Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: BeaveRun July 11th
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I'm actually typically faster in the earlier sessions slowing down toward the afternoon - I just typically never get me "groove" back on after lunch.
I thought getting to the 5's would be easy for me. My last to trips to Beaver I could not get out of the 6's - go figure. It's always a theory of diminishing returns anyway. If I ever get to 4's at the Beave I'll be happy as a pig in shit.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:31 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
bacolmm wrote:
madski wrote:
I think that applies to both of you :-)

Nice write up Matt - 1:05's ain't nothing to sneeze at

Getting into the 1:04's has been a lot more difficult that I thought it would be. I guess I've hit my personal point of diminishing returns as far as lap-time reduction is concerned. I am absolutely slow early in the session and early in the day. I have to work up to speed. That has got to be a challenging aspect of racing - going fast on the first lap or two of the race. Some riders seem to be much better at it than others (I'm one of the others). If I can work out both NESBA days in August I might be able to make some progress. As is it, by the time I'm getting comfy, I'm also getting fatigued.

Couple of my opinions...

1. 1:05's is moving...
2. Don't focus so much on lap times that you do not have fun. I've read most of your write ups and you are always pretty positive. This seems to be the first not so positive and that may be do to your bike not working the way you want. I would just hate to see you get frustrated because of lap times and not have fun (this is why I don't really run a lap timer).
3. The thing that really helped me was making an effort to get out early behind the first CR and with the faster guys looking for a bump. You might find you are faster than you think and the best way to drop time is to chase someone faster than you.

These are just my opinions...glad you had a good safe day and hope you make it to NJMP in August.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:23 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 09 R6
Bike/Plate #: 561
madski wrote:
I'm actually typically faster in the earlier sessions slowing down toward the afternoon - I just typically never get me "groove" back on after lunch.
I thought getting to the 5's would be easy for me. My last to trips to Beaver I could not get out of the 6's - go figure. It's always a theory of diminishing returns anyway. If I ever get to 4's at the Beave I'll be happy as a pig in shit.

Next time we're there I'll tie a rope to your ass and drag you into the 5's, might even shoot for 4's :toocool:

Nesba MidAtl Asst Director#561

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Wolley wrote:
madski wrote:

Next time we're there I'll tie a rope to your ass and drag you into the 5's, might even shoot for 4's :toocool:

I just might hold you to that :thumbup:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:33 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 ZX6R (track ho) ZZR1200 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 152
Just getting around to posting-up about the day, sorry for the delay.

Highwire it was great to meet you and hang out all day.

I absolutly agree with Nate about the lap timers, they always seem to be a source of frustration for me. So I took mine off after one session, just enjoyed the riding. Not worring about my lap times seemed to let me focus on other issues.

This was an odd day for me, I usually start out faster in the morning and peter-out later in the day when fatigue sets in, but I seemed to feel better as the day went on. Almost didn't want the day to end. The last couple of sessions of the day seemed to be the most productive for me, got to work with Kevin and Todd on some cornering and passing issues. Thanks guys!!

A shot from turn 1

Matt hot on my tail.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
Looking good joe

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:47 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 ZX6R (track ho) ZZR1200 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 152
Thanks Kyle, how are you guys doing? Tell dad I said hi.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:40 am 
Site Admin

zedpilot wrote:

Nice!

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:50 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
stevedave wrote:
bacolmm wrote:
madski wrote:
I think that applies to both of you :-)

Nice write up Matt - 1:05's ain't nothing to sneeze at

Getting into the 1:04's has been a lot more difficult that I thought it would be. I guess I've hit my personal point of diminishing returns as far as lap-time reduction is concerned. I am absolutely slow early in the session and early in the day. I have to work up to speed. That has got to be a challenging aspect of racing - going fast on the first lap or two of the race. Some riders seem to be much better at it than others (I'm one of the others). If I can work out both NESBA days in August I might be able to make some progress. As is it, by the time I'm getting comfy, I'm also getting fatigued.

Couple of my opinions...

1. 1:05's is moving...
2. Don't focus so much on lap times that you do not have fun. I've read most of your write ups and you are always pretty positive. This seems to be the first not so positive and that may be do to your bike not working the way you want. I would just hate to see you get frustrated because of lap times and not have fun (this is why I don't really run a lap timer).
3. The thing that really helped me was making an effort to get out early behind the first CR and with the faster guys looking for a bump. You might find you are faster than you think and the best way to drop time is to chase someone faster than you.

These are just my opinions...glad you had a good safe day and hope you make it to NJMP in August.

Nate,

I hear you and agree in regard to the lap-timer. I'm an accounting/finance guy and hence a numbers guy. I have a compulsion to quantify things and the lap timer allows me to do that. I have to keep it in check for sure and have fun, even if I don't like the numbers on the timer. My frustration on Sunday was that my bike, all of a sudden, wasn't doing what I wanted it to. Even with that, I had a great time! I've been so lucky with the lack of handling issues on this bike!

I checked my bike out yesterday. I was planning on tightening the steering bearings until I did a little research and re-discovered that I have to disconnect the steering damper to get to the nut for the steering bearings. To get to the damper, I have to take the tank cover off. To take the tank cover off, I have to take the lower and mid fairings off. :rant:

So I did the diagnostic test, with the front wheel in the air - turning the clip-ons and checking for play in the forks. Everything feels good. During that process I discovered I lost the wheel weights off my front wheel. Maybe that's what was causing my issues?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:38 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Looking good Joe!! :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!