Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Riding & Safety Gear

Post subject: post crash gear advice
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:15 pm 
lil'Ho

Bike/Plate #: 0
I had a fairly complicated get off at Shenandoah on Sat. I was hoping to get some feedback or confirmation on my thoughts about what to do with my gear.
First, the helmet. No visible EPS damage, but I'm definitely planning on trashing and replacing.
Second, the gloves. The l left glove is untouched, the right has a bit of palm scuff and the seam that holds the closure to the back of the glove started to come apart. I'm thinking I will try to get this fixed.
Third, the boots. The left boot has a hole worn through the toe leather, but the plastic(?) underneath is still very solid. The right boot has a nasty slice in the inner arch area - I'm pretty sure this is from my broken right footpeg (likely broken with my heel - it is the only damage on the right side of the moto). I'm thinking I'll try to get both areas repaired/patched.
Lastly, the suit. There is a major wear hole on top of the right shoulder - the seam actually held, but the leather and bit of foam over the armor are gone. There was a significant seam failure on the left leg of the pants. When I originally got the suit, I thought this seam was a doubling layer. In fact, it is a fairly critical side seam with a simple double row stitch - no fold over, etc. The suit also allowed the broken footpeg (I think) to puncture my right shin - this was just a mm or two above my boot. Overall, while the suit generally did its job and the puncture is pretty unlucky, I'm not overly impressed and I'm leaning toward trashing it and buying new vs attempting any repairs.
Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: post crash gear advice
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
Sorry to her about your off...
I think almost anyone will tell you that the helmet is done. On the other stuff it really depends on your level of comfort with repairs. Gloves are probably the best chance of surviving. Boot also looks like the seam let go? Probably can be fixed. The scuff does not look like that big of deal.
I think the suit is not worth trying to fix, especially if you don't have confidence in it already.

Hope you heal up soon - keep us posted!

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:43 am 
'Ho Proper

Current TrackWhore(s): 2007 ZX6R (track ho) ZZR1200 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 152
madski wrote:
Sorry to her about your off...
I think almost anyone will tell you that the helmet is done. On the other stuff it really depends on your level of comfort with repairs. Gloves are probably the best chance of surviving. Boot also looks like the seam let go? Probably can be fixed. The scuff does not look like that big of deal.
I think the suit is not worth trying to fix, especially if you don't have confidence in it already.

Hope you heal up soon - keep us posted!

I agree with what Madski said. :nod:

How is your scooter, hope it came through ok too.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:00 pm 
Major 'Ho

Current TrackWhore(s): 2009 Yamaha R6
Bike/Plate #: 65
If you ask junior, he'll say to just duct tape it... :dunce:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:54 am 
lil'Ho

Bike/Plate #: 0
madski wrote:
Boot also looks like the seam let go? Probably can be fixed.

If you click through the thumbnail, you should be able to tell it is sliced. I'm thinking a patch and the associated extra leather in this area would be good in the unlikely event I encounter the nasty broken-off footpeg situation again.

zedpilot wrote:
How is your scooter, hope it came through ok too.

As I mentioned, the right side is footpeg only. On the left, it is still not too bad - just a bunch of small parts: bar end plug, signals, frame slider/puck, rear footpeg/bracket, and the shifter is trashed and was leaking oil at the pivot which I haven't looked at closely yet but hopefully isn't too bad.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Current TrackWhore(s): Daytona 675 (track) R1 (street)
Bike/Plate #: 369
JDRxb9 wrote:
madski wrote:
Boot also looks like the seam let go? Probably can be fixed.

If you click through the thumbnail, you should be able to tell it is sliced. I'm thinking a patch and the associated extra leather in this area would be good in the unlikely event I encounter the nasty broken-off footpeg situation again.

I guess if someone can patch it properly it should work. I figure I wear gear for the worst possible scenario - only you can answer if you are comfortable with a given repair under those circumstances.

Ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

www.WickedRacing.com - Go Fast Parts & Gear for Riders and Their Motorcycles
PM me for "TrackWhore" special discounts

Board index » TRACKWHORES.COM - General Discussions » Riding & Safety Gear