Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Garage, Pit and Trailer Goodies

Post subject: Re: My MotoVan
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:03 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '07 R1, '07 YZ450F (MX and 'tard), '05 YZ250F, etc
Bike/Plate #: 914
Well, a long overdue update is needed...

Van was phenomenal as a motovan. She performed beautifully and there's only a few things I would change:

- Extended body so I can haul two bikes inside, tow a trailer and carry more than one passenger so that it's one vehicle instead of two minimum.

- Would install a couple of small vents in the back for better airflow. Sometimes the fuel smell can get overbearing at times such as if you overflow the tank and it spills out from the overflow

- Smoother subfloor by putting in 1/2" plywood on top of metal. The metal flooring is uncomfortable to move around on or sleep on though an air mattress would fix the sleeping issue.

- Possibly hook up an electrical connection so as to not have an extension cord routed through closed door or window

Now, as to the reason why I speak of it in past tense...

On 9/22/2010 a teenage girl decided it was more important to text instead of paying attention to the road and traffic signals while driving and hit me head on. Totaled out the van, put me into serious neck pain that I'm still contending with to some degree and helped contribute to a financial mess. On the road to recovery but it's taking time. Hopefully I can get one trackday this year.

In the meantime, I'm working on the bikes as there's a lot of maintenance I didn't get done before the offseason due to the accident. :rant:

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Well that sucks... There should be a special place in hell for women with smart phones.

Hope you get back out there soon!

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '07 R1, '07 YZ450F (MX and 'tard), '05 YZ250F, etc
Bike/Plate #: 914
Thanks. I've got an older '97 E250 that's in the works. No pics, and a very slow build. But, it's necessary...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:31 am 
lil'Ho

Bike/Plate #: 0
fjorn wrote:
Thanks. I'll sleep in the van if I'm spending the night at the track such as I did at Jennings back in March. I'm just over 6' tall and have a few inches to spare between toolbox and rear door so I'm not cramped up. However, I didn't bring an air mattress and it was cold so the floor of the van got really cold and transferred into me even with a space heater.

What I'm doing now if I sleep in the van is have a small air mattress (double if the wife goes with ;)) to get up off the floor. Then, I have my generator running to power my
led lights strips, netbook for movies and space heater if it's cold outside. I'll shackle the generator to the frame of the van and run a power cord inside the door (I opted to not install a power junction as I don't want a lot of holes which may eventually rust) and plug into my power strip.

I keep the bikes outside, but shackle them to my class 3 receiver so the don't go away over night. If I'm on my own, tools and equipment go inside. Otherwise, I secure them as best as possible then drop the 10x10 canopy down as low as I can. If I only have one bike, I don't mind loading it inside the van and sleeping. I've done that on a road trip to Atlanta.

A couple of other things I'm contemplating:

-Removing the liner so I can insulate the walls of the van. This will help reduce road noise as well as for temperature control. I'm debating this as it would also mean moisture trapped inside with the insulation and may lead to corrosion.

-I'd like to find a 16" wide folding shelf to install on the driver's side bulkhead. This way, I can put my netbook, clock, etc on the shelf and not have it sitting on the tool box.

One thing I forgot to mention, I can sit in the collapsable chair inside the van without touching the ceiling. It's a great little weekend getaway if you dont' mind somewhat cramped quarters. But, with a netbook and ripped movies/music and the LED lights, it's tolerable at night if I want privacy. I have a bungee cord stretched over the opening of the bulkhead, so I can either hand a towel there. Or, what I've started doing is put up the folding sun reflectors that you put inside the windshield. I have two of them; one for the windshield and another that I cut in two for the side doors. In really hot days, it keep the inside of the van pretty cool and at night gives very good privacy.

One a related note, I also do triathlons. The van works great for this too. It's my changing station for training after work as I don't train in gyms or places a restroom is always
available

Your van is surely good one in size.. It has plenty of space and I am trying to get such nice size van pretty soon..

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Garage, Pit and Trailer Goodies