Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Racing: Who's doing what?!

Post subject: WERA Nelson Ledges 9/25
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:22 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
As a last minute decision I ended up going to Nelson this past weekend for the last WERA Regional race of the year. I had a wedding to go to on Saturday and the weather looking cold and rainy I had written it off. But the forecast changed literally on Friday for the better and I pulled in around 7:30am Sunday morning. I know everyone knows this but after being away from it since June attending nicer facilities the place is just a dump. But I thoroughly enjoy riding the track bumps and all.

Since I didn’t pre-register and showed up relatively late on Sunday I would be gridded at the back for each race. I signed up for A Superstock and both B classes. I was the only Novice entry in A Superstock…lame. The only high point about that race was that I tagged onto the back of Tom Cutter who runs the big BMW and stayed with him the whole race. I got down into the 1:15’s in practice, and that’s what I ran in that race too. My previous best was in the 1:17’s so I was feeling good.

B Superstock there was I think 9 of us and the guys on the front row were fighting for the championship so I’m glad I wasn’t in front of them. I was very tentative on my starts all weekend because I didn’t want to jump another one and I ended up going into T1 in 8th. I got behind the same guy I was behind at Beaverun and he was all over the place, I needed to get past him because a large gap had already formed and the leaders were well out of sight. I had a blast during this race picking guys off up to fourth where I finished. At one point coming out of T13 I was trying to get on the gas as early as possible and almost highsided, it was one of those where the whole bike sort of jumps sideways, supposedly from the spectators at the wall it looked pretty cool, but of course on the GoPro you can hardly notice. According to timing and scoring I broke into the 1:13’s which I was super pumped about.

B Superbike, nothing really notable about this one other than that I started 8th (out of 8) and ended up in 4th again. I ran consistent 1:14’s but did not get back down into the 13’s.

A couple of takeaways for me this weekend. First off, next year I’m going to the drag strip to practice starts. Second, I need to practice taking different lines, I find myself waiting until the straights to pass even though I’m being held up in the corners just because I’m not used to deviating from my normal lines.

It was a good year for me dipping my toes into racing, making some mistakes and learning from them, none too serious thankfully. We’ll see what happens with my budget for next year, I ran the whole season on take-offs but finding them in good shape seems to be increasingly difficult as everyone’s budget tightens. Entry fees work out to be slightly more than a track day with significantly less track time. But like I said in another post, right now I can still get that “I’m about to puke in my helmet” kind of excitement before a race so its worth it to me. At least for now.

Post subject: Re: WERA Nelson Ledges 9/25
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Nice write up Ben! Glad you had a good time.
I haven't been to the drag strip since I was a kid - and I wan't very good at it then anyway. I know a lot of guys seem to practise race starts there. We used to go to Beaver Springs but that's a pretty long haul from where you are.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Racing: Who's doing what?!