Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Riding & Safety Gear

Post subject: Dealer that sells suits?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:39 am 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
I'd really like to get a 1 pc suit as I am now officially addicted to tracking the bike. I've found a pretty good deal on a Fieldsheer Radar suit, but since its closeout they won't let me return it if it doesn't fit. And none of the dealers close to me seem to stock suits; at least not the ones I normally frequent. Anyone know of any dealers in NE Ohio that carry suits? Iron Pony (I think) is in Westerville but that's about 2 hours from me.

Anyone have an opinion on the Fieldsheer radar? It looks like it would be VERY cool in the hot weather, but I don't want to sacrifice too much protection.

I saw the thread below asking pretty much the same question but for PA, and I have a good guess about my size, I'd just like to try one on if possible.

Post subject: Re: Dealer that sells suits?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I've heard of Irony Pony but never been there.
There are some good on-line outfits like SportBikeTrackGear.com (STG) that will let you return stuf if you order it and it does not fit. We have a relationship with Nick at STG through this board. He's at ext 205 and he's been doing a great job of taking care of the guys here with discounts and awesome service.
So far as Feildsheer, I'm not familiar with the Radar suit but I have seen very mixed feedback on their stuff. My personal take on this stuff is that while it's expensive it is the only thing between you and the pavement. As such I look at it like helmets, what's the protection worth?
I've seen suits fail at the track and nothing is perfect but there is a pattern as to what seems to hold up and what doesn't.
Personally I ride in a A*s MX-1 which fits great and from what I've seen holds up very well in an off.
Take a look at what places are offering. GixxerSixer has personally tested a number of brands so I hope he chimes in :thumbup:
You can get a good buy on a good suit this time of year as styles change and dealers are trying to lower inventory for winter.
I guess my main point is don't skimp on your personal protection, it's not worth it.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:17 pm 
Serious 'Ho

madski wrote:
I guess my main point is don't skimp on your personal protection, it's not worth it.

Thanks for the info, I'll give Nick a call and see what recommendations he has. And I completely agree with your last line.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:37 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
madski wrote:
GixxerSixer has personally tested a number of brands so I hope he chimes in :thumbup:

haha yeah i do a good job at that.
I've had a Alpinestars SG1 suit that i crash tested. I liked the suit,b ut it was a bit heavy but it def has good protection in the arms, legs, and its nice and thick so no burn through if you go down.
My suit now is a Teknic Chicane i think. is a midranges suit. It nice and light compared to the A stars but the protection lacks in comparison to the A*. i crashed in this suit twice and i have 2 small burn throughs and some seams broke. My next suit willprob be another Teknic suit, but ill just upgade to one of their more expensive suits

WERA & NESBA #45

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:09 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
Now that I am joining the crash ranks with Justin, I'll comment.

I have an A* suit (not sure of the model) but it was a clearance model 2 years ago. I have wrecked in it twice in the last 2 months and it has performed perfectly. I could not be happier.

I will agree with Mike though, do not skimp on the gear to save a few dollers. It does not mean you have to buy the most expensive items, but make sure to do your research and get something good.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:40 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 GSXR600
Bike/Plate #: 72
I haven't really seen any dealer who stock suits. there are so many brands, sizes and colors that they would never have the one you want.

I have an A* 2pc that held up ok. the zipper held and the leather was only scuffed. i also just tested the Teknic Violator. it held up great in a 80mph off, only scuffs and scrapes with one seam opened up about 4 inches long on the forearm on a cosmetic area.

For the price, $400, the violator was a good suit.

STG is a good place to deal with, they even price match if you find a better deal.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:46 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '08 R1 (double duty)
Bike/Plate #: 818
stevedave wrote:
I will agree with Mike though, do not skimp on the gear to save a few dollers. It does not mean you have to buy the most expensive items, but make sure to do your research and get something good.
Now that I am joining the crash ranks with Justin, I'll comment.

I have an A* suit (not sure of the model) but it was a clearance model 2 years ago. I have wrecked in it twice in the last 2 months and it has performed perfectly. I could not be happier.

I like my A* gear, but I don't really have any valuable comparisons to refer to either. My pants and jacket held up well through my crash other than the seam threads getting ground off and opening the seam on the shoulder. Otherwise the protection was greatly appreciated. :nod:

Basically, do a little research and get the best gear you can comfortably afford. It's the best insurance you're gonna have in the unfortunate event of a get off and the last thing that you want to skimp on.

I would definitely check out STG before buying elsewhere.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:34 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 04 R6
Bike/Plate #: 383
I think the teknic are the best cash for quality ratio

nesba has some close out on suits now and like mike said can't go wrong with stg

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 pm 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): Yamaha PW80
Bike/Plate #: 0
If I ever get rich I'm thinking about having one of those fitted 2 piece from like Vanson or someplace where you take 30,000 measurements and it supposedly fits you right. Since they don't make off the rack stuff to fit short round guys, that's my only choice short of having one altered to beat hell. My cheap crap will have to do for now.

Or I could drop a bunch of weight.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:07 pm 
Serious 'Ho

silvr6 wrote:
I think the teknic are the best cash for quality ratio

nesba has some close out on suits now and like mike said can't go wrong with stg

Wow, nice thanks for passing that along. This is why I wish there was a place to try them on, but its not looking good on that front. From the measurement charts I should be in a size 46, but the poster of that thread says the suits run almost 1 size smaller.

Thanks for all the info, I think I'm going to wear my 2 pc for my last trackday this season at Beaverun and then keep my eyes peeled for a good deal over the winter.

GixxerSixxer, sorry to hear you're the resident expert in the "protective gear review from first hand knowledge category" :wink: . I'm curious though if the A* held up well in the crash why did you switch to a Teknic? Just the weight issue?

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Riding & Safety Gear