Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Re: Carolina Motorsports Park
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:33 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
madski wrote:
she does not look too bad Matt - glad that's all it was and more importantly you did not get hurt.
i'm hardly the warmers expert but even on a fairly cool day (oct at beaver) after some time i could get my wheels to feel warm like Jr said. i don't think 30 minutes was nearly enough from the way you describe the conditions. when it's cool outside warmers can't really get you up to optimal temps but they give you a "head start" on the process and warm through the layers of the tire as well. Obviously taking it a bit easy the first lap or two out still makes sense.

What tires are you running? BT003?

Definately a good call on spare parts! i have a spare clutch lever and some toe pieces for my rearsets but i'm going to pick up a spare peg or two before we go. probably should pick up a spare brake lever too.

I was running Dunlop 208 GP's. I wonder if street/track tires would would better in those conditions? You will not have any problems with grip at Jennings, even if it's cool...

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:09 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
What jr said if the rim isn't warm then they haven't been on long enough

also running 208s you can cook the tire on warmers and actually make them greasy. I did this with the conti sport attacks. I don't recomend warmers unless your running race tires.

Also turn 1 at cmp gets a little sandy and is slick def take a lap or two before you come in full bore

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:15 am 
Major 'Ho

silvr6 wrote:
What jr said if the rim isn't warm then they haven't been on long enough

also running 208s you can cook the tire on warmers and actually make them greasy. I did this with the conti sport attacks. I don't recomend warmers unless your running race tires.

Also turn 1 at cmp gets a little sandy and is slick def take a lap or two before you come in full bore

I'm pretty sure it was a cold tire issue. I left them on the warmers for the rest of the day and they felt great in the afternoon. The 208 GPs are "race tires". I was running soft compounds front/rear. I suspect that something like a PC3 might work better in cold temps like that, even with warmers. I’m sure you would cook them on warmers on a sunny 70 degree day, but I’m not sure it would be a problem when it’s 45-50 degrees.

I did think about the possibility of it being sandy after the fact. That could have been part of it, but I'm convinced it was a cold tire issue. Our warmers were struggling to heat the tires up in that cold weather. Anytime someone crashes in the first 1-2 laps I automatically assume cold tires probably played a part. I felt like I was going really, really, slow but obviously it wasn't slow enough. I tried to be really smooth on the throttle, but I believe that's where I really failed. I think it had more to do with me opening the throttle too abruptly than going through the corner too quickly.

I used some Permatex Plastic Weld to glue up the back side of my fairing last night. It's not pretty, but it seems to hold very well, and should at least give it some more integrity. I'm ordering swingarm axle sliders today.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:47 pm 
Major 'Ho

bacolmm wrote:
Things I learned during my CMP trip;

#3 Case covers are a good idea. My stator cover got ground down a bit and I could easily see how this could end a trackday or weekend. I checked out covers by Woodcraft, Vortex, R&G, Moto-R and some Ebay specials. I ordered a set of Moto-R on Friday.

#4 I’m sold on Woodcraft frame sliders. I had a set of no-cut sliders on my bike and they did a pretty good job of protecting my bike, but they got chewed and bent up pretty badly. I believe the Woodcraft design is superior, even though it will require I cut my fairings. I ordered a set on Friday.

$285 order to SBTG, guess I should have hit Nick up for the Trackwhores discount. Next time...

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
always hit Nick up for discounts.... Hell I did today :thumbup:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:59 am 
Major 'Ho

I know a lot of the cr's didn't care for the 208s and were skeptical of the 209's when nesba moved to dunlop.

I cooked my conti's in October when it was maybe 60 that day and the track never really warmed up.

Sure you had your warmers on high setting ? When we were down in November and it was in the 40's in the am and mine were nice and toasty. Just knew I was going to loose a good bit of heat on the cold track

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:37 am 
Major 'Ho

silvr6 wrote:
I know a lot of the cr's didn't care for the 208s and were skeptical of the 209's when nesba moved to dunlop.

I cooked my conti's in October when it was maybe 60 that day and the track never really warmed up.

Sure you had your warmers on high setting ? When we were down in November and it was in the 40's in the am and mine were nice and toasty. Just knew I was going to loose a good bit of heat on the cold track

Don't confuse the 208 GP's with the 208's. The 208's were the street tires that everybody, except me, seemed to hate. The 208 GP's are track tires which seem to have been more popular. Everyone has their personal preferences in regard to tires. I've been running 208 GP's for last 3 years, I get along well with them, and know what to expect. My tires felt fine after the first session after they had been on the warmers a bit longer and the track and air was starting to warm up.

I've never run street or track/street tires on warmers so I can't speak from experience. I have a friend that said he cooked PC3's on warmers. It just seemed like a tire that had a broader temp range would have been an advantage in those conditions. There seemed to be a lot difficulty in keeping the tires up to temp which made me think that overheating them would be less likely. Even if they were above optimal temp in the warmers, I would think they would cool down pretty quickly on the 44 degree track surface...

My warmers only have one setting. It was cold and cloudy (so the track was really cold, not to mention green). I think it really boiled down to 3 things. #1 Running 2 sets of tire warmers on 1 extension cord. #2 Not having the warmers on for long enough before the first session. #3 Riding along thinking my tires were warmer than they really were.

I can't imagine Jennings not being really grippy, but according to the attached post, they had some cold tire issues there this weekend as well. There's some interesting discussion regarding warmers and air/track temp. Some one talks about "doubling up on the warmers" and leaving them on for "well over an hour" to get heat into the tires.

http://www.jenningsgp.com/forums/viewto ... =2&t=19266

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:05 am 
Major 'Ho

I didn't know they had two versions of the 208s and as long as you like them that's all that matters. Air temp wouldn't really effect cooking a tire since they are wrapped in a blanket if you leave them on long enough that tire will be hot.

I think the two warmers one cord might be part of your problem and not getting enough power to heat the warmers to full temp but I'm just speculating at this point.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:20 am 
Major 'Ho

silvr6 wrote:
I think the two warmers one cord might be part of your problem and not getting enough power to heat the warmers to full temp but I'm just speculating at this point.

I agree. I made it a point to check my extention cord to make sure it was rated high enough for my tire warmers. I believe it's rated at 1500 or 2000 Watts. I grabbed a power-strip, but never thought to grab an extra cord for Jeff's warmers...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
were you running both sets off your generator?

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!