Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beaver NESBA 9/25, 26
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:41 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 02 GSXR 600
Bike/Plate #: 909
Lowsided in turn 10 in the second sesession and not even sure why. Borke my rearset and couldent find a replacement. Weekend over just as it started.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Walt wrote:
Lowsided in turn 10 in the second sesession and not even sure why. Borke my rearset and couldent find a replacement. Weekend over just as it started.

That sucks - I've spun up there but somehow stay up.
I think it's pretty easy to get a bit greedy there while still carrying a lot of lean.
Sux that it ruined your whole weekend. On the other hand if it's just a broken rearset and a missed track day that's not too bad. Figure any wreck you walk away from is a lot better than the alternative.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:56 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 02 GSXR 600
Bike/Plate #: 909
I was taking it easy and following a slower rider. A CR behind me said my back tire "hopped". Not sure What caused the rear to slide out.
Suspension?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:57 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Walt wrote:
I was taking it easy and following a slower rider. A CR behind me said my back tire "hopped". Not sure What caused the rear to slide out.
Suspension?

If you were taking it easy, I would doubt suspension. Not sure what the temp/conditions were like, but more likely it would be due to the tire not having optimal grip yet and too much throttle being applied too quickly. I would think more throttle would make the bike squat, so not sure where the tire hop would have come from. Only way I can see the suspension/tire hopping is if you made a drastic change to the geometry of the bike. Doesn't sound like you did that

Just my .02...but I am not an expert. Glad you are OK and the damage doesn't sound too bad. I know Gary (NESBA CR) lowsided in T10 as well that weekend. Maybe something was up with the track.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
walt, you did not by chance chop the throttle because of the slower bike and then roll back on hard - or trail brake more than usual on the way into the turn?

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:43 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
Well my weekend didn't go as bad as Walt or Matt's; sorry to hear about the get off Walt :sad: . But I still didn't have the best time either. It was cool as always hanging out with everyone in the pits, but on track I just couldn't get into a rhythm. The story of the morning was traffic, and some sketchy riding going on out there. The last morning session got red flagged on lap 1 and as Matt and I rolled by the rider was in the middle of the track and as Matt said, "in a position that you wouldn't be in if conscious". We sat on hot pit for 20 minutes, but they gave us the full session and then just pushed lunch back which was cool. During that session two different riders on different laps were in front of me and put their hands up on the back straight then proceeded to come off pace and cut right across the race line into the right kink. And those weren't even the two incidents where I almost got run off the track. The same guy that went straight through 1 into the grass in front of Joe dive bombed me there as well later in the day and almost took me with him.

The afternoon things started to thin out and there was some open track. I got a great look at the back of Matt's leathers trying to chase him down. But the best time I could muster was a 1:06.22. The good news is I now know the B-stone DOT's will still grip even without any tread on the sides. I was trying to be ginger on my worn out rear but hindsight tells me I didn't need to be. The bad news is I barely got 2 days out of that thing. Oh and the SS lines helped out with the fade too. Didn't solve it but its better.

The third afternoon session got red flagged after about 5 laps and again the rider looked to be in bad shape laying face down in the middle of turn 6 and the bike all the way at the bottom of the hill. As the bam-blance rolled out I decided I was probably done for the day. It was already about 4pm and I had promised the wife I'd be home for dinner.

All in all it wasn't the worst day I've had at the track, but it wasn't a great one to end on. I'll put some video clips up once I get them sorted. I missed two sessions of video due to user error with the gopro.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:18 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 ZX6R (track ho) ZZR1200 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 152
I did both days, Saturday was cool in the morning, but the sun came out late morning and the track warmed-up nicely. Lots of traction.

It seemed like around twenty or so riders in I, not a bad group size at all. But the speed difference between fastest and slowest was huge, some of the closure rates really got your attention. Didn't really see many people that I knew on Saturday so I just kinda did my own thing and worked on carring more speed into 1 and 10. Got to work with Wolly and Kaley alot, that was cool. I would wait for one or the other after the session and always get lots of feed-back. Except one time, Dave walked up to me with a puzzled look on his face, asked how I felt out there and told me to carry more speed into 1 go faster thru 2-3-4 and don't be afraid to go faster over the hill into 7. I said you didn't see me out there did you? He said, nah I"ll watch for you next time.

Sunday started out cold and never got warm. Lots of riders talking about tire problems. I think it was around 50 degrees in the early am. I don't think that it ever broke 60. I had started the weekend with fresh set of Pirelli's so I didn't notice any problems. Gotta love warmers though.

Good to see some of our regulars on Sunday. Ben, Matt good to ride with you guys again. Pat and Kenny glad you guys made out even if was just to hang out for a while. nukcrash69, great to meet you.

Traffic was even more interesting, one of the I riders was moved back to B. They were really going way to slow. One of the days a B rider made onto the track during an I session, corner workers were black flagging him (her?) for a few laps to no avail, finially Kaley had run them down. That conversation was probibly interesting. LOL.

All in all, it's always a good time.

See you guys soon.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '01 GSXR750
Bike/Plate #: 14
I went down Sunday....on about two hours sleep! I was literally falling asleep in my chair between sessions. I was dead tired all day and with the weather, seeing people laying on the track, and whatever else, I just couldn't get a good flow going. After turning my timer on in the afternoon I saw that I was about two seconds off my pace and felt like I'd be trying too hard if I tried to get there. It was just an off day for me. The fact that I had a !!HUGE!! rear slide at the top of T6 during the 3rd session didn't help my confidence any...needless to say. I remember talking to a wera racer last year about Beaver and him telling me how many times he's seen riders get pitched off at T6. Well, I believe him! Who say's you can't lose the rear on an sv650?? I really should have gone down. My ass and feet were way off the bike. Pure luck that I hung on.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:06 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
HIGHWIRE wrote:
My ass and feet were way off the bike. Pure luck that I hung on.

done that 3 times in T6, still havent touched the ground there though lol

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:34 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
T6 is the up hill left, correct?

Yeah, I binned it there :headshake:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!