Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs

Post subject: SS brake lines
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:54 am 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
Are they all created equal? So many choices even from the same brand, Superbike, -2, 2 lines from master, 1 line into 2.

Here's what my research has come up with so far. 2 lines or 1 with a T: Rider's Discount seems to think they get more even pad wear with the Superbike 1 into 2 kit. Most others claim its personal preference regarding feel or doesn't matter at all. Same with the -2, personal preference, firmer lever but less feel.

Whatd'ya got and how do you like it? Right now I'm leaning toward the Goodridge Superbike 1 into 2 kit just because that's what TJ says works best for them on their race bikes.

Post subject: Re: SS brake lines
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
The configuration probably does not matter much. For some reason, hardly a scientific one, I like the 2 lines from the master option. My R1 is set up that way but the 675 is a crossover (it comes with SS lines from the factory).
I use Goodridge lines on my M. No complaints. I have HEL lines on my R1, no complaints there either.
I know we talked about this at Beaver and I still think the biggest issue with GSXR brakes is the POS Nissen master. At least when I was running the 07 750 0GSXR front end on my SV that was the biggest issue. Replaced the master with an RCS and it was like night and day.
If you are going to have everything apart anyway see if you can find a late model R1 or R6 OE master. Made by Brembo and typically available for under $100 used. Or spring for a Brembo 19X18 or RCS :-) Dump in some Motul while you're at it and you should be good to go.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:32 am 
Serious 'Ho

Yeah I'm going to take it in stages. I've got the RBF fluid in there now with good pads. My next step is the SS lines and see how it does. I haven't completely given up on the thought of running one or two Superstock races next year so if I can get away with just SS lines that would be ideal.

If I still get too much fade or I give up the idea of racing because I'm slow then I'll put on an R6 master cyl. or a brembo; if i still get fade I'll swap to R6/R1 calipers too; or just by an R6 haha.

Or maybe I just need to brake less :fact .

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:10 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 09 R6
Bike/Plate #: 561
SS lines prevent expansion from heat. If your getting fade that's most likely the culprit assuming your lines are bleed properly. It's $100 buy a set any set and you'll be fine

Nesba MidAtl Asst Director#561

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:44 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
foster wrote:
one or two Superstock races next year so if I can get away with just SS lines that would be ideal.

I'm sure you can make your brakes better with ss lines, better fluid, etc, but in my IMHO they will not be good unless you change the master and/or calipers. Could you run the master and calipers off a 08/09 GSXR and still do a Superstock race? Do they even look any different than the 06/07? It seems like the 08/09 GSXR brakes have not had as many issues as the 06/07...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:22 pm 
Serious 'Ho

bacolmm wrote:
foster wrote:
one or two Superstock races next year so if I can get away with just SS lines that would be ideal.

I'm sure you can make your brakes better with ss lines, better fluid, etc, but in my IMHO they will not be good unless you change the master and/or calipers. Could you run the master and calipers off a 08/09 GSXR and still do a Superstock race? Do they even look any different than the 06/07? It seems like the 08/09 GSXR brakes have not had as many issues as the 06/07...

That's an interesting thought. The master and calipers look identical, although I think the 08/09 rotor thickness is a bit different so I'm not sure how that would affect things.

From what I'm reading if the parts are different at all you can't run superstock except to change out the lines. I would say running the 08/09 stuff would be gray area. Also I wonder if the problems just haven't cropped up as often because not as many dudes are racing the newer model yet.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:45 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
Your not kidding tj at riders discount does push the 1 into t then 2 like kits. I've always ran the style madski's talking about with 2 lines right from the master. I think as long as you go with a good set you'll be fine either way you go.

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:47 pm 
Major 'Ho

foster wrote:
bacolmm wrote:
foster wrote:
Also I wonder if the problems just haven't cropped up as often because not as many dudes are racing the newer model yet.

That very well could be, or it could be the change in rotor (thickness) that improved the performance. I can't remember if I grabbed your brake lever, but after feeling Pat and John's GSXR brakes, I don't know how you get those things stopped! I've watched Pat, John, and Kenny try to improve their brakes with fluid, lines, pads, rotors, etc, and the thing that really worked was Pat swapping the master/calipers. I'm toying with the idea of getting a 750 and if my brakes feel anything like John's or Pat's (before the Yamaha switch) I'll be replacing the master and calipers with something different (Yamaha).

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:02 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Tib wrote:
Your not kidding tj at riders discount does push the 1 into t then 2 like kits. I've always ran the style madski's talking about with 2 lines right from the master. I think as long as you go with a good set you'll be fine either way you go.

Thanks for the input Tib, we missed you at the Beav last time around.

bacolmm wrote:

That very well could be, or it could be the change in rotor (thickness) that improved the performance. I can't remember if I grabbed your brake lever, but after feeling Pat and John's GSXR brakes, I don't know how you get those things stopped! I've watched Pat, John, and Kenny try to improve their brakes with fluid, lines, pads, rotors, etc, and the thing that really worked was Pat swapping the master/calipers. I'm toying with the idea of getting a 750 and if my brakes feel anything like John's or Pat's (before the Yamaha switch) I'll be replacing the master and calipers with something different (Yamaha).

Here's the thing, as much as I was/am bitching about it, I still from what I can tell, turned my fastest laps of the day in the very last session. Yes I had the clicker all the way out to "1", and yes they were super squishy but they still got the job done. I ran 4 1:05's in a row and only fell off pace because I got lazy/tired. So hopefully just the SS lines will be enough. If not it sounds like I'll try the R6 master as its an easy switch.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:36 am 
Major 'Ho

foster wrote:
Tib wrote:

Thanks for the input Tib, we missed you at the Beav last time around.

bacolmm wrote:

Here's the thing, as much as I was/am bitching about it, I still from what I can tell, turned my fastest laps of the day in the very last session. Yes I had the clicker all the way out to "1", and yes they were super squishy but they still got the job done. I ran 4 1:05's in a row and only fell off pace because I got lazy/tired. So hopefully just the SS lines will be enough. If not it sounds like I'll try the R6 master as its an easy switch.

Nice work on the 1:05's!!! :toocool:

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Modifications, Maintenance & Repairs