Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post subject: Clutch issue
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:23 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
So I was working on the bike today getting it ready for Beaver next weekend and noticed something odd. Not sure if it is a problem, but doesn't seem right to me.

Symptom #1: Bike is off and in neutral, I can push freely (this is normal).
Symptom #2: Bike is off and in 1st gear. I pull in the clutch to disengage but I still cannot push the bike. It stays in gear (this is not normal, at least I don't think it is).
Symptom #3: Bike is on and in neutral. I pull in the clutch and shift into 1st gear. The bike is kind of clunky going into first, but it does not stall or shutoff.

I am kind of confused because #2 seems to show that the clutch is not disengaging. But symptom #3 shows that it must be doing enough because the bike is not stalling.

When the bike is in gear and I push it forward/back w/o the clutch pulled in (engaged), it is clearly in gear. But when I push forward/back with the clutch pulled in (disengaged), it will not roll freely but is a little more giving than when the clutch is out. (Probably just confused everyone).

I don't think this is an issue for the track next week, but it does seem to me that there is something wrong. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Clutch issue
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:44 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
The clutch plates will drag a bit when the bike is in gear and the clutch is pulled in. It's normal for the bike to be a bit harder to push around when it's in gear with the clutch in that it is when it's in neutral. Have you checked to make certain your clutch cable has the correct amout of slack in it? I'd say that if you can shift into 1st with your bike stopped and it doesn't stall or try to creep forward, you're probably ok. If your clutch is dragging a bit more than you would like, and your cable is adjusted properly, my next guess would be that your clutch basket is starting to get grooved up a bit. That's not too bad to fix if that's your issue...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:29 pm 
Major 'Ho

Thanks!

My overall feel is I should be fine for the trackday. This is going to be it for the year, so I'll probably tear it open over the winter and look around to see if anything needs replaced.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:06 am 
Major 'Ho

Got the bike back together last night and took it for a ride to see what the clutch felt like. Felt perfectly fine while riding, just has an abnormally high amount of clutch drag. But since it rides and shifts fine, we are a go for this weekend. :thumbup:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
cool - it's your big excuse for getting a slipper over the winter :nod:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:33 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
stevedave wrote:
Got the bike back together last night and took it for a ride to see what the clutch felt like. Felt perfectly fine while riding, just has an abnormally high amount of clutch drag. But since it rides and shifts fine, we are a go for this weekend. :thumbup:

When you're talking about the drag, I assume you mean when the clutch is pulled in? A much better problem to have than slipage. The only time I use the clutch anymore is for downshifts and in pitlane...

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 pm 
Major 'Ho

Drag = I was referring to the stiffness when it is in gear and I pull in the clutch and can't really push the bike. Feels like it is still in gear. If I push hard enough, I can get it to roll, but it is real tough.

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs