Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summit Main 7/2?
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Rolling out at around 5 tonight. Hope to see a few more of you MoFo's there!

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 pm 
'Ho Proper

Bike/Plate #: 992
How did it go???

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

good and hot - just got home. beat. got into the 23's so I'm happy. you guys should have come - only 12 A riders :)
I'll write up something a bit more detailed tomorrow :)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:31 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
madski wrote:
good and hot - just got home. beat. got into the 23's so I'm happy. you guys should have come - only 12 A riders :)
I'll write up something a bit more detailed tomorrow :)

Nice - sounds like a fun day! Wish I would have been there! Sometimes work/life gets in the way of riding. I really need to get to Summit a few more times before the season's over!!! It's looking like Mid-Ohio on the 16th/17th will be my next track days...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

The long(er) version:

Left PA at around 5 on Sunday and rolled toward Summit with Jules. Coordinated a bit with Jim (RideorGolf) on the way there. He and his son got there a bit before we did and set up along the tree line. We got there around 8 and set up with them.
The paddock was pretty much empty. Stopped over to pay homage to Dave HMFWBIC Sanders at his rolling motel. Jiggy and assorted other nefarious characters stopped by as well.
Lots of power outlets were left open from the CCS weekend there so we lucked out with free power for Monday.
Jim was planning on staying at the track but the heat and bugs changed his mind so they followed us to Winchester and the Red Roof Inn. It’s not bad for $55 a night. Very clean but the bed left a lot to be desired. Jules and I drove around looking for some grub and antacid before hitting the hay – age has its privileges :)
We met in the parking lot at 7, got ice and some McKee D’s and rolled back to the track. It rained pretty hard over night and the track still showed signs of wetness as we rolled over the bridge to the paddock. It was already getting hot and humid.
A new TW member, Mike, met us in the AM and pitted with us. Rocking an F4i with some sport touring tires.
Very light turn out over all. I think there were only 12 A riders and I don’t think the I and B groups were all that much bigger. Tons of open track and great and courteous riding over all. Not a single red flag all day! Kudos to Dave and NESBA for running a great show (as always).
Anywho… This was the first time I actually started to feel like I really belonged in A. I could hang with many in the group, made passes back and forth and got to my personal best of 1:23.417 for Summit (top speed of 148 in case Clint is reading :finger: ).
The track was dry by the time A group rolled. I started the day on a rear D211 that I got way back at Jennings. It had a full day there and another full day at Summit Main already on it. I nursed it for the first 5 sessions but it was starting to really slide around and spin up by the afternoon. I’m guessing the heat did not help but I was happy with how much life I managed to get out of the SOB. Oddly enough it was spinning up mostly on left handers – I guess Jennings was getting its due.
I started out running 26-27’s in the first session and got back into the 24’s by the second time out. I hit a 23 in the last session prior to lunch. The next 2 sessions were really about nursing the dying rear tire. I probably should have changed it after the 4th session but being a cheap bastard I rode one more. I was sort of stuck in the 25’s for both sessions.
Finally put a new meat on the back for the 6th session and after a lap or two of trying to get it up to temp since it did not get a lot of time on the warmer and a bit of a scrub I got back into the 23’s. Actually ran my best time in the last session.
Figured out a few things like that you can carry a lot of speed into and through 1 and that I needed to go to 2nd in order to get any drive out of it. Apparently I’m pretty stupid through T3 since I was catching people through there regularly. Too bad it’s a really crappy place to pass. Yes you can get on the gas, hard, down the hill in 4 and I really need to work on carrying more speed through T6. I think my sort of up-right riding style is hurting my ability to get through there as quickly as I would like. I know I’m still giving up time through T9 but I just can’t get myself to commit to going wide open till I’m past the sealer strip there (yes, I know it’s in my head). Pretty sure I can carry more pace through T10 as well.
Jim picked up the pace nicely throughout the day and seemed to come to like Main as his times dropped. He got to his personal goal for the day. It was his first time there so pretty hard to beat that.
Mike was also popping his Summit Main cherry and doing just his 3rd track day over all. He went from being less than lukewarm on the place to liking it toward day’s end. Remember Mike, track is simple: Brake Less, Gas More :)
Glad I thought to bring a big fan with us. That thing was a lifesaver. It got as high at 98 in the shade. Still not bad while riding but a real bitch in the pits.
Overall, heat aside, it was a great day to ride. Happy to pick up the pace and figure out a few new places where I can go faster. Nice to see Jim and Trevor again and meet Mike! Hope to make it out with more regularity the rest of the season. This was only my second day out since Jennings.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:03 am 
Site Admin

I think this is the 3rd session:

I like the angle of view much better with the XD Replay than GoPro but I need to figure out the issue I had with the sound...

I believe this is either the 4th or 5th:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:10 pm 
lil'Ho

Bike/Plate #: 0
Hi everyone, I’m the new guy, Mike.

It was definitely a good day. Couldn’t complain about anything, well the heat but that’s it! I’d say it was a nice turn out with good riders in all classes! Especially judging by the lack of Red Flags…

I noticed my tires are a little chewed up which was unusual for me. Since their just Michelin Pilot Streets I should probably go to a better track day tire. I also have some things to check on my brakes. Since the length of the front straight being so long (I’m used to small technical courses) I braked at a higher speed than I had ever before and I was getting a little shudder in the brakes. Mike said to check some things like the tightness of the bearings in the tree so I’ll have some things to do before my next track day. I also need to get a lap counter!

I’d like to thank Mike and Jim for letting me hang around.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:07 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
If you are getting shudder under only high speed braking, may be your rotors are out of spec (at least that is what it was with mine). Has your bike ever been wrecked? If not, most likely not the issue but just throwing it out there.

Also, make sure if you haven't already upgrade to steel lines, better pads, and better fluid.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Check run out on the rotors - That was my first suggestion :)
His bike has like 40k on original rotors so it's not unlikely they are due...
Head bearings was suggestion number 2.

Mike, I have a balance stand which we could redneck engineer to check run out. If you can get the front wheel off you can bring it up to my place and we can take a look. If you have a way to lift the front end you can do it yourself with some similar redneck skills.

Nate's suggestion on SS lines, good fluid and pads in a good one as well.

You probably should consider swapping out those Pilot Roads for something a bit more performance oriented if you plan on doing more track time. Something like Pilot Power 2ct's may be a good step up with still reasonable durability street and track. If you want super sticky street/track tires Dunlop Q2's are hard to beat but they don't last – Pirelli DRC’s are another one as well.

There are a bunch of different timers. XT Racing is the most common one. It is an IR triggered timer and requires a beacon to be set up at the track. Most of the time someone puts one up (or you can buy your own). One beacon will serve all IR timers. The latest and greatest crop of timers are GPS enabled forgoing the need for a beacon. Many also allow the user download detailed session data for in-depth analysis. Top end models also allow you to run up to 8 channels of data acquisition in addition to basics like speed, location, g-forces, etc.

If you need any of the above give me a yell :thumbup:

Oh and it was Henry the 5th and not the 8th :biglaugh:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:56 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Not sure where you are located, but I have the tool to check rotors if you are in the South Central PA. You can bring your bike over and we'll know in a few minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!