Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post subject: Project "Oops"
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:22 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
Had an off at Nelson last night. I figured its only 2 weeks till I get married I'll just go out for some cheap track time and take it easy. Well I got there and promptly bought a set of B-stone DOT's mounted them up and went to the riders meeting. It seems a car had leaked oil from turn 4 all the way through 13 on the race line and we were told there was oil dry on it. That's when I should have just packed it in, but I had already paid.

Friday's are open track no sessions. The tire guy didn't like my bent lip on my rear rim he said it wasn't leaking but he wanted me to come in after a few laps and check the pressure. So I went out and took it easy on the cold new tires for 3 laps and then tried to get on pace. I never really felt completely comfortable partially because now instead of dodging bumps I was dodging bumps AND oil dry. And I think the other part was the DOT's were giving me some very different feedback than I was used to. Anyway I came in after 8 laps or so and pressures were fine. Got some water and went back out.

I don't really know what happened but I came into 12 way too hot but I didn't think I had missed my marker. I headed down the front straight frustrated at the slow lap times and made a decision to try and turn a hot lap. I threw it into one got back on the gas hard through 2 and as I was approaching the bump/apex in 3 the front washed out. I slid on my hip and shoulder and conked my head at the pavement/grass junction. As I was sliding I was watching the bike and about the time I saw it launch off the side of the track is when I realized this corner is slightly banked with a downslope in the grass. The bike started barrel rolling and didn't stop until it hit the tire wall. It was crazy to watch.

My gear did its job, I'm glad I had my "football pads/compression shorts" on cause I landed right on my hip. The Teknic leathes have a small hole in the first layer of leather on the leg and scuff marks is it. My lid has a bang mark so I'll need a new one. The guy behind me says I flipped but I don't remember that. All I have is a strawberry on my hip and a bruise on my forearm.

The bike did not fare so well. Its not as bad as Tibs was but:
Both rims are bent to shit, rear rotor warped, left clip-on broke off, fairing stay snapped, gauge housing and glass broke, right side slider did its job but is toast, windscreen cracked, front brake reservoir smashed, left ram air duct smashed, clutch cover scraped but still holds fluid, rear sub-frame snapped and the upper and tail plastics are probably beyond repair, lower will need some work but may be salvageable. I may just start over with some Optimal stuff.

Post subject: Re: Project "Oops"
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:24 pm 
Serious 'Ho

So begins the project. Here are some pictures of the carnage.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:22 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
Wow...that sucks man...glad to hear that your alright given the circumstances.

I like that "Not as bad as Tib's"....you just gotta rub it in don't ya :finger:

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Err..... Glad you're OK. The bike looks like it's not a lost cause.
Probably will look better once you get the plastics off.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Tib wrote:
Wow...that sucks man...glad to hear that your alright given the circumstances.

I like that "Not as bad as Tib's"....you just gotta rub it in don't ya :finger:

What can I say, you set the benchmark! I forgot to add to my list that my lap timer won't turn on. I've checked and the batter is seated correctly, I had it zip-tied so I didn't lose it and it looks physically fine. How much did XT charge you when you sent yours in?

madski wrote:
Err..... Glad you're OK. The bike looks like it's not a lost cause.
Probably will look better once you get the plastics off.

Yeah it looks much better now, but still looks like around $1k worth of parts to get it back to normal. I'm hittin WERA and eBay hard. The rims are what are really biting me right now. If it wasn't for those it wouldn't have been that bad. As it is my "cheap" $60 night turned into a pretty big financial hurt.

Funny thing, I'm not going to blame the tires....but...

When I bought the DOT's I said I wanted to make sure whatever I got was the same profile as the 003RS's I've been using so I didn't have to change my set-up. Quentin Mize told me I needed the type 3 front and type 2 rear. I just checked in the garage as I have a set of new 003RS's and compared the fronts. The type 3 is definitely steeper, the 003RS has a rounder profile. I'm going to have to research this a bit but I wonder if the steeper front threw me off. I know at the end of the day I made a mistake but it is interesting.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:48 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Glad you are OK. Bike definitely looks fixable.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:35 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
foster wrote:
What can I say, you set the benchmark! I forgot to add to my list that my lap timer won't turn on. I've checked and the batter is seated correctly, I had it zip-tied so I didn't lose it and it looks physically fine. How much did XT charge you when you sent yours in?

haha yeah i did didn't I...not really an award i'm happy to own :headshake:

XT Racing charged a flat rate of $25 and shipping. Mine required a whole new processor board. Back to normal now.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:51 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Sorry to hear about that Ben, but glad it wasn't worse! I'd suggest a set of case guards. I got some after I had a really slow speed low-side that almost ground through my stator cover. Those covers are made to be light, so it doesn't take much. I prefer the bolt on guards over the replacement covers, just because they're easier to install. They did have some really inexpensive GSXR guards on Ebay that would be money, but I don't see them out there currently.

http://www.motomummy.com/store/product. ... 333&page=1

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:26 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Tib wrote:

haha yeah i did didn't I...not really an award i'm happy to own :headshake:

XT Racing charged a flat rate of $25 and shipping. Mine required a whole new processor board. Back to normal now.

Nice, I'll be sending mine in, its weird it looks fine no scratches but it must have take a serious hit.

bacolmm wrote:
Sorry to hear about that Ben, but glad it wasn't worse! I'd suggest a set of case guards. I got some after I had a really slow speed low-side that almost ground through my stator cover. Those covers are made to be light, so it doesn't take much. I prefer the bolt on guards over the replacement covers, just because they're easier to install. They did have some really inexpensive GSXR guards on Ebay that would be money, but I don't see them out there currently.

http://www.motomummy.com/store/product. ... 333&page=1

Thanks for the link, I was wishin I would have had those installed already!

The good thing about having this year GSXR is there seems to be a TON of guys crashing them haha. Throughout the weekend hitting WERA and eBay I've found and sent paypal for every part I need used except for bodywork. That's not bad for 2 days of "shopping". I think I'll try the Optimal bodywork that a guy on WERA is selling sets of for $355 shipped. Now I'll just start piecing it back together as the parts come in. My goal is to have it done by next weekend except for the bodywork painted.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:32 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
foster wrote:
Thanks for the link, I was wishin I would have had those installed already!

As long as it's not leaking, I'd just throw the guard over the rashed case. That's what I did on mine. Dual purpose - protects and hides the rash! :thumbup: Glad to hear you've been lucky on WERA and Ebay!

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs