Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Nelson Ledges 5/3 - 4
 Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:31 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
I'm heading to Nelson on Friday for the evening track day and I'm going to stay and do the Saturday track day as well. Not sure if I'm going to camp or get a room (probably get a room). Anyone else going to be there?

Do get a prize for the first-post-in-forever?

Post subject: Re: Nelson Ledges 5/3 - 4
 Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:52 pm 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): D675
Bike/Plate #: 17
I'll be there fri, sat, and racing sunday.

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:12 am 
Major 'Ho

Had a fun weekend at Nelson with Moto Series! I took Friday off from work, spent the morning getting stuff ready, packing up, etc. I made it to the track by 4 PM and pitted with Kurt. I got unpacked, set up, and through tech with no drama. Went out for the first session, and as I expected I rode around thinking “how can you possibly go fast on this track”. On top of the bumps, it was windy, so my bike felt like it was all over the place! The front end felt so weird, I pulled in after 1 lap to re-check my tire pressure (it was fine). I spent the rest of the session trying to come to terms with the bumps and wind. The next 1-2 sessions was more of the same, just trying to slowly pick up the pace, and wrap my head around the fact that even though the track is so bumpy, I could lean the bike over, and the tires would hold. At one point 2 or 3 fast guys came past me and gave me a tow. I hooked on and actually started riding the track instead of simply circulating. I put the GPS on for the next session. I felt pretty good on the track, but was surprised that I had made it down to a 1:16.165. I only ran Nelson once last year and did a best lap of 1:17.7, so I’m happy to have improved on that. I had made it down to a 1:15.29 on the Honda, so I’d definitely like to better that on the 750.

In addition to Kurt, I also ran into Andy (dirtydaytona), CJ, Ron, Charley, and probably a few others I’m forgetting. It was another long winter, and it was great to see everyone again! Andy even helped me set up my tent (Thanks Andy!). That’s right; I bought a $55 air mattress at Wal-Mart decided to camp at the track for the first time ever. I have to say that it was pretty cool to be able to just hang out at the track, and not run back to a hotel, or pack up and go home. I even watched a BSB race on my lap-top track-side in the dark. I was comfortable in my sleeping bag on the air mattress and slept well. It was a bit chilly when I got up to take a leak, and I couldn’t wait to get back into my sleeping bag. Overall it was a lot of fun, and I would definitely do it again.

Pat showed up to ride on Sat, Carl came to hang out, and we also ran into Tom Hughey and his wife. Once again, great to see everyone! It was a bit cooler on Saturday, but less windy, and there were significantly more riders on the track. I was having a bit of a hard time getting into the rhythm with the increased traffic. There were a few slow riders in Advance and a handful of really fast riders as well. A few riders came by me close and fast and reminded me that Moto Series is a racing organization. All the passes on me were clean and safe; I think Pat and Kurt both had at least one that was marginal. We had an impromptu riders meeting at lunch as they had put some cones on the track where the pavement was coming apart. They also would be shutting the day down at 4 PM, rather than 5 PM so they could make the repairs for racing on Sun. Throw in even more traffic after lunch, and a few red flags, and it wasn’t getting any easier to find a rhythm. I got to follow Kurt for a few laps and he was riding great! I also had Tom Hughey come by a couple of times and give me a tow. I believe I could get down into the 14’s with some more time following Tom. As it was, my best lap on Sat was a low 17. Sat would have been better with a little less traffic and red-flags, but it was still a fun day! The weather was stupid nice all weekend, I had a great time hanging out with everyone, and camping at the track. There’s just something about the laid-back grass-roots feel of Nelson and Moto Series that I really enjoy.

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
nice write up Matt - really wish they would pave that place, could be so much better.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 am 
Major 'Ho

Obligatory video. Pat, Carl, Tom, and Kurt, all have cameo's in this one...

https://vimeo.com/65610793

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
My fillings got loose just watching that :)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:53 pm 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): D675
Bike/Plate #: 17
Matt did you get the racing bug yet?

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:02 pm 
Major 'Ho

dirtydaytona wrote:
Matt did you get the racing bug yet?

Not yet, although Hughey was working Pat and I pretty good... :thumbup: :grin:

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!