Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: BeaveRun NESBA 5/26
 Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:54 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Pat, Kenny, and I, were watching the forecast, and planning on riding BVR on Sun the 27th. The forecast looked better for Sun all the way up until sometime Thursday. As a result we changed our plans from Sun to Sat on Fri. This meant I had to hustle after work on Friday to get my bike ready and all my gear packed up. I got it done, made it to bed around mid-night and was up at 5 am.

The rider turnout was really small. I think only a total of 30 riders, and 7 in the A class. I love open track, but I don’t need quite that much open track, and it sucks for NESBA. I hope the turnout on Sun was better.

It was really hot, but it turned out to be a great day. Although we didn’t get to see him out on the track, Scott Rosey was control riding. It was good to BS with him in the pits, and Stephen as well, who stopped by to BS and shoot some pics. I had fun mixing it up with Pat out on the track, and trying to keep Kenny in sight after he would blaze by.

My best lap last time at BVR was a 1:04.7, I was hoping to improve on that, and get down into the 1:03’s. I was hoping to pick up some speed in #8 and #9, and wherever else I could find it. I felt pretty good out on the track. I was getting it wide open earlier coming into #8 and staying on the gas more (not wide open) all the way through #9. I also felt like I was getting better drive out of #10. Unlike last time, I could hang onto Pat after he passed me, and I even past him a few times. I was getting the bike leaned over pretty far and getting my right toe slider down quite a bit. I felt like I was riding a lot better / faster, but the lap times didn’t show it. I was only able to make it down into the low 1:05’s before lunch, I did my first 1:04 in the 5th session (1:04.9) and then I ran 2 more in the 6th session (1:04.8 and 1:04.6). I felt like I was flying in the last session but did a best of 1:05.0. Fatigue, in part from the heat, was definitely a factor by then.

I’m a bit frustrated with the lap times, but I guess they’ll come with time. I thought I’d be able to drop a bunch of time with the 750, but that hasn’t been the case. I definitely think the extra HP is more of an advantage at tracks like Summit and Mid-O, and not so much at BVR.

Talk about being beat! After a day of throwing the bike around in that heat, just packing up to leave was a struggle! I jumped in the pool when I got home, unloaded my bike, and passed out.

Last edited by bacolmm on Tue May 29, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BeaveRun NESBA 5/26
 Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:40 am 
Major 'Ho

OK, lots of interesting data here. The green is my best lap this time 1:04.6, orange is best lap last time 1:04.7, and blue is Pat’s best lap 1:04.2. I tried to split the track in 4 equal time segments.

The orange lap is fastest in segment #1 (0.147 seconds faster than the green lap, and 0.231 seconds faster than Pat’s lap (blue)). So comparing my two laps, I actually went almost 0.15 seconds slower in segment #1, and then made that all back + 0.06 seconds in segment #2, I made another 0.019 segment #3, and 0.005 seconds in segment #4.
Comparing my fastest lap to Pat’s, I was 0.083 seconds ahead in segment #1, Pat made the bulk of his time in segment #2 (over half a second 0.552), he made another 0.30 in segment #3, and I made back 0.78 in segment #4.

According to the data, I need to pick it up in turns #5, #6, and #7 and do turns #1, #2, and #3, like I was on the Track Tactics day.

Also interesting is that on my 1:04.7 lap my max speed was 135.18 mph, min 43.64, and average speed 84.93. For my 1:04.6 my max was 0.75 mph less, min 2.12 mph less, and average 0.2 mph less. How could the lap be faster with a lower avg speed? I traveled 5.57 meters less during the faster lap – must have tightened up my lines a bit…

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:43 am 
Major 'Ho

This is what a new magnesium toe slider looked like after 2 sessions and I already have my pegs adjusted up...

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:11 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Figured NESBA was having an attendance issue with the incentive email they sent out.

Your comment about frustration with lap times is the exact reason why I don't want to mount a lap timer. I'm bad enough without one obsessing about what they were, if I had it I'm afraid is constantly be staring and focusing in times. Just afraid that'd kill some of the fun of trackdays.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Nice write up as always Matt - thx.
Hard to believe there were that few folks there.
Hope its not a reflection of things to come w/Beave-PIR :(

That's a lot of wear on the slider. How high up are the OE rearsets? Might be a good time to look into a set of aftermarket ones.

I don't think the timer is the basis of frustration. We get frustrated one way or another with or without knowing what our lap times are. If you only use the GPS on like the one Matt's data is posted from you don't know what your times are anyway until you download the info to a PC.
Sometimes it works the other way too - you may think you are not picking up pace and expereince frustration only to see that in fact your times are going down. Double edged sword. I'd rather know and bitch than not know and still bitch :)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
bacolmm wrote:
I’m a bit frustrated with the lap times, but I guess they’ll come with time. I thought I’d be able to drop a bunch of time with the 750, but that hasn’t been the case. I definitely think the extra HP is more of an advantage at tracks like Summit and Mid-O, and not so much at BVR.

Nice write up Matt! I wouldn't worry too much about your lap times right now. You knew your Honda intimately and you are still in the early days with the new machine.

I'm not sure the marginal hp increase really does much for lap times at most tracks we ride around here. Even some of the tracks with the larger straights really. At least for riders at our level. Without giving anything away in case someone has it DVR'd. WSBK at Miller there were bikes with a 10+ mph advantage on that looong straight over some other bikes but lap times for the front runners were all very close.

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!