Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Re: Summint Main 10/1 - NESBA
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Guess I'll have to do the write up since Matt wasn't present...

First off, the weather was absolutely awesome. A little foggy in the morning, but it burned off quick. Since it was foggy, the track was cold for the first couple of sessions, but nothing a little throttle/brake discretion couldn't overcome.

My goal for this day was to simply end the day without any major issues which has not been the case for me lately. After Summit at the end of August when I went down due to brake issues, I replaced my front master cylinder and really did this day to make sure I had resolved the issues.

The morning was real uncomfortable. The track was cold 2 of the sessions and combining that with all my confidence/mental issues I rode pretty bad. However the bike was performing well and I slowly got more comfortable. I was really bad in T5 and the back section, but a lot of that was due to not knowing my shift/gears for that section. Once I figured that out by the 3rd session I got much more smooth through there, although still slow.

The afternoon was much better. I felt more comfortable on the bike and just rode at "my" pace and never felt like I was pushing too hard. I tried my best to be predictable so everyone could get by me OK and to everyone's credit they did a great job working around me. This was the first TD in a while that I didn't have some sketchy passes done on me. Everyone was being patient and not forcing the issue which was much appreciated.

By the end of the day I was very happy. I told Tasha before I left I wanted a day that I go out and ride and then come in and sit between sessions. Not fix the bike or work on problems. I did just that and actually at one point I think I fell asleep between sessions. It was good to end the year on a positive note.

The bike although performing adequately is still not perfect. I have chatter in the front end, but I feel like that is due to an unbalanced front wheel or the tires. When I got the tires put on at NJMP earlier this season, I immediately started feeling vibration so I think it is just that. I'm going to pick up a new set of tires and get the mounted/balanced and we'll see if that resolves the issue. If it does, then the bike should be back to full working order (and I really have no excuse for my slowness).

Good seeing Pat and Bill. My mom and dad came down and my mom indicated she enjoyed watching Bill pull wheelies coming out of T10 onto the front straight.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Glad to hear you finally got a good day in and your equipment treated you well!

Spent all day looking at the beautiful weather out my office window, hating myself for not going :(

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:40 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
madski wrote:
...Spent all day looking at the beautiful weather out my office window, hating myself for not going :(

As well you should... :moon:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:33 pm 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2010 BMW S1000RR
Bike/Plate #: 75
stevedave wrote:
...my mom indicated she enjoyed watching Bill pull wheelies coming out of T10 onto the front straight.

That was only the last session of the day when I decided to play with gear selection to see if I got better laptimes. Instead of rolling through T-10 in 3rd gear, I decided to go to 2nd for better drive down the front straight. I think it did help. Best lap of the day was 1:20.67 which was during the last session, but wasn't as good as my early August best lap 1:19.86.

Good day overall, then again, any day without crashing is a good day!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
damn bill, that's moving right along..

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:07 pm 
'Ho Proper

Bike/Plate #: 992
With Matt's unfortunate injury he was not able to attend the track day at Summit Point Monday with NESBA.I followed Carl and Brain downthat are regulars with Matt and I that do track days.Monday started out foggy,cool and it rained the night before.We decided to sit the first session out since the track can be slippery from what they said in the drivers meeting.We wne't out for the second session and waited for 10 minutes or so because they forgot to put out the cones.Seemed like forever sitting there but they let us out and gave us alomost a full session.I wasn't feeling it for the first couple of sessions,bumps on the track seemed really bad to me.Carl just pulled away from me easily.

Sun came out around lunch and turned out to be a really great day.I went out was wanting to work on some turns I was really slower at and brake markers for turn one.Funny thing for me was the faster I went the less the bumps bother me and it started being fun.There was some traffic at times but not too bad and I was able to start passing some people.Carl and I had some fun following each other around the track and the last session we ran down a control rider.Carl tried to pass before turn one but the control rider was way better on the brakes.Lesson learned,I need to move my brake marker some more. I still have a lot of improvement to go on the track but I was able to drop my old best time by a couple od seconds.Lowest I had was a 1:22.58 and had a couple more 1:22's also.

Really had a good time and felt bad Matt wasn't able to join us.I'm really liking the layout of that track,lot's of fun.

Here is the last session of the day,Carl passes me going into turn one.Vimeo did a crappy job of editting it for some reason

https://vimeo.com/50638783

Nate good seeing you and glad everthing work out for you at the track.It was a fun day

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:02 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
madski wrote:
Glad to hear you finally got a good day in and your equipment treated you well!

Spent all day looking at the beautiful weather out my office window:(

+1 This being banged up and running from Dr's appt to Dr's appt really sucks!

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!