Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post subject: track bike essentials...
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:24 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 07 R6S
Bike/Plate #: 357
Ight everybody it is time for me to turn my bike into a "track bike". This is going to be my winter project. I admit I am still new to the sport and do not know a whole lot. This is my list of stuff so far that I want but will only get the more important stuff now and wait for the others. Let me know what you think about what i have on the list and what I dont have on the list. tell me what brand name is better or worse. I have a 2007 R6S.

Bodywork: hotbodies
frame sliders: woodcraft
Engine guards: woodcraft i saw some bike with engine covers that only covered the bottom half of the exposed cases. they were pretty sweet but i dont know the manufacturer.
levers: pazzo shorties
rearsets: woodcraft or vortex?
braided brake lines: is any brand better?
hero go pro camera
XT lap timer

that is all that i can think of for right now. let me know what i am missing. thanx

Post subject: Re: track bike essentials...
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
My $0.02

Bodywork: Armour Bodies if you want nice (there's a special through NESBA), Optimum or Rockwall if you want cheap. Skip HotBodies, it's junk for the $$.
Frame sliders: Woodcraft are really nice.
Engine cases: Woodcraft also, pricy but very nice.
Levers: Honestly, keep the stockers since levers are about the most likely thing to get wasted in a crash. If you are hell bent on spending $$ get ASV over Pazzo, much nicer.
Rearsets: Both Woodcraft and Vortex are nice. Never had an issue with Woodcraft and there's a real good chance that if you need parts at the track someone will have spare parts. My only real bitch with Vortex are the boot eating pegs. I dug a hole through my last set of boots with them.
SS Lines: Whatever ones you like.
I like my GoPro but it appears they are releasing an HD version so I'd wait
XT works great so long as someone has a beacon up. If I had it to do over I would get their new GPS one but it's $$$.

I'd consider getting clip-ons again for crash purposes, maybe use the dollars for that over levers. Also you can get swing arm or axle sliders. You may need a new fairing stay with a race body. I think Vortex will have one that fits. Maybe swap pads for Vesrah or at least an HH pad.

Bottom line is that this sport is a bottomless pit. You can spend idiotic amounts of money on the bike without actually going any faster. Best money spent is on track days and probably schools and not equipment.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

oh and if you don't already have a set get stands, front and back - PitBull all the way there.
Make sure your suspension is adjusted for you - at least set up your sag correctly and get a base line for compression/rebound front and back to work from. If your sag is set someone like Buck or Todd (NESBA CR's) can sort out the rest pretty quickly for you at the track.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:40 pm 
'Ho Proper

yea i hear you on the bottomless pit. i am trying to work on stuff to "protect my bike" before I go with alot of performance. i am not set on the levers only because of what you said about crashing but i like shorty levers so i dont know what to do. I read about the HD version coming out. that would be sweet. the camera will probably be the last thing I buy if I have some green left over. probably wont tho. I would love to have the GPX but i need to get faster/better and a new job before i buy that. I didnt know about the fairing stay but i will have to look into that.

You would purchase clip ons? i never really looked into them, guess i will have to check them out. how are they better for crashes?

I agree 100% on the schools. i did the Cornerspeed school and loved it. made me a much better rider. not only told me how to ride but explained the mechanics and theory behind the riding position. I would like to, in the future, do the Keith Code school and the level 2 cornerspeed.

I will have to look at the suspension stuff. it is in the stock position. all this is new to me but keep the info coming.

Thanks for all the help.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Big advantage of clip-ons is that the bars are replaceable for like $15 and it does not require pulling your upper triple or dropping forks to swap the bars. you also have a bit more control over position and likely in the case of the R6S it will lower the bars which most seem to like at the track.
Again the usual suspects are Woodcraft and Vortex. Woodcraft probably has 90% of the clip-on market.

Honestly the best way to protect your bike is to get one for the track you don't really care about crashing :fact

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:19 pm 
'Ho Proper

yea i thought about that route but for now I am just going to convert mine. I will make sure that i put clip-ons on my list

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

i'm sure some of the other guys will have some additional ideas for you.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:58 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
lantry211 wrote:
Ight everybody it is time for me to turn my bike into a "track bike". This is going to be my winter project. I admit I am still new to the sport and do not know a whole lot. This is my list of stuff so far that I want but will only get the more important stuff now and wait for the others. Let me know what you think about what i have on the list and what I dont have on the list. tell me what brand name is better or worse. I have a 2007 R6S.

Bodywork: hotbodies
frame sliders: woodcraft
Engine guards: woodcraft i saw some bike with engine covers that only covered the bottom half of the exposed cases. they were pretty sweet but i dont know the manufacturer.
levers: pazzo shorties
rearsets: woodcraft or vortex?
braided brake lines: is any brand better?
hero go pro camera
XT lap timer

that is all that i can think of for right now. let me know what i am missing. thanx

I have to disagree with mike, the new makes of hotbodies are getting really good reviews on the wera board. I guess the molds have been re-done and are fitting nicely. You crash any bodywork good enough and its going to break apart.

Agree woodcraft frame sliders are nice

Engine case guards, check out graves last time i checked they had the right? side for the R6 and your R6s for 65 bucks.

Levers can buy lots of spars for 50 bucks vs 1 set for 150

Rearsets either or will work well

Lines i like galfer but thats just me any will work well

go pro is nice but better options out there for more cash

lap timer i say leave it at home, i think to many people get caught up in lap times. A track day is suppose to be fun and learning not about trying to push yourself over the edge trying to beat yourself. You can tell when you put in a good lap and when it completely sucked, get one down the road but unless your racing i don't think they are worth it for track days.

+1 get your suspension set up for you, even if it is stock it will make a big difference

jmo on all this

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

seems like HotBodies must be traveling a bit of a parabolic course - they used to be good (like the body of the gix I just sold) then they got pretty shitty with egg shell like ill fitting crap, guess they are getting their shit together again.
can always call Nick and see what STG says - they sell most of the different brands.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:51 pm 
'Ho Proper

yea i wasnt sure about the lap timer just because i didnt want to get in over my head but i also want to tell improvement. you are right about knowing when you put in a good lap vs a shitty one.

ok so suspension. i will be honest and i dont know alot about it. is there a science to changing it or do i have to adjust it and see what feels best? madski said about nesba CRs being able to help me with it. what should i do??

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs