Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: BeaveRun July 11th
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:01 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
foster wrote:
bacolmm wrote:
I just signed up for this... :cool:

You sure do get around don't you :biglaugh: . I might be in for Sunday. Does NESBA have trackside tire service other than Dunlop or is that it?

I think they sell all their brands trackside (Dunlop, Pirelli, etc).

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:02 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '01 GSXR750
Bike/Plate #: 14
I'll be there Sunday. I'll be on my street SV650 seeing as how I don't have the gixxer back yet... :rant: . Got bumped a couple weeks ago down there so I'll be runnin' the "I" group.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:08 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
foster wrote:
bacolmm wrote:

You sure do get around don't you

Hi, my name is Matt and I'm a track-aholic... :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:50 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
I'm officially out. I'll be at Nelson next weekend. Have fun and be safe!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:01 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '01 GSXR750
Bike/Plate #: 14
Beaver was good today. Good weather, tons of grip, etc. There were a few get-offs, but, to my knowledge nobody needed medical attention. I gave 'er hell on the little SV but the best we could muster was a 1:08.9 for the day. What's fun about the SV is, to make up for power disadvantages you're forced to really try hard to keep good lines and corner speed. It's more fun on the little SV than I thought it would be. I just happened to pit next to Zedpilot too so I got to meet him and hang for the day. Nice meeting you Joe.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I miss my sv :sad:

glad you guys had a fun and safe day

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 am 
Major 'Ho

No 1:04's for me, but a fun day none the less. I ran a Dunlop 208 at BeaveRun with Fastrax on July 3rd and my bike felt great. I ran a Dunlop 209 for the first time at Summit and it felt great. With the same tires, and no change in settings, my bike was all over the place yesterday. My shock and forks are overdue to be refreshed so maybe that was it. Typically in the past when the oil in my shock and forks breaks down it starts to feel soft and adding compression buys some time. In this case, it didn't feel soft, but very busy, like the shock rebound needed to be slowed. The problem was that I already had it maxed. I tried going softer on the rebound and it made things worse. I ended taking out some compression and lowering tire pressure by 1-2 psi and things got better. The bike was still busier than it's been, but it was better. It felt to me like the movement was coming from the shock, but there was enough movement that I was getting a bit of headshake as well. I know my shock and forks are beat, but it's weird to me that they felt great on the 3rd at BVR with the 208, and the 5th at Summit with the 209, and then like a different bike yesterday. Maybe I need to check my steering bearings. I definitely need to get my shock and forks refreshed. Maybe the change from the 208 to the 209 raised the rear enough to cause this issue at bumpy BVR, but not at smoother Summit?

I believe there were 20 something guys in the I class, everybody seemed to ride pretty well, so traffic wasn't much of an issue. We went out for the first session, my bike was moving around all over the place, and then I saw a Ducati down in the Carousel. It looked like Tony's bike, but I was really hoping it wasn't him. Unfortunately it was. It was good to see Tony again, but it sucked that his day ended so early! Hopefully we'll see you back out there again soon Tony! I believe it was the second Advanced session that ended in a red flag and a flashy-bus ride. We had to wait for the flashy-bus to get back to the track so Int. could get back on the track. About halfway through our session the red flag came out again and it was another flashy-bus ride. The track was once again closed for about 10 minutes while we waited for the bambulance to return. Nesba did a great job of managing the closures and it somehow seemed like we missed very little track time.

Except for the one session where I took rebound out, my bike was getting better session by session. I've been really lucky in that I've been able to set my suspension and forget it and it seemed to work well everywhere. I have to admit that I was a bit frustrated with my bike not doing what I wanted it to, and having to chase settings a bit. I was hoping to get into the 1:04's, and as the day wore on I was starting to think I wouldn't make it into the 1:05's. I was having fun, and made a little progress at getting through traffic, but after 6 sessions my best lap was a 1:06.16. I went out for the last session of the day and did 6 laps in the 1:05's with the best being a 1:05.55. I was exhausted, but traffic was really light, and it turned out to be my favorite session of the day.

It was fun bench racing with Tony, Joe, Kurt, Bill, and Kenny. Although with Kurt, Bill, and Kenny in A, there's not as much time for it. I also wandered over to the cart track and chatted with Terry who was there riding his Aprilla. It looked like a lot of fun and $40 trackdays are tough to beat!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:53 pm 
'Ho Proper

Bike/Plate #: 992
bacolmm wrote:
foster wrote:
bacolmm wrote:

You sure do get around don't you

Hi, my name is Matt and I'm a track-aholic... :lol:

Yes you are Matt :toocool:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I think that applies to both of you :-)

Nice write up Matt - 1:05's ain't nothing to sneeze at

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:12 pm 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
I think that applies to both of you :-)

Nice write up Matt - 1:05's ain't nothing to sneeze at

Getting into the 1:04's has been a lot more difficult that I thought it would be. I guess I've hit my personal point of diminishing returns as far as lap-time reduction is concerned. I am absolutely slow early in the session and early in the day. I have to work up to speed. That has got to be a challenging aspect of racing - going fast on the first lap or two of the race. Some riders seem to be much better at it than others (I'm one of the others). If I can work out both NESBA days in August I might be able to make some progress. As is it, by the time I'm getting comfy, I'm also getting fatigued.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!