Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summit Main 8/27 - NESBA
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Ok, that's up to 6 people who will need power :)

The way this is going we WILL be A group :biglaugh:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:10 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
madski wrote:

Just means more people to pass us Mike... :dunce:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:05 am 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 09 R6
Bike/Plate #: 561
madski wrote:

You're part of the A- group :moon:

Nesba MidAtl Asst Director#561

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Admin

lol so true - on both counts :finger:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:29 pm 
Major 'Ho

Everything is loaded up. Junior and I will be leaving bright and early.

Here's to praying I keep it on 2 wheels tomorrow. :toocool:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:27 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Fun day at Summit yesterday. I didn’t think I’d be able to get a hall pass, but my wife is super cool and gave me the green light. Pat and I stayed at the Econolodge which was fine. We met up with Carl, Brian, Mike X 2, Justin, Nate, and Tom at the track. The turnout was light, so I was thinking it would be a killer day. The last couple of days I’ve done at Summit either had lots of rain, traffic, or both. They weren’t bad, but I was looking forward to having sessions to just go out and pound out laps, push back brake markers, and improve my laps times. It didn’t work out like that exactly. There were lots of red flags and other issues that were annoyances on what was otherwise a great day.

Session #1 was OK, the track was still wet in spots so we were taking it a bit easy, but actually moving pretty good considering. I apparently wasn’t going fast enough because both Carl and Pat came past me. There was a red flag in B before our 2nd session. The A group usually goes out on the hour, we rolled out to pit lane at 10:05 and they had sent B back out on the track? We didn’t get onto the track until after 10:15 and the schedule was off for the rest of the day. I can’t remember if it was the 2nd / or 3rd session, but Carl came passed me again, and I had seen enough of the back of his bike. He was riding well, and doing a good job at getting through traffic, so it took me a few laps to catch back up to him. I got up the inside of him on the brakes going into turn #5 and tried to put the hammer down. He did end up getting back passed me before the session was over. That was a really fun session, one of the better sessions of the day. I put the GPS on for the 3rd session and ran a best lap of 1:23.3. I was hoping to get into the 1:22’s, and preferably better my best lap of 1:22.6.

I completed less than 2 laps in the 4th session due to a red flag. Even worse, it was Nate that went down with a front brake issue. Luckily, he was OK. As I was coming down the front straight after my first lap of the 5th session, I saw Mike pulling onto the track. I followed him around for the lap and tried to pass him on the front straight, but he was too good on the brakes, I tried again at turn #5 same thing. I used the 750 power to get a run on him in #10 and get past on the straight. I figured Carl was back there too, so it was shaping up to be another fun session, and the red flag came out again.

Only 2 sessions left to get into the 22’s. I went out for the 6th session, ran 3 laps, and the red flag came out again. Luckily, we made it back out and I tried to put the hammer down. I ran a 1:22.9 on the 3rd lap and a 1:22.3 on the 6th lap - mission accomplished! I figured Carl was on my back tire, and after the session was over he confirmed it for me.

There was a crash in the I group, which put down oil in turn #1. The B group went out before us so I was hoping they cleaned up the line for us. During the 2nd lap I spun the rear in turn #1, rolled off the gas, and spun it again as soon as I started to roll back on. That was enough for me and I pitted in.

I typically think Kabricky is a bit over the top in the way he runs his track days, but I do believe I missed him a bit. Maybe it had more to do with the small number of NESBA employees there, than Kabricky’s absence. I don’t blame them for going with a skeleton crew as it was a Monday, and the turnout was light. I’m just surprised with the number of issues, especially given the light turnout. Like I said, still a fun day…

It sucked that Justin, Nate, and Pat all had bike problems. Pat got to ride most of the day (his quick shifter was giving him issues) but not so much for Justin and Nate.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:27 pm 
Major 'Ho

Yeah, sorry for the 2 red flags, both caused by my front brakes completely locking up. Only thing I can think is I have something wrong with my master cylinder which could easily have occurred in my wreck at NJMP. After that wreck I Had all kinds of sands/dirt on the MC and had to replace the lever, so maybe some internals have issues. I'm going to either pick up a used one or pull apart the one I have and maybe replace the internals. Overall not bad, just another frustrating day at the track.

Good to see everyone as usual...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

There's probably a rebuild kit for your master out there. I'm not sure if I'd reuse it just on principle.

Good seeing everyone. Choppy day, I'll leave it at that. Sucks that were so many issues in all of the groups. Worse yet that we had the issues with Justin's and Nate's bikes in our pit.
On the upside I managed to find a bit more speed though I stll can't quite catch Matt damn it :) It was fun trying to follow Tom for the short time it lasted too.
Nice to meet Ryan and Carl and to see the rest of the usual suspects.
Was pleasently surprised to see Ray and Sarah there. Finally have some proper pics from Summit after all these years (and I still look as slow as I is).
Jr. - I'd hate to see you hang it up. Take a break, get some funds together, by an unmolested bike and give it another go. Otherwise how can you live with the fact that you didn't even pass me :)

Anywho, I need to get out more. Just my 3rd day since Jennings. Hope to make the Euro day on the 16th of September. Can't believe I haven't even been to Beaver this year. Ugh.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:39 pm 
lil'Ho

Bike/Plate #: 0
All in all I think it was an ok day. I certainly wasn’t lighting the world on fire with my lap times and all of the red flags certainly was less than ideal. I’m still learning. That last section with the oil really sucked because everyone in B was just parking it in turn one. I wasn’t having any problems but I was going though a gear high just to be sure. Really screwed up my drive after that though…

I was still having problems with vibration trying to brake at high speeds even though I’ve got new pads, lines and fluid. I was able to put a dial indicator on the front rotors that I usually use to degree cams with and I got 0.003 inches of run out for the right rotor and 0.0055 inches of run out for the left rotor. I’m thinking the right rotor is border line but the left rotor seems to be too much. What does everyone think?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 09 R6
Bike/Plate #: 561
Double check the buttons on your rotors. If one side is looser than the other it can cause a vibration

Nesba MidAtl Asst Director#561

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!