Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post subject: gixx 600 project
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:36 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 2004 GSXR600
Bike/Plate #: 11
as of now im more than likely going to be starting to build a trackbike out of the old 600 when i get home unless i find a deal on another one that i cant refuse. if i do though ill be looking to get it set up with the basics in the fall/winter.
2005 gsxr600

looking to probably just put the AB plastics on it. need rearsets as well what are some suggestions for that. ill also be lookng for a good set of tires to put on it. iv been running dc III's and i like them but its going to be strictly a trackbike now so why not go a little crazier. thoughts on them.. also ill finally be putting on ss braided lines lol. what else do you guys think would be good to throw on it starting out?

this is all assuming i dont find like a newer gixx thats already done up and get a wild hair up my ass and sell the 2005. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: gixx 600 project
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:40 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
I think woodcraft or vortex rear sets are the way to go

For lines i like galfers

Tire's i would just keep running the DCIII's till you need more traction or grap a set of warmers then start running a DOT tire.

The rest just spend your money on track days, that will serve you better then any parts you can buy.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I would do woodcraft rather than vortex simply because they will not eat your boots.

There are dozens of companies making track plastics for that bike. Mine has HotBodies on it and it does not look too bad but it ain't all that and a bag of chips. There are some really cheap plastics like Optimum which likely look just as good for under $400. Rockwell does not look too bad either and it's also dirt cheap. NESBA has/had a Armour bodies special. These are very nice and I think around $600. Not sure if you will need to get a race fraing stay with any of those.

SS brake lines are pretty much all the same. I've had HEL, Galfer, Spiegler, pick one. Get some better pads in there too.

I sort of agree with Silv on tires. I ran CIII's at Nelson and they did just fine. I just feel better on DOT's - most likely purely psychological as I'm not as fast as a lot of guys running CIII's but oh well. Confidence goes a long way at the track. SuperCorsa's for me unless it's raining.

Honestly you're almost always better off to just buy an already prepped track bike than convert one. My 04 gix has pretty much everything already done to it for a lot less than say converting your 05 (which is the same bike). And it just might be for sell shortly too :-)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:26 am 
Site Admin

oh, i have a set of vortex for that bike i'll sell you. need a new peg and shift rod for them which are like $40 for both from vortex. $150 and they are all yours :-)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:45 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
I think it depends on the boot, mine really doesn't have any excessive wear from having vortex rear's

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:12 pm 
'Ho Proper

i would love to find like an 06-07 gsxr600 or r6 that is already done up. i figure when i get back if i stumble across one for around 4-5k i might just have to snatch it up. even though i think it would be fun as hell to start from scratch i do think it would be smarter to get one that is atleast already started.

im going to drop d-swens from the nesba forum an email with some pics of the plastics that are rashed up on the 600 now just to see what it would cost me to fix them. that would be another factor added in.

are woodcraft rearsets adjustable? iv never ridden with rearsets but in my head it seems like if they were mounted higher on the bike it would work better for me, being just a lil fella like i am. am i correct with that assumption?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:21 pm 
'Ho Proper

can you send me some links to those plastics so i can check them out.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Woodcrafts are not adjustable but they do move your feet up and back from stock http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/pr ... gory=12808 I have a set on my gix and I like the position. My take on adjustable ones is that it's great in theory and almost irrelevant in practise since I'll bet very few will actually change positions after they install them - it's a bit of a project to do since every time you move the pegs you have to readjust the pedals which is annoying - especailly on the brake side.
The Optimal stuff is advertised at the WERA board: http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=190566 I haven't gone through the whole 30 pages but I think they are now available for 04/05 gsxr's. This is basically the same stuff as what I had on my SV.
Rockwell I have sort of mixed feelings on. I have a set for the 675. It's OK, I think it's better fitting than Optimal/eRacing but it ain't all that either:
http://www.rockwallbodywork.com/category-s/29.htm

Armour Bodies is really nice and now owned by Woodcraft which is a great company to deal with: http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/pr ... gory=12920 - there's a discount through NESBA, or at least there used to be one.

If you deside to buy rearsets, etc. call Nick at STG - and argue about the posted price, he'll hook you up :thumbup:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:52 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
woodcraft rearsets
goodridge lines
better pads
id keep running DCIII's they will work into A and if you run dots you should really run warmers on them to cut down on the heat cycles

WERA & NESBA #45

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs