Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Summit Point Shenandoah 6/12
 Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:34 pm 
lil'Ho

Bike/Plate #: 0
Hey all,

I was going to wait just a bit more to see how this thread developed (nesba dates), but since it seems on the verge of dying, better now then never.

I'm a relatively new rider and I am tentatively planning on doing my first ever track day with TPM at Summit Shenandoah on 6/12. I was planning on riding the moto down and back on Fri and Sun, but wanted to throw a feeler out here to see if anyone would have space and be willing to provide contingency transportation on Sat or Sun from Summit to the Johnstown area. I'd be happy to pay my portion of gas costs even if all goes well for me and the bike and body are in shape to ride back.

Post subject: Re: Summit Point Shenandoah 6/12
 Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Welcome to the site - Figured since it was a different track day I would split the post off into it's own thread (hope you don't mind).

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
Welcome to the site, I would strongly suggest trailering, i've heard horror story about people wrecking when riding to the track.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

I'll second that - I know people do it but I would not ride to a track day. Worst case rent something like a van or if your vehicle has a hitch you can rent a bike trailer from u-haul.
Plus unless you are meeting someone there you will should bring some shade, somewhere to sit, tools, stands, food, drinks, etc...

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:57 pm 
lil'Ho

madski wrote:
Welcome to the site - Figured since it was a different track day I would split the post off into it's own thread (hope you don't mind).

Well, since not too many folks on the other thread are actually going to be at Summit 6/12-13, I guess it is better off here!

Only two 'don't ride to the trackday' comments? I was prepared for more!

Seriously, I appreciate the advice, and I am still considering some other options including a rented van or a borrowed car/trailer - mostly as backup in case the fri/sun weather forecasts are ugly. But considering I'll be 'in class' for the morning and don't anticipate pushing it all that hard first afternoon out, the risk is worth it to me to avoid an unpleasant drive - especially if someone would be good enough to step up with some contingency transport!!

As far as comfort items go, I spent many days on big slabs of pavement back when I used to autocross and have a good idea what I'll be sacrificing to pack light. Also, I don't have stands or a significant amount of spare parts anyway. It won't be ideal, but I'll stay hydrated and fed and will hopefully enjoy some great WV back roads on the way down and back.

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:34 am 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
I'll jump in with a "don't ride to the track" comment.

I've seen people tow those little harbor freight trailers with civics. Renting a van is an even better idea.

Sometimes weird things happen and you go down. As Tib could tell you, everything was peaches right up until his tank slapper. Even if you say you're not going to push it, you probably will. That doesn't mean you're going to crash, but if you do how are you going to get home?

If I was headed that way I'd be glad to pick you up, but I'll more than likely be at Mid-O that day. Good luck.

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
Just an FYI, when I was looking at renting vs. buying a trailer years ago. A trailer rental from Uhaul was around $10 a day plus the normal security deposit. As long as you have the vehicle to pull it with.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:49 pm 
lil'Ho

Since I know you all were concerned about my well being :wink: , I figured I give this thread a bit of closure with a little report cut and paste together from my recent e-mail traffic.

A co-worker and I decided to go ahead and ride down (fri) and back (sun) - our only contingency transportaion would be a call to his brother and a 2.5 hr wait for him to show up with a pickup. A bit risky, but worth it to me.

Overall, it was a very good first ever track day.

The "ART1" instructional sessions were good. They added plenty of tasks each session to keep it very challenging - both mentally and getting the body motions coordinated.

It poured down rain on one of our early afternoon sessions - it was very interesting to feel the moto moving around a bit on some of the corner exits. I had a 'moment' where the front end slid out a bit and I had a minor panic attack and stomped down my inside foot, stood it up, slowed a good bit, went into the grass upright, kept it up, got it stopped, and finally rode back out onto the track. I had a coach right behind me at the time and he verified that it did move a bit, but I could/should have just ridden it out and not put my foot down or gone off track.

The last session the track was back to dry. I had mostly clear track and finally used full acceleration on the straights vs most of the day where I was soft pedaling the straights to have gaps in front of me heading into the corners which I'd then close up. I felt like I had good body position (wasn't really trying, but never got a knee down, btw) and a light touch on the bars for a lot of corners. I even passed a few folks. By the end I felt like I was finally ready to start adding even more pace, but it was over all too soon. I almost signed up to run Sunday, especially after the instructor made the temping offer of free Sun leather rentals, but I calmed down and decided against it.

I'll definitely be out again (most likely canidate is looking like 7/18 with TPM at VIR Patriot) - maybe see some of you folks around!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

cool - glad you "caught the bug" :thumbup:
I'd like to do VIR but it's a long ass haul to get there.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:19 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
Good write-up, sounds like you had a good time. Nothing like getting rained on at your first track day. I hate riding in the rain :rant: Anyway, I wouldn't sweat it about not getting a knee down just yet. I know its like the Holy Grail for us and its a sweet feeling the first time (well after that too) but concentrate on being smooth, and relaxed and it will just naturally happen as you pick up pace. We all know what good body position looks like, its a matter of getting your body to do it without forcing the issue. If you reach waaay out and you're focused on your knee puck (I'm not saying you are) you may end up going slower. Just food for thought; its what someone told me at my first track day and it seemed to make sense at the time.

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!