Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Beaver Run 6/19 - WERA Practice
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:11 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Will definitely be some fast guys at this one. Justin are you going? http://www.steelcityriders.com/forums/i ... entry53910

Post subject: Re: Beaver Run 6/19 - WERA Practice
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:47 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
nah man, wont make it. ill be up at CHIA's that weekend.

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
:sissy: :hump:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:22 pm 
Major 'Ho

June really has sucked for weather this year. Not only has it rained 9 out of the first 19 days in the month, but we’ve been in this unsettled, Spring-like weather pattern that makes it completely unpredictable. I pulled into Beaver Run yesterday morning, unloaded my bike and it started to rain. We looked at the radar and we were all hoping the rain would only last an hour or two and that we could still get some good, dry track time in. The thing we had going for us as far as track time was concerned was that with less than 30 people signed up we wouldn’t have any different groups on the track, just open track time. I knew if we could get 3 or 4 hours of dry track I could get a full day off track time in. I hung around under Ian and Tony’s Easy-Up playing MotoGP on Ian’s laptop while the rain continued to come down. The rain would ease up for a bit and we’d get our hopes up and then it would start coming down harder again. When it was still coming down at 10:30 am and 11 am, I started to think that we might get shut out.

I believe it finally stopped raining at around 11:15 am or 11:30 am. We broke for lunch at noon. I got into my leathers and was ready to ride when the track went green at 1 PM. The track was 90% dry and I put in a long session. My rear tire seemed to be spinning up pretty easily, especially coming out of turn #10. I thought it might be because the track was still cold, and it did improve a bit, but for the most part it continued for the rest of the day. When it happened it was very progressive and predictable so I don’t believe it slowed me down much at all. Maybe trying to get 3 track days out of a rear is a bit much for me? I had one day at Jennings on this tire which mainly hits the left of the tire and one at Beaver which obviously hit the right. At the end of this, its second day at BVR, there was not much rubber left on the right side.

After my first session I came in and took a quick 10 minute break, got my lap-timer working, and hooked up the GoPro. The best lap time I did at Lee’s day was a 1:08.54 which I was pretty disappointed with. My goal for the day was to get down into the 1:07’s. The two places I thought I could pick up some time were going in #1 and #9. I was working on having a quicker transition from WOT to getting hard on the brakes in #1 and just carrying more speed through #9. My first lap of the day with the lap-timer working I did something like a 1:08.32 (faster than my best at Lee’s day) and a couple laps later I got down into the 1:07’s.

In addition to getting better on the brakes in #1 (still lots of opportunity to improve there) I started carrying more speed through #1 which allowed me to carry more speed through #2-#5. I also started getting my toe sliders down much more frequently than I had been, especially in #7 and #10. It was nice to have some evidence that my riding is still progressing.

During my 3rd and 4th sessions I got down to a 1:06.67 and filled up the memory card in my GoPro. I need to buy another memory card because I missed what could have been some interesting video. During my 5th session I didn’t make any additional progress on my lap-times and figured 1:06.67 was as low as I would go for the day. Sam Gaige did come by Goodmatt and me between #10 and #11 with the front wheel of his R1 about two feet in the air. It made laugh inside my helmet and I wish I would have caught it on video.

It was about 4:10 PM when I pulled in after that session and I figured I’d get back on the track by around 4:30 PM and take it a bit easy for one last, nice long session. I went out and unbeknownst to me at the time, I did a 1:06.62 on my second or third lap of the session (that rear tire must not have been so bad after all). Shortly after, Blake Kelly passed me on the front straight and I thought I might try to follow him and see if I could learn something before he disappeared. That didn’t last long as I pushed the front tire going into turn #1 and told myself “You’re not Blake Kelly slow down before you crash Jackass”. By the time we got to #8 he had pulled a gap but not so much that it wasn’t a bit dicey for me to dodge the ball of flames that was his R6 before it high-sided. Luckily Blake was just fine; unfortunately his bike was not so lucky. The shame of it was that had it not caught fire, I don’t think it would have been in bad shape. No GoPro running for that one either.

In the end I put 113 track miles on, made some progress on my riding and lap times, and had a very fun day. Thanks to Ian for making it happen! I’m already looking forward to his next day in July!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:59 pm 
Major 'Ho

Here's the vid. Note the lack of traffic! http://www.vimeo.com/5246944

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

good stuff matt! getting into the 6's is still way off my radar. sorry to hear about blake's boo boo. hope all is well.

btw, if you see tony, tell him i said hello.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:40 pm 
Major 'Ho

Blake's post fireball R6...

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

wow, damn...

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:31 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
lil duct tape and a buff and she will be good as new :cool:

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:58 pm 
Major 'Ho

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!