Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fasttrax Oct 3rd @ BeaveRun?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:46 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Does anyone know if there is something we need to print off for FastTrax to bring to the track? NESBA requires the release form, wasn't sure if FastTrax had something similar...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:52 pm 
Major 'Ho

stevedave wrote:
Does anyone know if there is something we need to print off for FastTrax to bring to the track? NESBA requires the release form, wasn't sure if FastTrax had something similar...

Answered my own question. From their FAQs...

Q: When I register online, do I need to download or fill out any other forms to bring with me?
A: No need to download or fill out any forms once you register online, we will have any of the necessary paperwork waiting for you when you arrive.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
:thumbup:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:53 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 2004 GSXR600
Bike/Plate #: 11
i got my stand mike, if you wanted to bring your other one for andy you could, but mine fits his so in all reality he shouldnt really need you to.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:59 am 
Site Admin

it's already packed in the truck so I'll bring both - easier than digging it out :-)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

So for my unofficial wrap up...

Left my place about 3:20 on a cold and windy Friday afternoon to head for Beaver. Rain started about 30 minutes from home and got progressively worse toward Pittsburgh. By the time I got past Blairsville it was like driving through pea soup. Construction is really bad between Ebensburg and Pittsburgh most of the way up 22 with narrow and shifting lanes which is a ton of fun with about zero visibility and a big SUV with a trailer.
About 20 minutes out of Murrysville noticed my bike moving around more than it should be. Pulled over in the pouring rain to check things out and saw that my Canyon Dancer had come apart inside one of the grip holders. Rearranged as best I could to keep the bike in place and headed West again. I knew that there was a big Yamaha dealership in Murrysville about 20 minutes up the road. Stopped there and got the new version of the Canyon Dancer, slapped it on in the parking lot and solved the problem for good.
Construction on the turnpike is terrible between the Murrysville exit and exit 28 (like 30 miles worth of bullshit). Single lanes, narrow lanes, no shoulder, shifting lanes, etc. all in a big time downpour. Again, not a lot of fun to drive in.
Skies started getting a bit lighter to the West and the closer I got to Beaver the better things looked. Nate called me to say he was running a bit late just as I was about 10 miles from the track and the rain had stopped. Decided to stop in and check in at the hotel before getting to the track since I had time.
Got to the track and had to pay a $10 fee to get in since we were riding with a 3rd world track org. The sky was clearing and the sunshine was showing through. There were a couple of small periods of drizzle but otherwise things were headed in the right direction. Met a couple of FASTTRAX regulars in the pits and BS'd with a group of folks there for some sort of big carting event.
Nate showed up around 6:45 or so and we unloaded, set up the ez-up and after his friend Nate showed up headed to the Irish Inn to watch the Pens season opener and have some grub and beers. Took forever to get our food but it was cheap and edible and the owner is a cool guy. Pens won too boot so a cool night of bullshitting, eating and drinking. Went back to the Holiday Inn where we were splitting a room.
As we never checked the in-room alarm clock it went off at 5:30 with the sound of the Jackson Five blaring. I about tossed it through the wall but consoled myself with just yanking the plug.
We rolled out for the usual bit of Sheetz breakfast and headed to the track. It was wet, cold and dank outside but the forecast was promising. It certainly looked like it had rained over night and the track was quite wet. Joe was already by our pit and Eli and Andy pulled in a bit later. Kyle and Paul and clan also got there shortly thereafter.
Everyone got their crap unloaded and we asked around what and where was tech. The FASTTRAX website is shall we say "lacking" in regard to what's required for what class so it was like working on a hope and a prayer. Figured out that we just had to take our bikes to tech (no gear) so Joe and I rode up to the garages where they were doing both registration and tech. The guy teching me sort of may be looked at my bike. Stuck the advanced sticker on the bike and sent me on my merry way. Joe was not so lucky as for some reason he was told that his bike was not prepared to A requirements and that he would have to ride I - but they told him not to worry about it since the rules in I and A were the same?! Funny thing is that he and I have pretty much exactly the same stuff wired - oil cap, plug, filter, coolant drain and cap. They told him he had to have his calipers, axles, etc. done as well.
We rode back to our pit and Nate came back from tech a bit later with an A sticker. His bike has the same prep on it as mine and Joe's. He said he had to argue with them at tech to get his A sticker so we sent Joe back up to give'em hell and get the proper tag.
Ben (foster) stopped by to introduce himself to the trackwhore's crew. Ben, it was very nice to meet you but like you said in your other post it was hard to get any BS time with the way they cloistered B/I instructional riders all day. You'll definitely need to pit with us next time!
In the meanwhile I managed to get my warmers running, Joe made it back with the correct sticker and we went to the riders' meeting.
If tech was a joke, this was even worse. No rhyme or reason to anything that was said. They only thing they seemed to be worried about getting in was a morning prayer - probably appropriate since the whole day seemed to work on a hope and a prayer. Almost nothing about passing rules, safety, flags, corner workers, pit rules, exiting the track what have you. I did learn that with FASTTRAX if I have an off I am supposed to wave my arms or jump up and down to make sure the corner workers know that I need medical attention - who the fuck dreamt that shit up?
All of us other than Nate decided to skip the first A session. I don't think Eli went out for the first I session either. The track was still wet but the sun was out giving a high degree of hope. Nate found things sketchy with both his trashed CIII's and the still wet track. He was going to put on a takeoff Kyle had but we managed to talk him into a new set of SC's. I think all of us breathed a common sigh of relief when he finally got some good sticky rubber on his bike. The tire vendor was a pretty cool guy and he had SC's for $309 a set. Joe and I got a set each to have spares since the price was right.
Nate missed the second session swapping tires but Joe and I went out. It was still wet over probably 90% of the track but a dry line was starting to appear. Could not really run any pace but it was nice to just get out and turn a wheel.
By the third session the track was mostly dry and we could start to run a real pace. There were very few riders in A and a lot of them were VERY slow. Still managed to pick up my pace and got into the 8's for the first time.
Joe brought his grill and some dogs so that was lunch. Eli and company were cooking something that looked like burgers on their grill.
After lunch a few more people were starting to show up in the A group but still a lot of really slow riders. My pace was picking up to where I could keep Joe and Nate (most of the time) in sights even if I could not run them down. I got into the 7's in the first session after lunch and the Trumpet felt great.
The second session after lunch was abbreviated by a crash and FASTTRAX is not exactly the fastest bunch in getting things cleared. The next to last session was a cluster fuck with people riding in an incredibly unsafe fashion. I almost got killed by some douche bag in 5 and then again by the same guy in 8. He went off in the grass on 5 on his first dumb ass attempt but did make it around me like 3 laps later in 8. The guy was fast but a complete idiot on the track. He and his riding buddy were making stupid passes left and right. His pass on me in 8 really pissed me off and I was more worried about being pissed off for the remaining 3 or 4 laps in the session than actually riding. Got caught up in a gaggle of slower riders and caught up to Nate and Joe in the process. Kyle I think got around me on the last or next to last lap but there was not room to play since we were stuck in a group of like 6 or 7 idiots until the checkered flag came out.
The last session was actually my best. I did not feel like I was running all that fast but I ran a 6.56, my best time ever that session. I checked up behind a slower rider and saw Kyle blow past me. Figured it was a good time to play tag. Followed him around for 2 laps and managed to get him back through on the inside of the carousel. It was cool to play tag and unfortunately that was about the only opportunity that I had to do it with anyone else from here.
We watched Eli ride and clocked some of this laps - really good shit, especially for having been over in the sand box for a year. I'm sure he's gonna be close to an I bump with NESBA very soon. We tried to watch Paul and Andy but it was just too damn painful to watch the instructional groups. I would have killed someone if I had been out there and Paul pretty much looked like he echoed that sentiment.
All in all not a bad day of riding even if it was absolutely run in an abysmal fashion by the organization. The weather held and we had a good crew of old and new riders. I figured out that I can pick up speed and I sort of know where I think I can pick up some more. The bike was great. Having warmers and having the confidence from the word go on the tires being up to temp was great. There generator worked OK and actually is reasonably quiet, especially for $175 delivered. It was great getting close to Nate's and Joe's pace and being able to keep them in sight as well as playing a bit of tag with Kyle. I would have never guessed that I'd ever get into the 6's but hey it felt pretty damn good out there and being out with a faster group certainly helped in the motivation department.
Important thing is that I think most everyone had a good time. All the bikes and riders were back safe. Nate felt like he ran faster than before. I think Joe was turning some good laps as well. Kyle seemed a bit perplexed by his bike set up but he looked good the couple of laps I followed him. Eli is gonna be the next one up in our group I'm sure. Andy seemed to have a good time in breaking his cheery.
We tried to score some free t-shirts from FASTTRAX but were told to buy them - don't think so... Checked out our photos but Ray really did not have much of me so I decided to skip getting the CD.
Got rolling along with Eli, Andy and their SO's. We stopped at Rick's outside of Pittsburgh for some grub and watched a bit of the Pens game. Split up from there and headed home.
Great to see everyone again! I am not really sure if I care to do another FASTTARX day any time soon. I'll be back out at Beaver in 2 weeks with NESBA (a proper track org). Hope to see some more of the TW faithful there then.
I have videos from the 1st and 2nd sessions after lunch which I'll post up in a bit. I did not check the battery status and the damn camera died by the time we went out for the 3rd session. It would fire up fine but apparently died like 30 seconds into my later video attempts...

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Posted the videos in the video/pic section:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=403&p=3158#p3158

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:41 pm 
Major 'Ho

Good write up Mike.

In addition for myself, was really happy with the new DOTs I put on. After wrecking 2 of the 3 previous track days, mentally I was very hesitant. I had no confidence and was really uncomfortable.

After putting the new shoes on, I was still hesitant, but as the day went on I began getting my confidence back. By the last two sessions, I felt real good on the bike and noticed I was picking up pace. I did not have my lap timer mounted, but I ran down the other guys who were several corners ahead of me (due to my stupid bike shutting off issue) and Joe said he clocked a few 1:06s. So I am pretty sure I got down into the 1:05s which would be my best lap.

Looking back I can think of some places I can improve, especially getting on the gas sooner. Following Mike into the carousel, he destroyed me on the drive out showing I definitely need to work on getting on the gas. Would also help if I had warmers since Mike going like a bat out of hell from the get go.

Anyways, felt good to end the year on a positive note and get some confidence back.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

i'm sure you guys had to be in the 5's since even in my best laps when i was in the low 7's and mid to high 6's I could not hold on to either you or joe.
i was behind joe as we passed slower traffic through 4 twice and i could sort of get a run on him through 5 and 6 getting right up on his wheel but as soon as we would start to transition to 7 he would just walk away from me - and then the rest of the track was history as well :fact

nate i was only behind you when we were stuck in traffic but then you just walked away so i have a lot of places where i'm still sucking hind tit.

that was a dandy of a pass i made on the two guys on the outside of the carosel in front of you though, i was damn proud of myself :biglaugh:

and warmers rock :toocool:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:17 am 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
...that was a dandy of a pass i made on the two guys on the outside of the carosel in front of you though, i was damn proud of myself :biglaugh: ...

It was a beauty...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!