Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post subject: Hero Normal Vs. HD
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:37 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 07 R6S
Bike/Plate #: 357
I am looking into getting a camera but not sure where to go. I would like to get the new HD version even though it is a little more $$. I was on Hero's website and checking out the sample videos and the normal ones still look rather clear. They look better than some videos that people posted with the same camera. Why is this?? Do they just edit theirs more before they go on the website. If this is the case is it worth getting the HD. I saw some HD footage and it looks damn good but is it possible for an average person to make it look that good? I know the HD just came out but what does anybody have anything to say about either type. I do not mind spending the extra $$ if I am going to get a lot better video.

Post subject: Re: Hero Normal Vs. HD
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I'm sure HD is "better" but the question is for better for what? I think if you are just looking to post stuff up on YouTube it's likely not worth it. If you want to play it back full screen on your PC or TV then sure.

I posted up some reasonably well encoded videos from the standard version here: viewtopic.php?p=2313#p2313 - they are 1mb streams.

I also created some for YouTube that you can look at here: http://www.youtube.com/user/trackwhores#play/all

You can certainly see the difference formats and encoding make between the two.

The reason that their stuff looks good is because they are picking out the best they have so they can sell their cameras, they also have quite a bit of experience obviously with their product so they can extract the best from it.
Much of the crap quality you see in owner videos has to do with both the way they were shot and the way they were encoded (compressed down) from the original AVI the camera produces.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:47 pm 
'Ho Proper

yea I would like to go full screen with the videos. I can see a difference between the two posts. The normal is still very clear. I just wonder how much "better" the HD version will be.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

at full screen you will certainly see a difference from SD to HD but also remember that the camera is somewhat limited in capability by the cheapo lens, sensor, etc. too. it's not gonna look like what your get out even a consumer level HD camcorder, not to mention the pro stuff used to shoot broadcast quality HD content.

also, I don't think the HD version is out yet. but being a geek I'll probably pick one up sooner or later.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:07 pm 
'Ho Proper

this site says it will be out in fall of 2009. I just got a Cycle Gear magzine in the mail and they are selling them. Pre-order now available late October. If you get one let me know what you think. I was hoping to find on the internet someone who put the two cameras next to each other so you can see the difference in the quailty.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not gonna get one any time soon. i figure by next spring it will come down in price quite a bit from the full retail it will likely sell for at first.
I'm guessing there will be additional options out soon as well. I know I've seen one other HD system already but I can't remember the link.
I'm not a big fan of the user interface (a very polite term for the Hero) at all on mine.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs