Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: Summit Shenandoah Sat 10/23 with TPM
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:09 pm 
lil'Ho

Bike/Plate #: 0
Short notice, I know, but if anyone is going to be at this date or is thinking about this date give a shout out.

I realize there aren't a lot of Shenny/TPM fans here, but as of now the weather forecasts for Sat are looking good and I'm kind of hoping for a light turnout considering TPM is also running NJMP on Mon & Tues - it's too good an opportunity to pass up what will probably be my last track day for the year.

Also, this will be my 5th track day, but the first time I'll be back to a track I've done before - anxious to see how that might change the experience!

Post subject: Re: Summit Shenandoah Sat 10/23 with TPM
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
How much is the day and how much is the TPM membership? Sort of tempting though I've said I'd never rider Shanny...

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm 
lil'Ho

I'm pretty sure you can register for the day with a free 'guest' membership and the cost for the day will be $220. I don't think the low cost membership level ($75) gives you any discount this close to the event and the full boat membership ($295) wouldn't make any sense this late in the year. The website is here: http://www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php but it is not the best.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:25 pm 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 09 R6
Bike/Plate #: 430
Wow this is not what i wanted to see but I am jonesing to get back on the track already, wish it wasnt 3 days notice but i dont know.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:34 pm 
lil'Ho

Well, I typed this up because someone on the TPM forum asked, so I figured I'd subject you all to my verbosity as well :)

-----

As a quick update, it turns out my radius and ulna have multiple fractures near my wrist and I just had surgery yesterday to fix a large piece of the radius back into place (it was up in my wrist joint where it wouldn't have healed properly), but it is already feeling a good bit better and I fully expect to be out again next year. See you then!

P.S. video of an earlier session is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqs0CrEop8s

-----

I crashed just after the apex of the first left after pit-out. I was setting up to pass a slower rider on the short straight following and had left a little gap through the first half of the corner that I was rapidly closing by the time we got to the apex. After the apex, the rider took a much tighter/farther left line than I was expecting. At that moment, I didn't think I could get around him on either side and grabbed a bit of front brake to avoid running into the back of him. I was still leaned over far enough that caused a significant front end slide. At this point I'm no longer entirely sure what happened, but I think I got back off the front brake which let the front end suddenly hook up and stand the bike up, pitching me in the air and putting the moto into a nasty tank slapper. After that I vaguely remember trying to get it back under control, failing, the moto going down on its left and me going over the front/right. Nasty moto and helmet grinding noises followed :(

This was also my first crash, and I think I've learned a lot from it - I had passed this particular rider in a previous session and noticed his lines were a bit squirrelly and definitely should have given myself more room to maneuver and I should've had a backup plan for the exact situation I ran into. Also, I need to get away from the reaction to brake and steer out instead - with 20/20 hindsight, I think I may have been able to avoid the crash altogether with an even tighter/further left exit - I certainly wasn't scraping hard parts and I don't think my knee was even down. I'm already looking forward to doing better next year.

-----

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:17 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
Sorry to hear, heal up quick

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Track Days: Who's doing what?!