Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: BeaveRun 5/23
 Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:40 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Kenny and I decided to pull the trigger on this day at the last minute (http://www.threetwentynine.com/index.html). The weather cooperated and it turned out to be a fun day. There were very few riders so we got plenty of open track. We both paid Saturday night and met up with Nate at the track on Sunday morning. We chatted with him, went through the riders meeting, and got ready to ride. No tech, no stickers, nothing. It was foggy and the track was still damp in places for the 1st session. I rode around and just tried to get my tires scrubbed in and blow the cobwebs out, my fastest lap was a 1:15. The fog had pretty much lifted for the 2nd session and the track continued to dry out, my best lap was a 1:08 and then I got down into the 1:06's in the 3rd session. When I went out for the 4th session the starter asked where my sticker was? I told him I didn't get one and he sent me out on the track. I was starting to feel pretty good and was trying to pick up my pace. I was trying to carry more speed through turns 2-5 and in the kinks. I was also trying to push my brake markers back going into #1 and into #10. Somewhere in the middle of the session I felt like I had a pretty good lap going and pushed my brake marker for #10 further back than I ever had. I felt a sense of accomplishment for a split second until Kenny passed me on the brakes. :-) I followed him around for a couple quick laps until it appeared that he got black flagged and pulled into the pits. I ran a few more quick laps until I got blacked flagged? Apparently there was a registration / tech process that both Kenny and I had missed - Ooops. We missed about 5 minutes of our session and Kenny also got a talking to because someone complained about him passing on the outside of turn #1. I'm not sure how passing on the outside is a problem, but someone complained so it seemed the CR felt compelled to pass along the complaint. We were definitely the local trouble makers! It sucked that we got pulled in early and "talked to" but I did manage to run a 1:05.21 that session, which is my fastest ever lap at BeaveRun. We still had 3 sessions left so I was thinking I might be able to get into the 1:04's, but it was not to be. I ran a bunch of mid-high 1:05's, but nothing faster than the 1:05.21. I started spinning the rear up a bit after lunch, especially through turn # 5 (I got my toe-slider down a bunch of times in # 5 as well, so I know I was getting it leaned over pretty good). It was odd that it seemed to get worse later in the session. Is it possible that my rear tire was getting too hot? I played around and turned my rear warmer off 5-10 minutes before we went out and also took 1 psi out. That seemed to help and it spun less in the last 2 sessions. I had another instance where I was pushing my brake marker back in #1 and Kenny showed me that I still had room to push it back even further. I got in and was later on the brakes than I've ever been. A split second after I got the bike slowed down and composed enough that I though I might be able to make the turn without crashing, Kenny went passed me on the inside. :-)

The other cool thing about the day was that Kenny took advantage of the suspension guy that was there from Ducati of Indianapolis. He gave him suggestions on a number of occasions, Kenny tried them out on the track, gave the guy more feedback, and he gave Kenny back additional suggestion based on the feedback. Kenny said the progress he made on the suspension made the day worthwhile all on its own

Post subject: Re: BeaveRun 5/23
 Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:44 pm 
Major 'Ho

Kenny doing his thing...

Kenny showing me how you're supposed to brake going into turn #10...

I haven't gotten to see this vid yet (blocked) but I believe it features me getting my fairings blown off by Kenny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctpOCTyx5UY

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:12 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
cool pics and vid...makes me already miss not having my trackbike

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:57 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
Cool pictures, and Kenny's Duc sounds sweet. So it looks like some guy just put the event on for the weekend? His about me page is funny, top speed on a bicycle stats and all. The question is, would you ride with them/him again?

And good work on the 1:05's!

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:35 pm 
Major 'Ho

foster wrote:
Cool pictures, and Kenny's Duc sounds sweet. So it looks like some guy just put the event on for the weekend? His about me page is funny, top speed on a bicycle stats and all. The question is, would you ride with them/him again?

And good work on the 1:05's!

Thanks! Kenny's bike is a Buell 1125R. He picked it up, brand-new, stupid cheap ($5K-ish), after Buell went under. It's got some motor! Nate a pretty cool dude and I'd definitely ride with him again.

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Nate pestered me at the R1 forum to come out for that day - just seemed somewhat expensive and not well thought out when he was talking about it.
Glad it went off well - nice 5's :thumbup: Your friend looks like he's hauling some serious speed over 6 in that pic.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:16 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
Boy did I have that one wrong, I read Ducati of Indianapolis and didn't really pay attention to much else. Well then his Buell sounds sweet :thumbup: .

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:21 pm 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
Nate pestered me at the R1 forum to come out for that day - just seemed somewhat expensive and not well thought out when he was talking about it.
Glad it went off well - nice 5's :thumbup: Your friend looks like he's hauling some serious speed over 6 in that pic.

The classes were light enough that you could pretty much just go out and ride with out much traffic at all. It wasn't a cheap day for sure though. I know Kenny was psyched about the suspension help he got from Matt Carr (who's mad fast BTW).

Thanks man! Kenny can flat out ride. I believe he and Junior would have fun dicing it up...

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:23 pm 
Major 'Ho

Don't ask me why I hung out behind #194 for so long...I don't have a good answer. I don't remember the deal on the hill being as close as it looks in the vid. I believe I was behind him the whole time, not next to him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n3Br_Ok ... re=related

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Surprised you had that hard of a time getting around him. I clocked a lap or two and he was running in excess of 1:10's - Like 1:12's and 13's.

As an aside I always love what "Advanced" group means with anyone other than NESBA.

Serious large testicles award for trying to pass on the outside of T7 though... I don't think it looked all that close.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!