Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post subject: Re: How many track days per oil change?
 Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:06 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Tib wrote:
madski wrote:
christ, almost $14 for an OE oil filter for the gix - shit the filter in my M3 is cheaper...

No cross-over to purolator?

I know there is a cross-over for the yamaha's to purolator.

Nope there is not. From all my days with a Suzuki (about 10 years), they make all their crap unique to them so it is hard to re-use parts, tools, and generic parts such as other brand oil filters. :rant:

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:45 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
Wow that sucks...

Ron Ayers has P/N 16510-03G00-X07 for an 06' GSX-R 750 (random bike I picked) listed for $9.63 each.

I run Motul and OEM Yamaha filters and buy from Ronayers. I normally buy 3-4 oil changes worth so that shipping is less overall. Normally by doing this I can save a good $30-40 over dealership prices for everything.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:48 am 
Major 'Ho

Here is a cross reference I had saved in my favorites...lists many different bikes and filter combos.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Also Fram does sell one that works for the GSX-R line...

http://www.power-21.com/FramPower21i/Re ... 09_FIS.pdf

I don't trust Fram but if you do it will save you money.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
actually purolator does make one for suzuki but it's not the highly rated pureone, it's their bottom end filter. It's about fram like so I won't use it.

i'll need to order a few on line. I've seen suzuki OE's for like $27 for 3 on eBay.
Since I've decided to give the 675 another chance I don't want to buy a bunch of filters for the gix just yet. I had 2 spares from my SV which I think were the same as the gix but gave them to the guy that bought it since i did not think I'd need them.

Tib - in my R1 I run purolator pureone's pl14610, which is also the same filter as my 675 and my WRX as well as my parent's altima. I buy them in 4 or 6 packs :-)
I just run rotella synthetic in all of the bikes. Never any issues.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:29 am 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
actually purolator does make one for suzuki but it's not the highly rated pureone, it's their bottom end filter. It's about fram like so I won't use it.

i'll need to order a few on line. I've seen suzuki OE's for like $27 for 3 on eBay.
Since I've decided to give the 675 another chance I don't want to buy a bunch of filters for the gix just yet. I had 2 spares from my SV which I think were the same as the gix but gave them to the guy that bought it since i did not think I'd need them.

Tib - in my R1 I run purolator pureone's pl14610, which is also the same filter as my 675 and my WRX as well as my parent's altima. I buy them in 4 or 6 packs :-)
I just run rotella synthetic in all of the bikes. Never any issues.

I've heard that for the motorcycle you want the regular purolator and not the high end due to how fine the filtration is vs. pressure. Not sure if it's true. I bought a bunch of Yamaha filters awhile ago for cheap and when I still had the extended warranty used them just so they couldn't blame anything on a filter.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:05 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): R6, ZZR600(street)
Bike/Plate #: 28
I change the oil and filter every two trackdays. I use Rotella T 15w40 and Honda filters. I figure changing both on that schedule is cheap insurance. Since the oil is used for both the engine and transmission the potential for junk in the oil is greater than a car engine.

I use the Rotella T oil , regular oil which is cheap, because it doesn't have to retain it's viscosity longer than about 300 to 350 miles. Anyway it meets all motorcycle manufacture requirements and if it is good enough for the big long haul trucks it should work fine in my R6

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:24 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 ZX6R (track ho) ZZR1200 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 152
The track ho gets its oil changed every two to three track days.

Since the bike is still under warrenty, still using Kawi oil and filters. That way if I have any problems I will only get crap for making it into a track ho, not for using "un-approved" oil.

ZZR gets oil changes about every 3000 miles.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Tib wrote:
I've heard that for the motorcycle you want the regular purolator and not the high end due to how fine the filtration is vs. pressure. Not sure if it's true. I bought a bunch of Yamaha filters awhile ago for cheap and when I still had the extended warranty used them just so they couldn't blame anything on a filter.

I read that on Purolator's website as well, from everything I've read elsewhere it's just their way to sell a more expensive "motorcycle specific" filter. the only legit argument I've heard other than that was that some older HD's had a fairly low pressure oil system and they had issues with the regular filter. but who give a fuck about HD?

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs