to us.
By 9:20 I was rolling out to meet my nemesis. Lined up all the way at the back of the right lane and rode out to try to remember the little I still had in the recesses of my vacuous mind of Summit.
I was almost instantly surprised at the condition of the track – it did not look like the chip-n-tarred back road of 3 years ago at all. The damn thing looked like a proper race track after all. I did the first 2 parade laps and then started passing the riders in front of me. Things were starting to click. It was in effect my first day there and though there was no beacon the first session out it did not feel too bad.
By the second session I was starting to feel somewhat more comfortable and the lap timer showed a 28 as the result.
My rear tire had 3 days on it already so it was a bit sketchy but usable so I kept it going for the session before lunch. Stopped out to harass Wolley and he offered to try and stuff me in the first session after lunch (he was CR’n in A – novel as that may be). Stopped and chatted with Kaley – first time I’ve seen him since Jennings in ’10. Always a pleasure.
Had lunch with Matt and Pat and traded war stories. Both seemed to be riding well. Everyone bitched about the heat, etc.
Went out with Wolley in the 4th session. Just could not get my shit together. We ran 26’s pretty consistently but it just was not clicking for me. I felt like my brakes were going to shit and my rear tire was starting to really move around. Dave did his best to try to coax me into picking up the pace but it just was not working. Was sort of disappointed in how I rode. Talked to Dave about the rear tire and agreed that it was time for its funeral pyre.
Bill had ridden down to hang out and was driving Jules around the track to different places to watch my slow ass drag around the circuit. Amazed that she got on the back of a sportbike…. He was also kind enough to give a helping hand in swapping out for a new wheel and tire. The 675 is a bitch to do by yourself.
Went out a bit late for the 5th session and somewhat gingerly since I did not get a chance to fully warm up the tire in the pit and since it was brand new either way. Ran slow as shit. Did not get out of the 27’s. Was starting to really get tired and beat up from the heat and humidity.
Bill bid farewell after the that session and the rest of us in the pit continued whining about the heat. Matt was running some really nice lap times and I believe Pat had bested his previous personal best at Main as well. They had also just tossed on new rears. In that heat and humidity, even just still partially in your leathers changing wheels is for the fucking birds.
So next to last session comes around. I was probably about 30 seconds later than the last I rider leaving pit out. Sort of just rolled out without much expectation of anything good to a clear track as far as I could see ahead of me. Did a lap to warm myself up and Jiggy blew past me I think in T2 towing another rider. Just did not sit well with me for some reason. Caught up and passed the rider he was working with and he picked me up and started towing me around. Stuff was really starting to work. Between watching Jiggy’s line and heading the advice I got from Dave after out session earlier the pace picked up. Jiggy alternated between towing me and following me for pretty much the rest of the session. I ran my personal best of the day @ 24.53 following him. We were running comfortable 25’s and 26’s with a few dips into the 24’s. Pulled over and waited to John to come off track and get his feedback. He told me to run wider in 10 and roll off less if at all between 3 and 4. Had some other great pointers and then asked me where I was pitted – COOL!! Sort of knew what that was gonna be all about.
Went back to the pit. Matt and Pat were convinced we’d see John shortly which was indeed the case. Jiggy brought the sticker and made it official. Chatted a bit and made a bunch of jokes at Justin’s (Jr.) expense. I had to promise not to wad it up like Jr. did in his first A session. I got ready to go out for the last session of the day and my first time in A.
Followed Matt and Pat out and felt good out there. Matt walked away pretty quickly but I could keep Pat in sight though I could not catch back up to him after we got separated by another rider. I thought I had passed two people but from watching the vid it was the same guy twice :)
Felt good to be out there and ride with faster riders. Managed a few 24’s which was nice considering how beat and hot I was by then.
All in all it was a great time and much to my surprise a track in great condition and an even greater surprise of a bump.
We packed up and said our goodbyes to everyone and rolled home. Got nailed in a huge thunder storm just over the PA border.
I have to say that Dave and John on Monday really made the “promotion” possible, along with the many track days worth of feedback from other great NESBA CR’s. I really like the idea Chris had with sending out CR’s into A. While I’m glad to be in advanced I’d hate to lose the feedback and advice of the guys that got me there. I might have an A on the fender but I still have a shit load to learn about properly riding a motorcycle at speed. I hope to continue learning from all of the great riders NESBA brings together so well.
It was great handing out with Matt and Pat. Glad Jules decided to come down and play pit bitch and big thanks to Bill for showing up and helping wrench as well as take pics.
So now with a tear in my eye, I humbly bow out of my rant above until the next time we roll out onto the track (yes Dave, I’ll let you know in advance when and where :) )

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Great write up Mike! It was a fun day and it was great hanging out with you and "Jules". You are 100% right, the track is in great shape! Also, I know we all bitched a bit about the heat and humidity, but we really lucked out with the weather!!!! We ran through a nice rain storm and lots of wet roads after being on the road for only 20 minutes or so.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:55 pm 
Major 'Ho

Tank Cam Vid

http://vimeo.com/26036441

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:35 pm 
Major 'Ho

Fat Ass Camera Angle - 3 X 1:23's

http://vimeo.com/26039564

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

The "Bump" session:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:38 am 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 09 R6
Bike/Plate #: 561
Do you have vid of our session?

Nesba MidAtl Asst Director#561

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Wolley wrote:
Do you have vid of our session?

Unfortunately not... I only mounted the camera for the last 3 sessions and forgot to turn it on the first time anyway.

This is the last session of the day (first A session):

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:10 am 
Major 'Ho

Bill wrote:
Nice to meet balcomm and Sideshowbob too! Next time I'm down there playing madski's really bad photographer I'll try and get shots of you guys too. Which CR has the yellow and white bike?

Nice to meet you as well Bill!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:34 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
Nice write ups guys!! Matt down into the 1:22's!! And congrats Mike on the well deserved bump!! I'm sorry I missed what sounds like a great day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!