Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Nelson w/MotoSeries/Fasttrax April 16th and 17th
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:32 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
Whatever the hell name they are using this year, the MotoSeries, Fasttrax, April weekend at Nelson has hit the 2 week countdown (almost). If you register for both days (like me)before April 9th its only $160 total.

Friday is evening only, open track starting "roughly" at 5, Sat. 3 groups. A tip for anyone new to this Org, whatever group you normally ride in, bump up one. And if you're riding Advanced, keep your mirrors on...joking of course...sort of...

I am so freakin pumped to roll the 750 out on the track for the first time :nod: !!

Post subject: Re: Nelson w/MotoSeries/Fasttrax April 16th and 17th
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:55 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '01 GSXR750
Bike/Plate #: 14
I'm getting the 750 dyno-tuned this Sat. at Karns. I may zip up to Nelson for the 16th.
Weather looks good right now too.....

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:37 am 
Serious 'Ho

Nice, come on out, I bet it will be fairly empty out there.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:53 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '01 GSXR750
Bike/Plate #: 14
I'm doing Beaver on Sunday instead of Nelson on Saturday since I wasn't locked in. Looks like better weather on Sunday.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:00 pm 
Serious 'Ho

If I hadn't already paid I'd be doing the same. The forecast just keep getting worse all week long. :rant:

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:10 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
foster wrote:
If I hadn't already paid I'd be doing the same. The forecast just keep getting worse all week long. :rant:

that's why I never look until the day before.

You can drive yourself nuts thinking about the weather. :fact

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:07 pm 
Serious 'Ho

That's for sure, calling for "scattered thunderstorms" tomorrow, I'll be wearing out the good ole Doppler radar.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 pm 
Serious 'Ho

I'll tell ya, these guys are always good for some laughs. I had a good time on track too.

Mike, the prayer lady didn't do her thing at the riders meeting...it seems she's been bought out. The same "jump up and down and make big gestures if you crash and are hurt" comment was still there though. And no discussion of flags. They did mention to not go out and crash on the first lap "because that happened at Beaver last year"; they didn't mention that it was a CR who was notably missing.

I can't remember who had a hard time dealing with Tech at Beav last year but they barely even glanced at the bikes before slapping a sticker on, didn't even check for safety wire on oil drain plug. Last year at tech they had a pre-registration book to sign, I forgot to ask the tech guy about it, but asked Todd, the main man, if I needed to sign anything. He said it was at tech. I went back to tech and nobody knew what I was talking about so I just walked away shaking my head thinking I could have just not payed and still been able to ride for two days. The whole weekend no one ever checked my sticker to see what group I was supposed to be in or if I had a sticker at all. Friday night there were no corner workers until turn 4, and random other corners w/no workers which I was not happy about, I don't know who's fault that is, Nelson or MotoSeries. I have another story about a corner worker and a video to go with it...I'll get to that. Oh and in the "instructional group" there was a full dress Harley, a Valkerie and some other cruiser :shock:

Friday was open track and empty; at the beginning it was rough, very windy, off and on rain sometimes heavy. As the night progressed the weather improved though and by the end of the night I was feeling good. Saturday it filled up and I ran in "open group" and only saw one bonehead move; overall very safe passing and no large speed differences. There was only one minor crash the whole weekend. The weather was a different story...I never thought I'd be on a track when it was snowing but I was. Just craziness. Lap times were suffering on both days because of the weather (and because I'm slow) I was running 1:25-1:30 average with the fastest lap of 1:24 Friday night. I still had a blast though, I met some cool people that seem to be more helpful than the org itself and thoroughly enjoyed the 750 for the first time on track.

I've got two videos from the GoPro I'm working on getting up on youtube. Shakey as hell but its Nelson. One is of a little slide I had after getting waved at by a corner worker. It was first time out Friday night and awful weather, wet track, windy, new tires ect...I was thinking the track was drying out but the carousel obviously wasn't. Mid-corner I glaced in my peripheral vision at the corner station and noticed the worker waving with no flag so I waved back, if you watch my tach you can see my shadow...I have no idea what that was about. Anyway I then apply a bit to much throttle and the back end steps out a bit, I'm just glad I wasn't leaned over much because I would have lost it. The other is also Friday night with better weather, I'll post the links when they're done.

Long post could have been summarized like this: high performance sportbike + racetrack = good times; April weather + Motoseries + Nelson ledges = unsafe conditions, good stories, some good people and good times despite it all. The fact that there was only one red flag still baffles me.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:59 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
As long as you had a good time. Pretty sure we will be out there in may

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Yep it was still fun.

Here's the little slide, right around 1:08 I wave at the corner worker. I really thought the track was drying out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwcFKE9ju9k

And here's a few dry laps toward the end of Friday. Don't ask me what I'm doing with my shifting :headshake: . I'm still sort of putzing around at this point, I find it hard to keep pace without anyone to chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCnPTWIczD4

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!