Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post subject: adjustable clip-ons
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:49 am 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): '07 triumph daytona 675
Bike/Plate #: 0
i have a question about adjustable clip-ons that are available out their for my 675. i see many have adjustments for up-down and length, but do any offer adjustments so that i can move the bars forward? i have no problem with the stock height or angle, i just have long arms and would love to have the bars just a tad forward of where they are if possible. maybe rotating the bars around the fork tubes? so, right bar counter-clockwise and left bar clockwise. do aftermarket clip-ons offer that kind of movement? .....hell, do the stock ones?

Post subject: Re: adjustable clip-ons
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:09 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
check these out...

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t= ... ht=renthal

as long as you have clearance you'd be able to move them forward or backwards to your desire.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
OE cannot really be rotated - they have a bolt that fixes them in place. If you look under the tripple you will see it.
All of the major aftermarket ones I've seen can be rotated and adjusted for length as well. You only really have so much adjustment forward and back because if you go too far forward you will start hitting fairings, cluster, etc. - not with the bars themselves but with the stuff attached to them. That said you can certainly go a good bit more forward than OE position with aftermarket ones.
The driven in the link are cute but I'd stick with Woodcraft. I like the 2 piece clamps of the WC's - much easier to install/remove. All the bars are interchangeble anyway since they are 17mm in diameter.
I use a wire coat hanger to set mine up where I want them - sort of a template for the angle.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:24 am 
Major 'Ho

madski wrote:
The driven in the link are cute but I'd stick with Woodcraft. I like the 2 piece clamps of the WC's - much easier to install/remove. All the bars are interchangeble anyway since they are 17mm in diameter.
I use a wire coat hanger to set mine up where I want them - sort of a template for the angle.

I had the wera board open on another tab so I had easy access to a link. The renthals look nice but i'd also go with WC if I was buying a set since they are 2 piece like you said.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 am 
Site Admin

mea culpa - I said driven - meant renthal :-)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:11 am 
lil'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): '07 triumph daytona 675
Bike/Plate #: 0
i was looking at the woodcraft and the apex ones for the sure fact of the clamping design alone. but the renthals look great for a complete nut case like me who needs things measured straight and the same. those markings are fantastic. it might come down to what deal i can get for each set. the removal probably won't bother me much since i don't foresee myself taking them on and off a lot. just doing track days at the moment; no racing.

pretty much any of them i go with, i'm going to have to drill and tap holes for the controls/switches right? no big deal, just trying to estimate what i need to do.

also, when taking off the upper triple clamp, can you get away with leaving the ignition installed and just lay it aside during the install? i don't want to mess with the rivets if i don't have to.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:53 am 
Major 'Ho

43%burnt wrote:
i was looking at the woodcraft and the apex ones for the sure fact of the clamping design alone. but the renthals look great for a complete nut case like me who needs things measured straight and the same. those markings are fantastic. it might come down to what deal i can get for each set. the removal probably won't bother me much since i don't foresee myself taking them on and off a lot. just doing track days at the moment; no racing.

pretty much any of them i go with, i'm going to have to drill and tap holes for the controls/switches right? no big deal, just trying to estimate what i need to do.

also, when taking off the upper triple clamp, can you get away with leaving the ignition installed and just lay it aside during the install? i don't want to mess with the rivets if i don't have to.

On the wera forum, contact Riders Discount about pricing on clip ons...send him a PM and they'll take good care of you. Everything I have bought from them has been priced very very low. Example, Pitbull Rear Stand - Retail is around $159...it was $121 shipped to my house.

Any of the aftermarket clips on will require you to fit the stock controls to them, normally just drilling a relief hole.

As far as the ignition, as long as the cable is long enough you should have to remove it from the clamp, but i'm not 100% sure since I haven't done it on your bike before.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Popping the top of the tripple off on a Daytona is not a problem. The ignition cable is long enough to allow it.
I'd also give Nick @ STG a shout. They have always done a great job of taking care of the guys here. Which ever you call please mention this site!

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs