Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: CMP
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:01 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Pat and I are looking at doing CMP on 11/12-13. I have to get my bike back together, Mike said he would be sending my suspension back out to me on Monday, and of course the weather will need to cooperate...

Post subject: Re: CMP
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:35 pm 
Major 'Ho

I've been planning on posting a ride report, but I've been really busy, and bummed out. I tossed my brandy new 750 in turn #3 early in the second session on Sat. So pissed! That bike was way too new to kiss the pavement. I spent so much time and money getting it set up, and then toss it the very next time I ride it - Ugggg! I could write a lot, and may later, but I've got my annual review due today. As much as I'd like to procrastinate, I need to get it done.

The short story is that it was cold in the morning. We went out for the first session at 9:30 and the first dude to go out high-sided in pit lane and never made it to the track. Then he went back to the pits, got his other bike, and threw it away in turn #3. Then a control rider rolled onto the track and made it as far as turn #1 before he low-sided. I took it really easy and gradually upped the pace. The bike felt good, I was getting my knee down with ease, and I never had a slide of any kind.

We went out for the second session at 11 AM and things had warmed up quite a bit. There was not a cloud in the sky and the sun had been beating on the track all morning. I figured we'd be able to start to pick up the pace. I still took it easy and started to gradually up my pace. In turn #3 on the second lap, I lost the front without warning, while on the gas, and running at about 75% pace. It's a mildly bumpy, 3rd gear left after a short straight. I tipped it in, got back on the gas, (I always try to get back to the throttle early for #3 because of the bumps), had my knee down, and just as I was getting ready to start picking the bike up to drive out of the corner, I was on the pavement. It happened so fast. My thoughts went directly from looking down the track to "why am I sliding on my back". It felt like the tire went from full on grip to off the pavement in an instant, with out any warning.

I've got a little bruise on the right side of my lower back, but other than that, not a scratch. My gear did its job, as it sure felt like I was moving when I hit the pavement. This is what I would call my first real crash. The only other time I put a bike on the pavement was in turn #1 at CMP in a very slow low-side (lost the rear). I didn't miss a session from that one.

I'm pissed I messed up the whole weekend, and even more pissed that I banged up my bike! It really bugs me that I believe I crashed while doing everything right. I guess sometimes you can do all the right things and you still end up on your ear. That really sucks! Maybe the front tire wasn't fully up to temp? That's really the only thing I can think of.

The damage to the bike appears to be mostly plastic. The forks appear to be straight, although one of the steering stops on the lower triple clamp is bent. The wheels are both fine, the bar-ends aren't even scratched. The whole front end is gone though. Looking at OEM parts the fairing stay is $200, headlight $300, nose piece $250. Yikes! I'm thinking I might buy track plastics and try to rig up some lights so I can still ride on the street. I can get the upper and lower for about $550, and then it would be cheaper / easier to repair if I go down again.

OK, so it wasn't short, but I need to get back to work....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
That sux Matt but the important part is that you’re OK!
How cold was it? And you said it was in fairly early in the AM so the track may have still been cold and “green” so to speak. Were your tires fresh? Maybe a new bike and all the other factors combined just added up to the boo-boo.
I guess you’re right though that sometimes you can do everything right and still end up on your ass. Just really blows that you just got that nice bike and all the goodies for it :(

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:39 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Glad you are OK. My first wreck was the same way, didn't do anything noticeably wrong and ended up on my back.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:26 pm 
Major 'Ho

Aftermath...

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:31 pm 
Major 'Ho

First part received for the re-build - Fairing Stay.

Second part received for the re-build - Lower Clamp and Stem. Already installed.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Really does not look too bad at all. I know its gotta really suck since you just got the thing but I expected a lot worse.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
madski wrote:
Really does not look too bad at all. I know its gotta really suck since you just got the thing but I expected a lot worse.

:wstupid:
And it sounds like there was an issue with the track surface with all those crashes. I'm curious though, did T-Man tell you to run those extenders flush like that? Did you raise the rear at all? I've got the AK-20's with the extenders and Traxxion told me to have some showing, I can measure later to see how many mm they told me. Obviously this is a different chassis than the previous model but I'm wondering if having the front so high gives you less front end feel?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:30 pm 
Major 'Ho

foster wrote:
madski wrote:

:wstupid:
And it sounds like there was an issue with the track surface with all those crashes. I'm curious though, did T-Man tell you to run those extenders flush like that? Did you raise the rear at all? I've got the AK-20's with the extenders and Traxxion told me to have some showing, I can measure later to see how many mm they told me. Obviously this is a different chassis than the previous model but I'm wondering if having the front so high gives you less front end feel?

Ben,

The extenders for the BPF's are 14mm and the extenders on your forks are 20mm. T-Man gave me the measurements - from the top of the lower triple to the center of the axle (530mm) and total shock length (323mm). I had to add 8mm of shims on the shock (which he provided).

Since I never really got to ride the bike in anger, I have way more questions than answers. The suspension felt pretty good, and I believe this was a cold tire issue, but only time will tell. I'd really like to get back out there ASAP to redeem myself, and answer all the questions, but all I can do is wait (and spend lots of money getting my bike fixed up). :sad:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:24 am 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
bacolmm wrote:

Ben,

The extenders for the BPF's are 14mm and the extenders on your forks are 20mm. T-Man gave me the measurements - from the top of the lower triple to the center of the axle (530mm) and total shock length (323mm). I had to add 8mm of shims on the shock (which he provided).

Since I never really got to ride the bike in anger, I have way more questions than answers. The suspension felt pretty good, and I believe this was a cold tire issue, but only time will tell. I'd really like to get back out there ASAP to redeem myself, and answer all the questions, but all I can do is wait (and spend lots of money getting my bike fixed up). :sad:

Got it, the good thing is T-man has such a great reputation that you can go out there next time with confidence knowing that you have the right set up and just chalk this one up to a fluke.

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!