Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post subject: woodcraft rearset questions
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:06 am 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): '07 triumph daytona 675
Bike/Plate #: 0
i just picked up a used set of standard shift woodcraft rearsets for the 675 and have a couple questions. i'm taking them completely apart and making sure everything is in good order. i'm re-thread locking all the screws and noticed a couple of the allen/hex heads are starting to round off. does anyone have any suggestions on where to get replacement screws? woodcraft doesn't seem to have any listing on their website. the local hardware store has similar screws, but only with a philips head top. i think i'd prefer the hex head ones if i can find them. also, what kind of grease would be best for the pivot points? something like a lithium or graphite lube; or will plain old auto grease work? thanks for the help; and if anyone has any other helpful suggestions for when i install these things on the bike i'd appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: woodcraft rearset questions
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Call Woodcraft and ask them for the bolts - they are a VERY good company to deal with and I'm sure they have the bolts you need.
I just use synthetic automotiive bearing grease, becuase that's what I have laying around, works fine. Lithium grease would work fine as well.
I also have Woodcrafts on my 675. Excellent product!

Welcome to the board :toocool:

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:53 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
I 2nd calling/emailing woodcraft. I've contacted them about both my R1 and GSXR, I actually had responses in about 2 hours and they were from the president (or that's at least what the email signature said. Great company...even bought my armour bodies from them.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:48 am 
Site Admin

yeah, I spoke to a lady in cs there when i needed a few parts for the rearsets on my old gix. she was not sure about something so she put me on with Eric (Wood), really cool and knowledgable guy - I was really impressed that the owner would get on the phone to discuss the size of 50 cent pedal shims with a customer.

unfortunately companies like woodcraft are the exception rather than the rule.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:55 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '07 R1, '07 YZ450F (MX and 'tard), '05 YZ250F, etc
Bike/Plate #: 914
madski wrote:
yeah, I spoke to a lady in cs there when i needed a few parts for the rearsets on my old gix. she was not sure about something so she put me on with Eric (Wood), really cool and knowledgable guy - I was really impressed that the owner would get on the phone to discuss the size of 50 cent pedal shims with a customer.

Support like that is the #1 reason I'll go with one company over another. Even if the cost is a fair bit more.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:57 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
fjorn wrote:
madski wrote:

Support like that is the #1 reason I'll go with one company over another. Even if the cost is a fair bit more.

your not kidding that's why I run woodcraft!

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:30 am 
lil'Ho

okay, i went ahead and installed the woodcrafts with the hardware store philips head screws temporarily until i can get a hold of woodcraft next week. just needed two really. everything went pretty smooth. tore everything down and re lubed and thread locked everything. i have to disconnect the brake light switch at the harness still, but i have the brake light pressure switch coming at the end of next week. speaking of the brake, anyone fab up a return spring mount some how? probably not super needed, but i think it might help the feel a little....yes i use the rear brake from time to time, so ha!

....i only got to try them out today for about half an hour, but i already love them. the new foot positioning alone is worth the money. they move up a little, but moving the pegs toward the back of the bike compared to stock is fantastic. helps get my 6'6 monkey ass more comfortable in race positioning. thumbs up for sure.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:33 am 
Site Admin

my 675 is track only so no brake lights or switches.
on my street bike i have vortex rearsets and i run a pressure switch. i can't say i've noticed a real difference in feel for the rear brake without a return spring.
not sure if WC sells a return spring for their rearsets - i know others do or you can certainly redneck engineer one pretty easily.

i think the other you'll notice is how much more solid the new rearsets feel in comparison to OE. it's a great mod all the way around.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:38 am 
lil'Ho

totally agree with you on the more solid feel. my roommate has some vortex's on his kawi' and he always mentioned about the solid thing, but i never understood what he meant till installing these. one thing that does worry me a little is the shift rod. it's super close to the frame, but still not touching. this can't be normal can it?:

also, i ended up getting a bunch of replacement bolts from mcmaster-carr since i was ordering replacement brass elbows for the stupid reservoir tank plastic ones. so if anyone wants some extra's, let me know and i'll hook you up for postage basically. i seem to have an excess, lol:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Mine is deffinately not over that far to the outside - while it's not dead center it's maybe like 3/8" away from the bowed out edge of the frame.
Mine are GP and there is additional linkage on the inside of the rearset. If yours are standard they may put the rod in a different position but that image certainly would concern me.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs