Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Mid-Ohio 8/29
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:41 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Had a fun day at Mid-Ohio (possibly my last this year) with John, Carl and Frank. I drove out and back in the same day, which makes for a long day, but wasn't too bad. The track was a little slick for the first session, significantly better for the second, and 100% by the third session. The weather was perfect! Lots of sun, low humidity, and highs in the mid / upper 70's. If I had to bitch about anything, it would be that there were a handful of riders in the A group that would have been borderline in the I group. Even with the small class size (23 riders) these rolling chicanes made clean laps few and far between. Since anyone that wants can sign up for A at the Mid-O days, there's usually a broad range of abilities / skills, but this was a bit extreme even by Mid-O standards. There was one girl in the class that I doubt ran a sub 2 minute lap all day. I actually lapped her in more than one session. It was annoying, and after the second or third session, I just refused to be stuck behind her at all. Where ever I caught her, I passed her at speed - on the gas, on the brakes, corner entry, mid corner, corner exit, at turn in, etc. I have to imagine that she was startled by a few of them, but she never moved down to the I class so they couldn't have been that bad. I also passed a rider on the brakes (at the end of the long back straight), while he was passing another rider on the brakes. I tried, but was not able to get back down into the 1:39's. I believe my best lap was a 1:40.5 or 1:40.4. I was pleased that my back tire hung in there all day. I used it at the last Mid-O day and flipped it. I thought it might start sliding around before the day was over, but it took everything I threw at it with ease. It may still be good for another 1/2 a track day...

Post subject: Re: Mid-Ohio 8/29
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
You big meanie......
I hate riding where people can sign for whatever.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:45 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
Sounds kind of like a frustrating day. But I just can't understand people that slow signing up for A. Especially when they are getting their doors blown off.

You say this might be your last one of the year at Mid-O? If my Outer Banks vacation is scrapped for the second year in a row I might be out there Sept. 12th.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:09 pm 
Major 'Ho

foster wrote:
Sounds kind of like a frustrating day. But I just can't understand people that slow signing up for A. Especially when they are getting their doors blown off.

You say this might be your last one of the year at Mid-O? If my Outer Banks vacation is scrapped for the second year in a row I might be out there Sept. 12th.

Ben,

Overall it was a really fun day, with a few minor annoyances. Running in Nesba-A definitely spoils you in regard to not having to deal with the rolling chicanes!

I'd love to get back to Mid-O before the season is over. My difficulty is that my kids are now back to school and I have to get them on the bus every morning. Unless I can find someone to pinch hit for me, I'm out for weekday track days until next summer. I was hoping to scratch the track day itch at Summit this weekend, but forecast is looking a little marginal. Let me know if you're planning on going and I might have to call in some favors...

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Well the hurricane has turned north and we'll be going on our vacation so the 12th is out for me as well.

Hopefully somebody will put on a day at Beav in October because I didn't get to ride with all of you enough this year.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:50 pm 
Major 'Ho

foster wrote:
Well the hurricane has turned north and we'll be going on our vacation so the 12th is out for me as well.

Hopefully somebody will put on a day at Beav in October because I didn't get to ride with all of you enough this year.

+1! Are you getting bored of track days yet because they aren't the same as racing?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:38 pm 
Serious 'Ho

bacolmm wrote:

+1! Are you getting bored of track days yet because they aren't the same as racing?

Actually no. I am enjoying both right now for different reasons. I am enjoying racing because I haven't had that nervous excitement in a long time and racing is giving me that right now. I'm sure that will fade eventually. But it sucks when the grids are pathetic or when you get a meatball flag or your brake lever comes loose and you have to pit in. Its like a one shot deal really, especially the sprint racing, they are sooo short. I do enjoy the feeling that making a pass "means something" but that can also lead one to take unnecessary risks.

Track days I still enjoy because its more laid back for me and if something goes wrong in a session there are still plenty of opportunities to make things better. I'm on track as much as my body can handle and the down time is minimal. And I don't feel like I have to go balls to the wall the whole time. For me its easier to improve my riding and drop my lap times at a trackday and I still come away satisfied if I beat my previous personal best.

One thing that is the same though is who's out there with you. BS-ing in the pits is probably my favorite part of both.

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!