Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Nelson Ledges 10/10-11
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:50 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Pat and I just signed up for Sunday for $80 each. Looks to be chilly, but dry...

Post subject: Re: Nelson Ledges 10/10-11
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
honestly, I'd rather pay more and just ride with NESBA next weekend and with being signed up for next weekend at Beaver and having done a day last week I can't sneak out to Nelson even if I wanted to ride with FastTrax this weekend.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:08 pm 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
honestly, I'd rather pay more and just ride with NESBA next weekend.

When you say "rather" it makes it sound like it's an either/or proposition... What about $80 day at Nelson this weekend and NESBA at BVR next weekend... :cool: :thumbup:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

see the stuff I added after you replied - i just can't do 3 weekends in a row and ever get laid again :eek:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:59 am 
Site Admin

so how was the fasttrax mayhem this time out?

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 am 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
so how was the fasttrax mayhem this time out?

It was killer! I'll do a more detailed write up later, but there were very few riders in attendance so Fastrax decided to run open track for 40 minutes per hour, with 20 minute races each hour. We got in 240+ miles of clear, open track time, ran our tanks and 5 gallon jugs of fuel dry, and had borrow fuel from a friend to make it through the last session. :cool: :toocool: :thumbup:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:10 pm 
Major 'Ho

It really was a fun day! I have to admit, I was a little bummed watching the forecasted high temp go down on an hourly basis. I believe when we signed up on Friday it was sunny and a high of 58 and by Saturday night is was partly cloudy and a high of 49. I had never done a trackday in those temps so I was a little concerned about being able to keep my tires warm enough to have decent grip. With the help of my new tire warmer set up, grip was never an issue.

We got there a little late but there were very few riders there and not a whole lot of movement in the pits. We made it through tech really quickly and they told us that they were going to let it warm up a bit and start riding at 10 AM. Oh, and by the way, since there aren't a lot of riders here we're going to do 40 minute open track sessions each hour! We took the opporotunity to walk the track and I'm glad we did. The 2 mile walk helped us get warmed/loosend up a bit and also gave me my first look at the track. I had heard about the bumpy pavement so that didn't suprise me, what did stand out was the layout that looked like it would be fast and lots of fun as well as the fact that there was a lot of positive camber to many of the corners.

I ran a soft Dunlop 208 GP on the rear that had 1.5 Beaver Run days on it. The right side of the tire had been beat pretty good at Beaver so I flipped the tire so I could beat up the other side. After I got it back on my bike and took a good look at it, it was pretty beat. I mounted up a fresh rear on my other rim and almost put it on the bike on Sat. I left it on hoping it would make it until lunch time and then I found out we'd be running 6 X 40 minute sessions rather than the 7 X 20 minute sessions I was expecting. I don't know if it was the cold temps, the tire warmers, or what, but that tire went the distance and had good grip all the way to then end of the day. That's the first time I've flipped a tire, but most likely not the last.

This was my first time at Nelson and I had a blast. Although the pavement is pretty bumpy, I never had an issue with grip. More than anything, I think you just have to pretend you don't see the bumps and ugly pavement and ride. I got better at doing that as the day went on and every time I went in just a little faster my tires hooked up with no issue. I'm sure there was a lot more grip available than I was using as well. Today I do kinda feel more like I raced motocross yesterday than did a trackday.

I had filled my fuel can up on Sat and used about a gallon to top my bike off before I loaded it in the truck. I met Pat on the way to the track in the morning and topped off my fuel can (good thing) so we both arrived with our bike's tanks full and an extra 5 gallons of fuel each. After we ran 5 of the 6 sessions of the day we were both pretty much completely out of fuel. Luckily Charlie hooked us up with what was left in his fuel can and we split it between our bikes. My fuel light came on as the checkered flag came out in the last session.

What a great day! I rode a new track for the first time, knocked out 240+ track miles on a very open and uncrowded track, tried out the new tire warmers (which worked great), and squeezed 2 trackdays worth of riding out of a beat, flipped rear tire! All for the super bargain price of $80! I will definitely be riding at Nelson Ledges, and maybe elsewhere, with Fastrax again!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

sounds like a good time - fasttrax was a mess as an org at beaver a few weeks ago but there were a good bit of riders there.

i like nelson, i'll definately do it again next year. we did 30 minute sessions when i was there with nesba and it beat the crap out of me. the only place i had any issues with traction were the patches between 1 and 2. T4's a blast.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:31 pm 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
sounds like a good time - fasttrax was a mess as an org at beaver a few weeks ago but there were a good bit of riders there.

i like nelson, i'll definately do it again next year. we did 30 minute sessions when i was there with nesba and it beat the crap out of me. the only place i had any issues with traction were the patches between 1 and 2. T4's a blast.

Could you imagine T4 with a fresh coat of smooth, grippy, blacktop? I really like T7-T9...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:17 am 
Major 'Ho

I haven't gotten around to posting any of the vid I shot yet, but here's one of Pat's.

http://vimeo.com/7035559

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!