Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Riding & Safety Gear

Post subject: Time to start hunting...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:06 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
...some new gear that is.

I was taking inventory of my gear and my helmet is getting pretty old, my leathers are beat up from the two wrecks and are wearing (plus I would like to get a 1 piece) , and my boots are also about shot after the wrecks and just wear and tear.

As far as boots, I may pick up the same Sidi's Justin has. They have my size on clearance at newenough.com for $189, an awesome price.

In regards to leathers, I really liked my A*, they did great it my wrecks. I am a firm believer in buying quality gear, but I am not going to spend thousands of $$ on a suit. Looking for a good suit, maybe a previous model that is left over that someone might have marked down or on clearance. If you find anything, let me know.

Lastly, my scorpion helmet has been good, but I think I would like to upgrade. I noticed at NJMP that the inside of my helmet was soaked with sweat and Justin's Suomy was bone dry. I guess all the padding in the scorpion makes it not so breathable. Any suggestions on what helmets to look at? I was going to go try on Shoei and Arais at a local dealer at some point to see what fit my head the best.

Anyway, opinions and advice expected...

Post subject: Re: Time to start hunting...
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:30 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 03 R1 Tack Bike - 09 GSXR 750 Street Bike
Bike/Plate #: 22
I've always had Shoei's and Arai's. Both brands are lightweight, lots of airflow and crashed well. The newest model of the Arai's don't fit my head properly anymore so that's why I have stayed with Shoei.

On the Wera forum, Riders Discount gives big discounts on both Shoei's and Arai's...anywhere from 25+% or more off.

This winter I'm planning on doing the same thing...I need to repair my suit, replace my gloves, replace my boots and buy a new street jacket (the current one is about 10 years old and getting ratty).

Nesba #22

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:22 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): '07 R1, '07 YZ450F (MX and 'tard), '05 YZ250F, etc
Bike/Plate #: 914
http://denniskirk.com

sign up for their email lists and they'll send you about 1-2 weekly messages describing their sales. Last one I got was for up to 90% off Thor gear (I ride MX more than track) in their clearance areas.

Their pricing is one of the better ones I've seen. I need to look at some other sites too. But, for the most part, DK gets most of my gear business.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
I really like my Suomy - the only downsides with is are that shield change is a pain in the ass and they are a bit on the noisy side. It does flow well and the alcantra lining is very nice. The other thing is that they are very light. It's a great helmet IF it fits your head.

I like my A*s MX-1. I have not had the pleasure of testing it and I hope it stays that way but it fits great, it's comfortable on and it flows air OK when moving. Another big plus is the zip out liner. I take it out after a track weekend and toss it in the washer and I have a "clean" suit for the next outting that does not stink.
A lot of guys seem to like the Heroic stuff Todd McNabby (sp) is selling these days.

If boots like Jr's fit you you can't beat that deal. Sidi's do tend to run narrower than A*s boots.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:15 pm 
Serious 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): K7 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 535
I really like my Shark RSR2. Neither the Shoei or the Arai seem to fit my head quite right and I just happened to try on a Shark, it was perfect for me. Really light too just under 3lbs. Since I hit my head in my crash I needed a new one and decided to stick with the same model. Found a new one on eBay from guess who...Riders Discount for around $230 shipped. I'm happy.

I didn't have to test my gloves or boots but my Teknic Violator suit held up well. I slid for quite awhile as it is a fast corner and scuffed the suit in a couple places with no seams torn and only a dime size hole in the outer leather layer on the hip. SportBikeTrack gear also has a "crash tested" review of this suit and it did well for them. I don't know about now but last year you could find left-over Violators for really good prices. If you get an older Teknic suit get a size bigger but their "new last year" stuff is true to size I have heard. SBTG would be able to help clarify.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:39 am 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2011 GSXR 750
Bike/Plate #: 25
I need to get a new helmet as well. I've had my eye on this one for a while, but have been too broke (from buying track days) to pull the trigger. Now that I'm having tire warmer issues again, I'll probably further delay purchasing. This helmet is supposed to have an excellent venting system...

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/spor ... ica+helmet

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:29 pm 
'Ho Extraordinaire

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 45
bacolmm wrote:
I need to get a new helmet as well. I've had my eye on this one for a while, but have been too broke (from buying track days) to pull the trigger. Now that I'm having tire warmer issues again, I'll probably further delay purchasing. This helmet is supposed to have an excellent venting system...

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/spor ... ica+helmet

have heard good things about Bell helmets

WERA & NESBA #45

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Riding & Safety Gear