Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Garage, Pit and Trailer Goodies

Post subject: My MotoVan
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '07 R1, '07 YZ450F (MX and 'tard), '05 YZ250F, etc
Bike/Plate #: 914
Thought I'd finally get around to posting up about my MotoVan.

Baseline: 2008 Ford E-250 Cargo van (no windows in cargo area) with the 5.4 liter engine. It's also the standard wheelbase.

I used to tow my bikes around with a car and 5x8 open trailer. I had been considering a van for some time but took the opportunity when the engine died in my car. After purchase of the van, I installed:
[list=]
Durakon Duraliner for the cargo area to prevent dings on the sheetwall
Weather Guard Bulkhead (center panel not installed)
Weather Guard tool chest
Custom fabricated CCR Bed Buddy which was then mounted inside the channel of the tool chest.
Two 120v LED strips connected to a surge protector strip for lighting
Fire Extinguisher
Oh, I also installed another E-track rail on the floor to help hold bikes down instead of horizontally for stability
[/list]

Reasons for buying a van:

1) Bikes kept inside so don't have to worry about theft, vandalism or climate as if they were in the back of a truck or open trailer
2) Doubles as a sleeping/changing area. Can go to races or track days and sleep in van (would only have one bike as I'm the only one who races and does SuMo track days in the family)
3) Can load the bikes and hit the indoor motocross facility in the dead of winter without having to worry about road salt and grime getting on the bike. Also allows the bike to warm up on the trip over
4) Bikes and gear all in one vehicle. No trailer.

It's not as easy to load as a good sized trailer or pickup. It does take a bit longer to do so as well. But, not having to haul a trailer around most times is preferable to me. The van has enough power to haul a full cargo area and a full 5x8 trailer without any strain. Most times, if I'm hauling my 5x8 trailer, I don't even know it's back there except for the occasional clunk when going over a bump.

2008 E-250 the day I brought it home

View of the mostly finished cargo area (notice the collapse-able chairs to the left, I also store tire pump there too. Not in this picture is the LED lights and power strip I installed on the left side bulkhead next to the wall)

Weatherguard tool chest with custom made CCR Bed Buddy

View of the rear doors closed with one bike

View of clearance between back of bike and door. Most sportbikes are shorter than MX bikes...

Loaded with an R1 and YZ450F SuMo

Another view

With two dirtbikes, have to load them in facing opposite directions

Yes, can even get two sportbikes and gear for two people (including two generators) inside

Here's how i used to haul my bikes and still do if there's too many bikes. I can legally only carry one passenger so everyone else has to pile into a car while I tow the bikes and gear.

Post subject: Re: My MotoVan
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:03 am 
'Ho Proper

Couple of things I'd do differently:

1) I'd consider a diesel for more torque and power. But, at the same time, it hasn't been an issue even driving through hilly parts of the country such as the mountains of North Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, etc. Not sure it's worth the extra $7K as that's a lot of gas I can buy. Also, my regular mechanic doesn't work on diesels...

2) Next time, I'm going to go with the extended van. I should've done it this time as with the extra length, I could put a bench seat in and carry four passengers plus me so it's only one vehicle plus trailer.

3) Not sure if the sliding door would be a good option or not. I considered it on this one. But, went with double doors.

4) I'll be adding one more e-track to the floor right behind the wheel wells. The one I installed is good for some bikes. But, the R1 and dirt bike that's facing backwards needs an anchor point more to the rear.

There's a few other things that I can't think of...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:06 am 
'Ho Proper

Forgot to mention that I installed some 1/4" chicken mess in order to help protect the radiator from rocks and debris. It's definitely helped because I've found a few things that would've done some damage...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:08 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
Nice setup

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
NICE :toocool:

Do you sleep in the van at the track?
I think what you said about getting an extended one makes sense.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 am 
'Ho Proper

Thanks. I'll sleep in the van if I'm spending the night at the track such as I did at Jennings back in March. I'm just over 6' tall and have a few inches to spare between toolbox and rear door so I'm not cramped up. However, I didn't bring an air mattress and it was cold so the floor of the van got really cold and transferred into me even with a space heater.

What I'm doing now if I sleep in the van is have a small air mattress (double if the wife goes with ;)) to get up off the floor. Then, I have my generator running to power my LED light strips, netbook for movies and space heater if it's cold outside. I'll shackle the generator to the frame of the van and run a power cord inside the door (I opted to not install a power junction as I don't want a lot of holes which may eventually rust) and plug into my power strip.

I keep the bikes outside, but shackle them to my class 3 receiver so the don't go away over night. If I'm on my own, tools and equipment go inside. Otherwise, I secure them as best as possible then drop the 10x10 canopy down as low as I can. If I only have one bike, I don't mind loading it inside the van and sleeping. I've done that on a road trip to Atlanta.

A couple of other things I'm contemplating:

-Removing the liner so I can insulate the walls of the van. This will help reduce road noise as well as for temperature control. I'm debating this as it would also mean moisture trapped inside with the insulation and may lead to corrosion.

-I'd like to find a 16" wide folding shelf to install on the driver's side bulkhead. This way, I can put my netbook, clock, etc on the shelf and not have it sitting on the tool box.

One thing I forgot to mention, I can sit in the collapsable chair inside the van without touching the ceiling. It's a great little weekend getaway if you dont' mind somewhat cramped quarters. But, with a netbook and ripped movies/music and the LED lights, it's tolerable at night if I want privacy. I have a bungee cord stretched over the opening of the bulkhead, so I can either hand a towel there. Or, what I've started doing is put up the folding sun reflectors that you put inside the windshield. I have two of them; one for the windshield and another that I cut in two for the side doors. In really hot days, it keep the inside of the van pretty cool and at night gives very good privacy.

One a related note, I also do triathlons. The van works great for this too. It's my changing station for training after work as I don't train in gyms or places a restroom is always available.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:57 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
That's awesome. I have another buddy who told me a cargo van was the best setup he ever had as well. Two bikes in the back of the van and two in the trailer, just like yours.

:thumbup:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I certainly think this is far better than a truck. Easier to load and a place to hide/crash as well.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:51 pm 
'Ho Proper

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get better pics over the weekend on some of the updates I've done. Not that there's a lot. But, it may help give others some ideas.

I wouldn't say cargo vans are easier to load simply because of head clearance. If I had a Sprinter with extended roof, then yes. But, this is a standard van so it's a little tight on head clearance. Nice part though is that it fits in an 8' tall garage door. Whereas a Sprint would need a 10-12' tall door.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:44 pm 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 gsxr- 600 (street for now)
Bike/Plate #: 0
Very nice!!!! Now just let me.............. borrow your motor hahaha. If I decide to sell my project I would get a sprinter.

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Garage, Pit and Trailer Goodies