Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project "Oops"
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Sounds like excellent progress Ben! I like how poeple list parts on WERA, they don't even mention they are for a GSXR - Sort of like "wheels for an 07 600 for sale" - you can safely assume it's for a gix.

I like the idea of actually using a replacement cover like WC's rather than just an overlay. I know it's a bit mor einvolved though. You might want to check with Nick at STG for any new parts you need. Tell him you're from here. He's been good to other guys from this place on pricing.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:15 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
madski wrote:
Sounds like excellent progress Ben! I like how poeple list parts on WERA, they don't even mention they are for a GSXR - Sort of like "wheels for an 07 600 for sale" - you can safely assume it's for a gix.

I like the idea of actually using a replacement cover like WC's rather than just an overlay. I know it's a bit mor einvolved though. You might want to check with Nick at STG for any new parts you need. Tell him you're from here. He's been good to other guys from this place on pricing.

Yeah I just had to search for stuff like "front wheel" and got tons of gsxr threads ha!

I will hit Nick up for sure to see what they have. I think at this point it will come down to cost. And a replacement could actually be cheaper in the long run if I ever want to get the bike back to looking perfect as I'd have to buy a OEM cover to go under the overlay.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:39 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
Sorry to hear about the off

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:01 am 
Serious 'Ho

This is interesting...again I know I made a mistake and there are plenty of dudes running all kinds of variations of compounds with success but I won't be buying a type 3 front again. I need all the help staying on 2 wheels I can get.

Straight from B-stone's DOT tire info page:

"TYPE2 (Hard to Medium): Longer wear life. Best application for Abrasive Race Track and for Endurance Race.
TYPE3 (Medium): For riders who prefer quick response and light handling. For smooth tarmac.
TYPE4 (Soft to Medium): For riders who prefer stable handling. For bumpy tarmac."

The type 3 was recommended to me by Quentin Mize at Nelson Ledges. Hhmmm...

Also he said they come out of the same mold as the 003 RS. But doing my own research, the RS front is 602mm and the type 3 is 599mm. Thus changing the geometry which I specifically asked about before buying. Just for reference the type 4 is 601mm.

I got a response back from Stickboy on WERA who said if I wanted the same turn in as the 003RS I would need the type 4 as it is the same shape.

Stick=win
Quentin=fail

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Quentin is a bit of an odd duck but he's usually been pretty good with me. I've bought a few sets of tires from him. He definitely has very rigid notions of what he does and does not like.
If I can interject a word of "wisdom" from personal experience. I've managed to so far keep it on 2 wheels on the track but I have not been as lucky on the street. I low sided my track SV650 on the street right after my first track day :-) I basically spun up the rear and had it just slide out from under me. I spent a very long time trying to figure out why it did what it did. At the time I kept coming back to an odd profile on the M3's I had on the bike. In retrospect I simply fucked up. I got greedy with the throttle and spun it up. I was also stupid to be riding the street like the track but that's a whole other ball of wax.
I guess the point is that chances are it had little to do with your tire and most likely something to with the input into the bike. As such trying to chase this or that about subtleties of front tire profiles will only drive you nuts.
The thing that sticks out is the fact that there was oil on the track and that you were running in and out of kittle litter. Who knows what you picked up? Another thing is that with all the patching and different surface materials (and traction) at Nelson your suspension is doing all sorts of interesting shit. And if memory serves you do get on the brakes going into T3 after the fast sweepers in T1 & 2.
Sometimes just beating things to death does not help. I think the anal retentive thread is very strong in most track/race types. We all tend to do it and then end up with semi-religious takes on equipment and particularly tires. I'm just as guilty of it as the next guy :-)

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:31 pm 
Serious 'Ho

madski wrote:
Quentin is a bit of an odd duck but he's usually been pretty good with me. I've bought a few sets of tires from him. He definitely has very rigid notions of what he does and does not like.
If I can interject a word of "wisdom" from personal experience. I've managed to so far keep it on 2 wheels on the track but I have not been as lucky on the street. I low sided my track SV650 on the street right after my first track day :-) I basically spun up the rear and had it just slide out from under me. I spent a very long time trying to figure out why it did what it did. At the time I kept coming back to an odd profile on the M3's I had on the bike. In retrospect I simply fucked up. I got greedy with the throttle and spun it up. I was also stupid to be riding the street like the track but that's a whole other ball of wax.
I guess the point is that chances are it had little to do with your tire and most likely something to with the input into the bike. As such trying to chase this or that about subtleties of front tire profiles will only drive you nuts.
The thing that sticks out is the fact that there was oil on the track and that you were running in and out of kittle litter. Who knows what you picked up? Another thing is that with all the patching and different surface materials (and traction) at Nelson your suspension is doing all sorts of interesting shit. And if memory serves you do get on the brakes going into T3 after the fast sweepers in T1 & 2.
Sometimes just beating things to death does not help. I think the anal retentive thread is very strong in most track/race types. We all tend to do it and then end up with semi-religious takes on equipment and particularly tires. I'm just as guilty of it as the next guy :-)

I agree, going down was definitely my fault and I'm overthinking it. And I'm probably being a bit too harsh on Quentin I'm just surprised he didn't mention these nuances. He did help me out afterwards checking my rotors to see if they were warped, rims were obviously toast.

This was my first crash on track and second crash in 12 years of riding. The sooner I get back out there the better as far as I'm concerned.

And religious like opinions of equipment is spot on...type 4 or "round" profile is all I'll ride on from here on out :toocool:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:24 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Probably get a better price on the guards here... http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=230093

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 am 
Serious 'Ho

This is taking a bit longer than I wanted...Almost finished though.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
Looks Good! It always takes longer, and costs more, than you think it will. My rule of thumb is that it will take twice as long and cost twice as much as I first expect...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:20 am 
Site Admin

duct tape - the answer to everything :thumbup:

looks like progress - you putting street stuff back on it?

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs